How to improving Trail Reports on ClubTread - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History
Default How to improving Trail Reports on ClubTread

As suggested by VSadmin, creating a thread to capture suggestions for improving the tools we have for creating and finding trail reports. A few ideas off the top of my head

1. Better media manager and method for attaching photos, gps tracks and other artifacts into reports
2. Adding a searchable Trail report "header" capturing key details (location, distance, elevation, difficulty, characteristics etc.)
3. Metatagging for reports
4. Ability to "save" in progress trail reports
5. Ability to filter and search trail reports

www.10hikes.com has some good examples of how reports can be structured

A key defining principle should be around ease of use. Sending out a 3 page procedure on how to do X within the current tool, is not ease of use.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-19-2018, 11:49 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

I like the idea of downloadable .gpx files, ala Trail Peak, where you are rewarded for sharing trip reports with 'credits' to be used for downloading .gpx's for other trails (if someone has provided one).

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Interest: Poutine-lovin', maple syrup junkie.

Awesome,

Any more feedback from you guys?
We'll help do what we can as we are limited to certain functions

Cheers,

Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 03:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

#1 and #4 on k78's list would be huge..

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:09 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

I would prefer to keep a more discussion-board oriented format, that's where CT strength is. While 10hikes looks useful, it is more of a trail database, I can't see any discussions happening there.

I think the most wanted upgrade is easier photo uploading for trip reports. Currently I have to resize them so they are not too big, then drag 'n drop them on the upload area. Now, once they are in the CT message, they are just numbers, so it's hard to keep track of which number corresponds to which picture so I can arrange them inside the text of my trip report. It would be nice to have a thumbnail in the body of the message.

It would be nice to have the picture caption functionality restored. Imagine reading a newspaper that had no picture captions?

nwhikers has a good format for reading trip reports, not sure about how it works for creating one, but for reading trip reports they have nailed it. For example, please look at this trip report:
http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewt...118341#1118341
-Each picture has a caption
-When you click on the picture it fills to the size of your browser
-Press ESC to get rid of the picture or arrow keys to scroll through the pictures.

I believe this should be doable with our current forum software.

Things that I don't have an issue with right now:
-Advertisements (just log in/use adblocker)
-Site navigation on a phone
-GPX files (we can already attach them to messages)
-Searching is OK, I can usually find what I'm looking for.

After photo uploading is fixed we can move on to fixing the trail wiki!
Elkaholic and russellcoffin like this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-20-2018, 06:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
I would prefer to keep a more discussion-board oriented format, that's where CT strength is. While 10hikes looks useful, it is more of a trail database

Agreed, this 10 hikes format, where the elevation profile, etc can be databased would come into play with a possible trail wiki..

If .gpx files can be added (how?), they aren't, that I can see. Some kind of incentive, maybe?

Last edited by dougz; 02-20-2018 at 06:27 PM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
I would prefer to keep a more discussion-board oriented format, that's where CT strength is. While 10hikes looks useful, it is more of a trail database, I can't see any discussions happening there.
I agree with the principle of keeping ClubTread discussion-board centric, however my main point is that trip reports should be more than just a "really really big post". A good trip report that people can easily create, find and consume, which leads to valuable discussions would IMHO be the best of both worlds
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSadmin View Post
Awesome,

Any more feedback from you guys?
We'll help do what we can as we are limited to certain functions

Cheers,

Ed
This is what concerns me. In the past when these discussions come up, it all end up being little tweaks here and there that are "limited by the platform". There is no conversation about stepping back and truly understanding the requirements and developing the tool accordingly. It feels like the concept is to milk the ad revenue while making as little investment as possible and accepting that the community is a depreciating asset
martin likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 04:50 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
I agree with the principle of keeping ClubTread discussion-board centric, however my main point is that trip reports should be more than just a "really really big post". A good trip report that people can easily create, find and consume, which leads to valuable discussions would IMHO be the best of both worlds
Yes, I think a trip report in the discussion forum would contain a link to the appropriate trail in the trail wiki, where you can find the gpx file, driving directions, fancy map etc..
And if someone is stumbling through the trail wiki and finds a trail, a link to the trip reports in the discussion section should appear there.
Big Ian and kellymcdonald78 like this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 07:01 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Yes, I think a trip report in the discussion forum would contain a link to the appropriate trail in the trail wiki, where you can find the gpx file, driving directions, fancy map etc..
And if someone is stumbling through the trail wiki and finds a trail, a link to the trip reports in the discussion section should appear there.
I vote for this with as many hands as I'm allowed to stick up.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
This is what concerns me. In the past when these discussions come up, it all end up being little tweaks here and there that are "limited by the platform". There is no conversation about stepping back and truly understanding the requirements and developing the tool accordingly. It feels like the concept is to milk the ad revenue while making as little investment as possible and accepting that the community is a depreciating asset
I can assure you that we (the admin team) are not at all focused on milking ad revenue. Our focus is to try to maintain/improve the functionality of the site. Sometimes there are limitations based on software, but if we are able to do/add something to improve a site, and then see what we can do about it. We start these discussions to see what are the most pressing issues on the site.

That being said, there were a lot of suggestions so I think it would be helpful to try to narrow things down a bit and try to work our way through the list accordingly. Is it safe to assume that improvements to photo uploading (with the ability to caption photos) might be a good place to start? I'm not promising that it will happen - the tech team will need to check to see if there are any add ons available for vBulletin software to accommodate these requests, but if you guys are okay with this as a first step, we will see what can be done.

Cheers,

Erik
post #12 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

I think that would be a great start
post #13 of (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 10:18 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
As I was reading through this thread, almost exactly this ^ was what I was thinking of. Integrate the trail list and the trip reports. Every trip report should be tagged to the appropriate page(s) in the list, and a click on an entry in the list should list every TR linked to it, sorted by date (and perhaps by # of upvotes, giving the "like" function a purpose). This makes finding TRs for a specific trail/area a breeze. Creating a TR for a new trail/area means creating a new entry on the trail list.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 01:50 PM
Administrator

Thanks for your input folks. I've sent in a request to the technical team to see what can be done to get the ball rolling. Hopefully the current software will be able to support some of the upgrades you have requested.

Cheers,

Erik
post #15 of (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Do any of you guys want to post your trips in the home page?

if you send us a report, I think we can get it hosted on there?

https://www.clubtread.com/

Lee

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page