CT Interface Usability Feedback - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default CT Interface Usability Feedback

This is quote from lobo, one of CT oldest and most productive members --both in terms of quality and quantity:

Quote:
Club Tread, which I have enjoyed for nine years and have done dozens of trip reports for, is a pain in the ass for me. In this particular TR I had many more pictures and had good descriptions for them, but CT has made it so difficult to post when at one time it was so easy. Zeljkok has tutored me on posting but even with his help I find it more trouble than its worth. Facebook is so much easier, if a picture is out of order, you just move it to where you want it, not with CT. I don't get the preview either. It used to be simple. It used to show your pics and text, now it's just numbers and text and the numbers don't match your picture ID, which isn't a problem if you only have a couple of photos. And I detest the fact that I can't delete my TR if I don't like it. I wish someone did a Youtube video on how to post pictures and text on this site.
This comment should be considered seriously as it is 1 of most quoted reasons for CT user drain. I can not give useful feedback myself, as I spent my career in software & any interface comes naturally to me. But not everyone is that way & I know of at least dozen of people that gave up for same reason.

It might be a good idea to start separate thread of type "Ok guys, what do you want? How do we make it easy so everyone gets it & can contribute intuitively and fast?" This should include mobile interface, as it really is very difficult to post TR from the mobile, enhanced view or not.
ashi likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Agree that the interface has to be simplified. It works fine for discussion posts, but not for Trip Reports. Right now I find it so much easier to create a TR on my Wordpress site and link to it on Club Tread. There has to be better a widget that could be used for creating TR posts
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 12:05 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Much agreed! It is a complete pain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 01:55 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Something like this would be a step in the right direction:
https://vbsocial.com/vbulletin-drag-drop-images-files/

It doesn't look like this plugin does image captions though.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Interest: Poutine-lovin', maple syrup junkie.

Thank you so much for the feedback.
Should we make a thread with detailed steps to get users rolling when entering the forum?

Ed
lobo and ashi like this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSadmin View Post
Should we make a thread with detailed steps to get users rolling when entering the forum?

Ed
I would suggest 2 things to start with:

1) Detail instructions + You Tube Video on existing interface

2) Start separate thread, managed by you (VSAdmins) where people would list what they'd like changed. There is going to be lots of this or that, but at the end 3 or 4 main things would surface. (i.e. modeling on Facebook, that gets mentioned so often and everyone seems to be very familiar with)
lobo and russellcoffin like this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 07:43 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Borrowing or lending?

Quote:

Ed
No. You should make an interface that doesn't require extensive learning.

You can have the greatest manual in the world but most people won't read it.

I can post ANY picture I have in my phone directly to Facebook without doing anything more than clicking on it. Pictures there never come out sideways or upside down, huge panos are no problem, videos are just as easy. Make it that easy here and you don't need instructions.
lobo and ashi like this.

The greatest signature ever, tribute.

Last edited by Wandering Tree Frog; 12-10-2017 at 07:46 AM.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-10-2017, 11:14 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering Tree Frog View Post
No. You should make an interface that doesn't require extensive learning.
I tend to agree, although learning aids are helpful for sure BIll Gates once said that truly usable interfaces are the ones as "easy to use as a toaster". There's a point to that. As a software guy I've got a 'batch' routine that takes my excessively large pics, converts them to an acceptable format, re-sizes them and ensures their file size is within limits. On FB I just have to drag and drop the same pic into the input box. Even with a snappy production routine CT is a pain to use. It was, at one time, old school but quite useable.

All that said because over the years, CT has been a seriously valuable connection to the hiking/climbing community. It has many hundreds of TR's that exceed the quality of anything found in social media and has been the repository for many of our hiking/exploring adventures. However, I find myself not posting as often, even though we've had some great excursions. It's just too annoying for smaller less meaningful trips

CT is a pain to use, and utterly USELESS from a mobile phone. It should be simple, intelligent and take but a few minutes to master with little effort.
lobo and treord8 like this.

Last edited by xj6response; 12-10-2017 at 11:15 AM. Reason: missed words
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Interest: Poutine-lovin', maple syrup junkie.

What about CT that makes it useless to access from a mobile phone? What phone and browser are you using? Is it posting pics/videos that is convoluted or just everything in general in the mobile site, including posting, navigation, etc.?

Thanks,
Nate
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Nate, others will speak, but I think you'll hear everything!

Bottom line: most people are using mobiles today. They are used to ease Facebook gives them. They don't have time or patience for complex interfaces, learning how to do things, etc. They want simple and quick.

There could be various ways to handle this, but one approach is CT smartphone app. That gives much more flexibility as in browser you are limited to Java Script. Most everyone today has both web interface and native smartphone app for their products. I am aware you might not have time or resources for project like this, but it is something to consider.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 02:52 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Simplicity is THE key. Fine to make a smartphone app but before you do that improve the existing interface. I agree with the FB suggestion about simplicity but that's it as it's dead easy to download photos. FB as a resource is useless as no one searches the archives for a trip report. (IF I have to hear one more request about the condition of Chester Lake/Heart Mt/EEOR on Hike Alberta I'm gonna die) Conversely the ability to search trip reports etc. I find more than adequate.

I desperately want this site to thrive but in its current state it is doomed to do the opposite.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenshoes View Post
IF I have to hear one more request about the condition of Chester Lake/Heart Mt/EEOR on Hike Alberta I'm gonna die
LOL
What do you have against Chester Lake

Actually I think part of the appeal of CT as resource is to cater to wide range. On "high end" you have people like you or Steven Song. On "low end" (figuratively, no disrespect) you have beginner hikers that ARE interested in Chester Lake or EEOR or...

But to achieve that, yes simplicity is the key. That goes across generation span. Younger folks sleep with facebook under their pillow. Give them something even slightly more complicated and they will loathe it. Older folks are more used to hard copy books, maps etc. So equally web based resource needs to be simple in order they accept it.
russellcoffin likes this.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

I think automatic resizing of large images when they are uploaded would be a good start. On the recent trip report I did, it was a bit cumbersome to find the image, load it into Paint, resize, Save As in another folder, then drag to the trip report thread, then click on the paper clip icon, etc.

Also there was a little quirk, every 2nd picture I uploaded when I clicked the paper clip, the picture wouldn't be in the list and I had to select Insert All.

Automatic resizing would save one step, and having it appear in the thread right away without having to click on the paper clip would save another step.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 10:42 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, Skiing, Space History

Quote:
What about CT that makes it useless to access from a mobile phone? What phone and browser are you using? Is it posting pics/videos that is convoluted or just everything in general in the mobile site, including posting, navigation, etc.?

Thanks,
Nate
Id suggest trying to create a trip report (multiple photos and paragraphs of text) using only the mobile interface. Youll see the limitations pretty quick
ashi likes this.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 11:55 PM
Summit Master

I flipped through this thread with some interest. One of the main reasons why I first stopped doing TR's was the lack of usability of the 'new' interface. Under the old system, I could write up my trip report, click on a button, a new window would pop up, I could drag and drop a large number (20 at a time? Can't recall now) of pics (my original large edited size), the system would automatically upload, resize, and give me image tags for all of them, then I could intersperse them among the TR. Extremely quick and easy.

The new UI changed all of that and required too many steps - far longer/difficult process that I didn't care to figure out. (Then I got busy with other things, and Ashi blogs our good stuff anyways.)

-Ryan

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page