How to improving Trail Reports on ClubTread - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

22Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2018, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Interest: Poutine-lovin', maple syrup junkie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
It's pretty disappointing that the tech team is limited to using existing plug-ins. If find it hard to believe a company the size of Vertical Scope (firmly in the medium sized enterprise bucket) has no in-house development capability to extend and enhance its core platform.
With respect, we actually do have in house developers. Presently they are building out network wide updates to- and this is not the complete list- major accounts management, registration processes, spam prevention, server migration tools, a total overhaul of the mobile interface schema which will also include a vastly improved gallery system, and SSL migration. In addition to maintaining and QA-ing existing plugins that they did build such as the drag and drop attachment system.

So, "limited" is a bit of a misunderstanding. Required to at a present time would be more apt

Kyle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 03:24 PM
Summit Master

I just responded to yet another PM trying to help someone how to upload photos and write TR. This has been brought many times, but nobody seems to be willing to do anything.

You can not benchmark your UI interface from developer viewpoint. I was software developer for 20+ years and it is all logical and easy to me. But this is NOT how most people see it. People want to write reports and can't. This is what is hurting CT by far the most from user drain perspective and not all of these other things your quote above.
martin, treord8 and russellcoffin like this.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 06-28-2018, 09:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I did a TR recently and it was the usual PITA. It's like talking to an absentee landlord around here....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
I just responded to yet another PM trying to help someone how to upload photos and write TR. This has been brought many times, but nobody seems to be willing to do anything.

You can not benchmark your UI interface from developer viewpoint. I was software developer for 20+ years and it is all logical and easy to me. But this is NOT how most people see it. People want to write reports and can't. This is what is hurting CT by far the most from user drain perspective and not all of these other things your quote above.
The drag and drop system was not benchmarked by the devs is was qa'd by users, what about a drag and drop uploader is so infuriating? That it doesn't put it inline automatically? If you're talking about mobile they are literally rebuilding the image system on mobile from the ground up right now, it just got sideline while we put the network on new servers and ssl.

Kyle

admin..
post #35 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSadmin View Post
The drag and drop system was not benchmarked by the devs is was qa'd by users, what about a drag and drop uploader is so infuriating? That it doesn't put it inline automatically? If you're talking about mobile they are literally rebuilding the image system on mobile from the ground up right now, it just got sideline while we put the network on new servers and ssl.

Kyle

Translation "you're holding it wrong". If the admins would spend more time trying to understand requirements rather than get defensive when this topic is brought up we would be a lot further along
russellcoffin likes this.
post #36 of (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Putting the pictures inline is very infuriating. Using this website is infuriating. Trying to receive help from Clubtread is arghhhhhhh

Name:  MEME.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  107.9 KB

Last edited by russellcoffin; 07-10-2018 at 05:32 PM.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 08:40 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 View Post
Translation "you're holding it wrong". If the admins would spend more time trying to understand requirements rather than get defensive when this topic is brought up we would be a lot further along
Nothing I said was defensive, since details were not specified at what was the problem I asked for clarification. Also nothing I said amounts to user blame but that shouldn't take away from your frustration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcoffin View Post
Putting the pictures inline is very infuriating. Using this website is infuriating. Trying to receive help from Clubtread is arghhhhhhh

Attachment 259532
Thank you, As it happens I'm trying to work with the devs behind the drag and drop to make it so you can literally drag the image into the position you want it in the text. I imagine this is more inclined to what you would want to see correct?

Kyle

admin..
post #38 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:20 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
Thank you, As it happens I'm trying to work with the devs behind the drag and drop to make it so you can literally drag the image into the position you want it in the text. I imagine this is more inclined to what you would want to see correct?
Kyle
Yes, the ordering of the pictures is difficult to keep track of, when you have 10 or 15 pictures, because they change names once they are uploaded. Ideally, as you said, drag the image into the position you want in the text, and it would be nice to be able to add a caption to the picture.
VSadmin likes this.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 12:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

^ Kyle, that drag and drop idea would be great. You are right to ask for clarification, as there is no use complaining unless we explain what we mean. For some of us less techy types, that can be difficult.

One thing that's been mentioned numerous times is an automatic photo resizer. That would cut out a step.

Also... When pics are uploaded and appear in a report, and then show up again at the bottom of the post under "uploaded images" - well, that is just redundant and looks bad. I know the paper clip can solve that issue but it is a pain to use. The amount of refreshing the page and checking if things were done right is infuriating.

Have you considered putting together a "how to upload pics" video or tutorial that includes images and visuals?
VSadmin likes this.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 01:15 PM
Summit Master

Kyle -- I will give you couple of specifics, both based on experience trying to help others:

1) Automatic resizing. Ppl try to upload, wait...wait...wait... forever. Eventually they give up.

