CT Interface Usability Feedback - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Interest: Poutine-lovin', maple syrup junkie.

Plans for the site to be accessible through an app are actually on the table, though it would still be a ways off as such a project would take time. It would most likely be based off the existing mobile view, so any updates we have for it will reflect in that future app (and again, really can't stress enough that such a thing is still just in theory stage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
I think automatic resizing of large images when they are uploaded would be a good start. On the recent trip report I did, it was a bit cumbersome to find the image, load it into Paint, resize, Save As in another folder, then drag to the trip report thread, then click on the paper clip icon, etc.

Also there was a little quirk, every 2nd picture I uploaded when I clicked the paper clip, the picture wouldn't be in the list and I had to select Insert All.

Automatic resizing would save one step, and having it appear in the thread right away without having to click on the paper clip would save another step.
These 2 things are hopefully ones that can have immediate action to rectify. For resizing, what size are your images starting at, what size would we want? Right now the system is set to images 2048x2048. I could tweak to allow all image sizes for attachments, but in the thread they would be thumbnail size, click on the pic to get the bigger picture.

And for the quirk: what browser are you using?

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 11:00 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSadmin View Post
I could tweak to allow all image sizes for attachments, but in the thread they would be thumbnail size, click on the pic to get the bigger picture.
Kevin
I don't know about other people but I always like larger photos in the post as they are now.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 11:17 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
LOL
What do you have against Chester Lake

Actually I think part of the appeal of CT as resource is to cater to wide range. On "high end" you have people like you or Steven Song. On "low end" (figuratively, no disrespect) you have beginner hikers that ARE interested in Chester Lake or EEOR or...

But to achieve that, yes simplicity is the key. That goes across generation span. Younger folks sleep with facebook under their pillow. Give them something even slightly more complicated and they will loathe it. Older folks are more used to hard copy books, maps etc. So equally web based resource needs to be simple in order they accept it.
Nothing against CL or equiv. My point was is that on a Group FB page users are more inclined to ask than search thru the archives and usually find an answer. This site I find it's pretty easy to search and find an answer or at the very least valuable data. Not so on FB. All I ask is the ability to load pics and text and then EASILY rearrange.(also as mentioned by others here) Once that is achieved TRs' will become more commonplace and users will increasingly search the inevitable archives to follow. In other words, the "perfect storm". I do remain ever hopeful however.
treord8 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 01:19 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
And for the quirk: what browser are you using?
Kevin
Google Chrome, recent version.
Check out this video, it might explain it better. (Sorry I don't have the radio announcer voice, lol)
https://vimeo.com/247009810
post #20 of (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 03:55 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Also there was a little quirk, every 2nd picture I uploaded when I clicked the paper clip, the picture wouldn't be in the list and I had to select Insert All.
Same thing happens to me. Makes it very frustrating to know what pictures I am inserting.
post #21 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 09:41 AM
Administrator

I see you're using the drag and drop. To be honest, I use the manage attachments tool and can upload multiple images there and they all appear in the attachments menu so I can choose the one I want to insert inline with my text.

Have you tried the attachment tool in the Go Advanced option? When you use the drag and drop, did those files/images always appear in the attachments drop-down menu at the top before? If so, when did you notice this stopped?

Thanks,
Nate
post #22 of (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 03:04 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
I see you're using the drag and drop. To be honest, I use the manage attachments tool and can upload multiple images there and they all appear in the attachments menu so I can choose the one I want to insert inline with my text.

Have you tried the attachment tool in the Go Advanced option? When you use the drag and drop, did those files/images always appear in the attachments drop-down menu at the top before? If so, when did you notice this stopped?

Thanks,
Nate
I haven't really used the attachment tool before, in the past I've just dragged one image at a time, then clicked on the little down-arrow next to the paper clip to insert it. I'm pretty sure the images that i've dragged and dropped into the box have always been in the paper-clip drop down list, but I can't be sure, so I don't know if it's a recent problem or not.

It would be nice if the attachment tool would be able to accept multiple images, ie you click on "Choose File", and then you can multi-select a few .jpg files and then click upload.

Thanks
post #23 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 09:43 AM
Administrator

The drag and drop function on the desktop view of the site does.

Do you mean you want to bulk insert images? Get the drop menu with the paperclip, and then highlight several for mass placing inline? (just wanting to make sure I understand. Don't think that's possible unless a piece of software was written to do so)

Kevin
Attached Images

post #24 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 11:42 AM
Summit Master

OK I've just figured it out while composing this message. To me it didn't make sense to have more images down below than were available in the paper clip drop down menu. The solution is to click "PREVIEW POST", then the paper clip dropdown will refresh and have all the images in it. Anyway, I still think there could be improvements made to the image uploading make it simpler to use.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ctattach.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	244354
post #25 of (permalink) Old 12-15-2017, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Anyway, I still think there could be improvements made to the image uploading make it simpler to use.
Yes. And martin is obviously very computer literate, still "I've just figured it out". Another example:

I use drag&drop all the time & have no problems with it. But once or twice whole thing just "blew up". Why?? What happened? Till I figured photo needs to be dropped strictly inside the boundaries of the "Drag files here to attach" box. If it somewhere along the border, browser script will take over and just display full size image! I figured it out so I'm ok, but I know of at least one long time contributor that got stumped by this & got fed up and stopped doing reports.

Bottom line: Ideal interface should be targeted to users that are not computer savvy. Once again, there is no need to reinvent the wheel --- old CT UI or even better Facebook everyone, even children that are not born yet, know how to use.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page