Advertising on Clubtread is WAY OVER THE TOP!! - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, cycling, traveling, movies, trying new places to eat
Default Advertising on Clubtread is WAY OVER THE TOP!!

I was reading a trip report while not logged in (on safari) and noticed words in the trip report like "cubs", "small frame", "headlamps" and "Little Diamond" were linked. So I clicked on the links and it took me to products on amazon.com, ebay.. etc. and I saw that it was done by some firm called "viglink.com" which specifically goes through and links words we use in posts on clubtread to products. This is super uncool.

I cannot believe that in addition to the bottom of our photos being cut off by endless ads, that we have to be careful what words we use so we aren't advertising random products. Very unfortunate.

What a terrible decision that brings down the value of our posts and our community. It's "cheap" and it sucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 05:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Agreed.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 09:07 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

I use an adblocker on the net. Always. Personally, I hate the fact that I need to do so, but the it's a necessity nowadays. Adblock Plus for Firefox works for me, but there are others (and apparently other browsers)
alpalmer and Redbeard like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2017, 11:54 PM
Summit Master

+1 for add blocker (in fact I installed in thanks to guntis post several years ago & never looked back since)

This is maybe philosophical discussion, but adds are reality of Internet today. They are everywhere. I don't find it a big deal anymore. CT is free & they have to generate revenue somewhere. If you don't like adds, use add blocker -- as simple as that
guntis and alpalmer like this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Guntis and Zeljkok,

Anyone who comes to clubtread (who might not belong to clubtread and have gone to the trouble of downloading ad blocker) is going to see OUR words leading them to products (and who knows if ad blocker, blocks viglink?.. even if it does.. it won't for visitors to Clubtread - so they're going to see "us" advertising products. They're not going to realize it's some outside company that has turned our words into links to products). I don't like the idea of having to worry which words I use on here are going to be turned into a link to some random product.

The ads everywhere on clubtread suck, but I get that they have to generate revenue... however, this viglink business is a whole other level of suckiness. Not cool!
guntis, alpalmer and Redbeard like this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 02:05 PM
Administrator

Interest: Poutine-lovin', maple syrup junkie.

Those types of ads should only be visible to non-members of the site. Guests and such should see them, but as soon as they register/sign in, they should disappear.

Are they showing for you when signed in?

Kevin
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 02:20 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I agree. I understand the need for advertising and don't really mind when it's actually related to the topic. I occasionally pop in and read reports without signing in and am always surprised by the ads at the bottom. I can't imagine that looks good to a new visitor to the forum.

Do those click-baity style adds even work? I doubt many people looking at this forum care about "Ways to beat a Canadian traffic ticket" or "That one fruit that is slowly accumulating in your body and killing you that you'd never believe"... I would have guessed a few well placed backcountry.com or MEC ads would be infinitely more successful?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

hi Kevin,

Words turned into product links doesn't show up for me when I'm signed in - but that isn't my point. Our words on this community forum are being turned into links to advertise products. Anyone seeing those links is an issue. I don't agree to my words being turned into product advertisement.

The ads = one thing. This appropriation of our words to advertise products is something entirely different!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-18-2017, 05:48 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealistic74 View Post
hi Kevin,

Words turned into product links doesn't show up for me when I'm signed in - but that isn't my point. Our words on this community forum are being turned into links to advertise products. Anyone seeing those links is an issue. I don't agree to my words being turned into product advertisement.

The ads = one thing. This appropriation of our words to advertise products is something entirely different!
I was actually not even aware of this, guess because I'm always logged in when I'm on.
I do agree this is big turn-off for potential new user; you know what they say 'first impressions count'
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 11:00 AM
Administrator

It's a randomly assigned ad feature. There is no targeting with it, which also means I can't exclude it from targeting specific users either.

Kevin
post #11 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 11:08 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: general mountaineering/ hiking/ backpacking/ skiing/ kayaking

Maybe I have tunnel vision, but the ads don't bother me at all. I hardly even notice them.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 01:11 PM
Off the Beaten Path

I don't see the post editing ads, but I have an extension to keep ads from tracking me, and one of those may have killed it. That said, this form of advertisement is really bad: both in terms of user experience (because users can't differentiate content from ads) and legally, because it's basically fraud (advertisers are posing as a poster).
post #13 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2017, 09:20 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I just log in and they're not much of an issue. However, for someone looking at CT, just checking things out, the ads are very intrusive indeed.

post #14 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Hey guys,

Just to confirm none of these ads are being seen while logged in for anyone?
Can you guys provide us with a link to an ad heavy page?

We wil check it out while logged out.

Though as Kevin mentioned, this is a concern if this appears for logged in members as well.

Richard.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I'm always logged in, and I don't see any of these ads within posts, but I do see ads on the sidebar on the right side of the screen and on the bar at the top of some pages.

I don't use any ad-blocking software.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page