2) Drag&Drop. Pic has to be dropped inside the box --which is fair-- , but they drop it somewhere on the boundary and to quote someone "whole thing blows up" (Browser shows pic as separate page because upload script didn't kick in, but people don't understand this)

End result in both cases: People conclude CT is waste of time and go to Facebook because they can't screw it up regardless what they do.

(inline drag&drop sounds good & I'd use it myself, but I'm afraid it could also backfire for same reason some have problems with current drag&drop upload, see above)

Last edited by zeljkok; 07-13-2018 at 01:31 PM.
post #41 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 01:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Kyle -- I will give you couple of specifics, both based on experience trying to help others:

1) Automatic resizing. Ppl try to upload, wait...wait...wait... forever. Eventually they give up.

2) Drag&Drop. Pic has to be dropped inside the box --which is fair-- , but they drop it somewhere on the boundary and to quote someone "whole thing blows up" (Browser shows pic as separate page because upload script didn't kick in, but people don't understand this)

End result in both cases: People conclude CT is waste of time and go to Facebook because they can't screw it up regardless what they do.

(inline drag&drop sounds good & I'd use it myself, but I'm afraid it could also backfire for same reason some have problems with current drag&drop upload, see above)

I promise to return to CT when this drag and drop thingy(with a caption/description immediately below the pic) gets to where it needs to be as I have about 35 trip reports on backlog. Until then I'm outta' here
post #42 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 02:19 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Automatic sizing would help me a lot with posting TR's as all my pictures are always to big to post even my crappy cell phone pictures.
post #43 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2018, 01:14 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenshoes View Post
I promise to return to CT when this drag and drop thingy(with a caption/description immediately below the pic) gets to where it needs to be as I have about 35 trip reports on backlog. Until then I'm outta' here

Kyle: Read the above. Read it couple of times. The person that wrote this is mountaineer that goes places 99.9% of us can only dream about. He is willing to contribute to community, but you have chased him away. I know at least 10 more examples like this on Rockies side.

Basic problem you have is not (just) UI or "how to write reports". You have more fundamental issue of total disconnect with the community. End result? Except for couple of us that are stubborn & will stick to the bitter end, CT is pretty much a ghost town.
post #44 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Quote:

There are two sides to a resizer, what you're describing sounds more like despite what limits or lack there of we put on attachments if you try to push too much data to the site at one time it will time out. I can try to get bandwidth boosted but that only gets you so far if you're using high res photos. Having something on site that shrinks them would also suffer that same problem. The site has an auto resizer that keeps things from breaking formatting.

Re the theoretical Drag and Drop 2.0 the boundaries are a lot clearer in the posting box than the current drag area which should help with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenshoes View Post
If I can get the new version approved and built then a caption would just have to be typed in under your photo placement

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
Automatic sizing would help me a lot with posting TR's as all my pictures are always to big to post even my crappy cell phone pictures.
Even cellphones now are taking 5 meg photos at 1080p res

Quote:
Kyle: Read the above. Read it couple of times. The person that wrote this is mountaineer that goes places 99.9% of us can only dream about. He is willing to contribute to community, but you have chased him away. I know at least 10 more examples like this on Rockies side.

Basic problem you have is not (just) UI or "how to write reports". You have more fundamental issue of total disconnect with the community. End result? Except for couple of us that are stubborn & will stick to the bitter end, CT is pretty much a ghost town.
Which disconnect, time between response? That's unfortunately due to our entire network being pushed to a new server system and getting SSL upgrades leading to a massive resource cap. Or do you mean because I'm not nor are any of my team active members of the hiking community? Because honestly if that's the case I'll gladly go out and post my own trip reports.

Kyle

admin..
post #45 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2018, 01:13 PM
Summit Master

Quote:

Which disconnect, time between response? That's unfortunately due to our entire network being pushed to a new server system and getting SSL upgrades leading to a massive resource cap. Or do you mean because I'm not nor are any of my team active members of the hiking community? Because honestly if that's the case I'll gladly go out and post my own trip reports.

Kyle

Much more fundamental. As latest example you have long time user systematically erasing all his trip reports and posts that built legacy of this site over the years. It is 1 thing if someone does a walk around Lake Louise (or Lake Ontario beach) and posts few photos, it is completely different if experienced back-country user deletes whole bunch of posts that deal with remote Rockies areas that are totally off the beaten track. You are losing the backbone (content) that holds the site together.

Problem is general sentiment towards the management, and this is disconnect I am talking about. Above example is extreme and obviously totally unwarranted, but if someone does it is obvious you have problems.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page