Banned - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Interest: Poutine-lovin', maple syrup junkie.

With regards to the viglinks, this is not something we add but viglink does this and you can see the disclosure comment "link added by viglink" when you hover over the word. This is random and programmatic, not targeted or controlled on a user by user basis.

More info on that can be read in this thread: https://forums.clubtread.com/9-site-f...ver-top-6.html

Thanks,
Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 03:25 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSadmin View Post
With regards to the viglinks, this is not something we add but viglink does this and you can see the disclosure comment "link added by viglink" when you hover over the word. This is random and programmatic, not targeted or controlled on a user by user basis.

More info on that can be read in this thread: https://forums.clubtread.com/9-site-f...ver-top-6.html

Thanks,
Nate
Please stop with this incredibly disingenuous line of reasoning. You use the viglink service and therefore you actually do add these links by proxy. Also, no one cars that it isn't targeted or controlled on a user by user basis. The fact that it exists at all and that Vertical Scope endorses its use is the concern. You could simply stop using the viglink service as a revenue generator as the users of this site have overwhelmingly implored you to do.

Also, I would like a representative of Vertical Scope to address my earlier concern about the claim that the content we publish here stays here.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 03:35 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Mountains,skiing,cooking,Conspiracies,reading

What would Grachman do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 07:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
Also, I would like a representative of Vertical Scope to address my earlier concern about the claim that the content we publish here stays here.
How I read the TOS is that it only gives VS the right to use our content only.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2017, 08:37 PM
Summit Master

I always think first of compromise and how to find something that works for both sides, but in case of these viglinks I can't. They are pure evil, horrendous degradation of all CT brand (used to) stand for

Google adds (grudgingly) "ok if you must" but viglinks are doom
post #21 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 12:36 AM
Headed for the Mountains

FYI the TR that I edited still do not have new links added into them...yet.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 12:55 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW View Post
FYI the TR that I edited still do not have new links added into them...yet.
Mike, it depends how they configured 'vigilindex' daemon to run. It is a question if it is smart enough to touch (reindex) reports that have been edited, as in your case, in addition to new ones. I would actually expect NOT, so maybe you amputated the beast. But it should never come to this
post #23 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 05:03 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Damn this is straight up bananas at how people feel about ads lol! I have more things to be concerned with in life and if someone ends up buying something off of Amazon because of one of my trip reports, haha good on them? But to each their own if it bothers you keep the crusade going.

I actually read the whole thread, get rid of the like feature it's pure laziness and useless. More people commenting on posts the better, I agree with that. STEVEN SONG since you're so big on Instagram now maybe throw in some #clubtread hashtags and for whoever else uses social media I suggest the same thing. It can't hurt, and it's worth a shot to try get some life back into the forum.

Lurkers suck.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Interest: Poutine-lovin', maple syrup junkie.

Quote:
Nor am I, but if I choose to remove my content at any point, where does it say they can keep it stashed somewhere? Is it the word "irrevocable"? That isn't in the Wordpress TOS as far as I can see.

Again from Wordpress, their legalese takes a fairly different tone in my opinion:

"By submitting Content to Automattic for inclusion on your website, you grant Automattic a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing, and promoting your blog. This license allows Automattic to make publicly-posted content available to third parties selected by Automattic (through the Automattic Firehose, for example) so that these third parties can analyze and distribute (but not publicly display) your content through their services. You also give other WordPress.com users permission to share your Content on other WordPress.com websites and add their own Content to it (aka to reblog your Content), so long as they use only a portion of your post and they give you credit as the original author by linking back to your website (the reblogging function on WordPress.com does this automatically!). If you delete Content, Automattic will use reasonable efforts to remove it from WordPress.com, but you acknowledge that caching or references to the Content may not be made immediately unavailable."
What Wordpress Terms did you pull that from? The site Terms are the same at the bottom of the Wordpress home page and the forum. http://www.verticalscope.com/aboutus...=clubtread.com

Quote:
Please stop with this incredibly disingenuous line of reasoning. You use the viglink service and therefore you actually do add these links by proxy. Also, no one cars that it isn't targeted or controlled on a user by user basis. The fact that it exists at all and that Vertical Scope endorses its use is the concern. You could simply stop using the viglink service as a revenue generator as the users of this site have overwhelmingly implored you to do.

See above and here http://www.verticalscope.com/aboutus...=clubtread.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
How I read the TOS is that it only gives VS the right to use our content only.
Yes, we have the right to use it. We've never claimed ownership of your content in so much as we can't pass it off as our own however once it's posted here you give us the right to use it here, irrevocably.

Kyle
post #25 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:10 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Hahaha! Sasquatches and searches for gold have come up a couple times now recently... Coincidence?

Yes, I do know your thoughts on links being added to the text in our posts and support you wholeheartedly. I don't blame you at all, but it's unfortunate that yet another long-time CTer is signing off. For the time being, I've (perhaps naively) decided to hang around, use a disclaimer on my posts, and push back on the site admin until things change or I, too, get banned. I backed up all my posts (that weren't already duplicated on Wordpress) in MS Word docs a week or two ago just in case I got banned and my posts were deleted.
As someone who has been lurking on here for 2 years prior to ever posting a trip report, I truly appreciate everyone who has contributed to ClubTread. For individuals such as myself who have only been exploring British Columbia's wilderness for a short period of time, your contributions are invaluable and perhaps have even saved lives. Whatever the case is for anyone wishing to leave, I respect your decisions although I would like to keep in touch. Sharing ideas, experiences and memories help everyone here.

Chris S.
Organizer
The Outdoor AND Culture Club Meetup
post #26 of (permalink) Old 12-04-2017, 10:12 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eryne View Post
Leaving. This site has lost it's value to me. I used to use it to look for hikes to do and to share about hikes I have done. I'd just not come back here, but my text is being used for those ads and, well, you know what I think about that. I have a plan. I'm going to start a thread about how the sasquatch has a lost gold mine where Trump lives. That should get me banned in about 5 seconds.
It will be sad to see you leave, especially after what you've done to help us all. Best wishes to you and a safe journey in your future endeavours. Also, what is this sasquatch and Trump's gold? I am obviously missing something here.

Chris S.
Organizer
post #27 of (permalink) Old 12-07-2017, 01:21 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
Also, what is this sasquatch and Trump's gold? I am obviously missing something here.
Long ago on this site, some non-hiking people would start discussions about Sasquatches, Lost gold mines, hunting/guns, just to stir the pot. The discussions would always deteriorate into name calling, so such topics were banned.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 12-09-2017, 12:12 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin View Post
Long ago on this site, some non-hiking people would start discussions about Sasquatches, Lost gold mines, hunting/guns, just to stir the pot. The discussions would always deteriorate into name calling, so such topics were banned.
Ha ha ha! That is hilarious! I may have been a lurker but trolls are the worst!

Chris S.
Organizer

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page