Advertising on Clubtread is WAY OVER THE TOP!! - Page 7 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #91 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 03:34 AM
Summit Master

Nothing else really needs to be said. Dear VSAdmins, lobo is one of best contributors this site ever had. When you want your business to be successful you take these things super seriously. You scratch and claw to keep them

Or Vern, one of best mountaineers Canada has, with now legendary personal site. I practically begged him to stay on CT, no success. List goes on.

Site will fail and shut down I can guarantee it. Not today or tomorrow but with current way you are managing it is inevitable. It is a damn shame
susied and Rachelo like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 02:50 PM
Administrator

Interest: Poutine-lovin', maple syrup junkie.

With regards to the site not being mobile friendly, there are 3 different mobile specific ways to use the site. Which ones aren't friendly? Or are you using the desktop site on mobile?

Kyle
post #93 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:11 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSadmin View Post
With regards to the site not being mobile friendly, there are 3 different mobile specific ways to use the site. Which ones aren't friendly? Or are you using the desktop site on mobile?

Kyle
It is ridiculously terrible to write trip reports on the supposedly "mobile enhanced view". Pretty much only doable thing is viewing reports or replying to comments. It seems like the site doesn't care about new information being uploaded, just people clicking on old TRs and generating money. If you look at other sites, they are adapting as technology advances. It could definitely use a face lift of its own. Kyle. Maybe try making your own trip report on your phone to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #94 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 09:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Well, if generating revenue is the purpose of building this site then no doubt it's failing. The purpose is wrong at the start.

I'm not speaking to you Kyle as I don't know you in person, but if you want to make money out of us dirtbag climbers then good luck.. We HATE this form of commercialization by heart. And this is not just about the internet ads. Just go ask any climber in western Canada how much they hate the built of Glacier Skywalk in Jasper.. This is by no mean a business and if you treat it as a business then you'll fail (or at least you won't be as competitive as others will)..

Those successful on building climbing sites all have a strong passion.

The passion about outdoors is why they build and maintain a site. Not making revenue. We even pay our own $$ to let it run. Why? For the sole reason of our own passion and interest... Of course if the site is good enough then sponsorship might come but that's definitely not the primary purpose, not even close... And we will pick sponsors too. Sorts that have nothing to do with climbing is definitely not a consideration. And if you choose this path then the hardcores will leave. I'm hearing the similar story from a friend about that American site SummitPost. Now a lot of the contributors have left because of ads.
guntis and russellcoffin like this.
post #95 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 10:10 PM
High on the Mountain Top

ClubTread used to be a forum that targets on this small group of dirtbag climbers, scramblers and peakbaggers. This is a group of people that unless you are part of them, you'll feel very difficult to understand some of our logics and thoughts.
If you don't listen, then we'll eventually all leave. It hurts but it's true.

Of course you can shift the target into the mainstream outdoor people like the Joffre Group crowds, but then you're facing the competition with Facebook and Instagram. Then Good luck again...
post #96 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 11:32 PM
High on the Mountain Top

A couple comments that take issue with your point of view, Steven:

1) After viewing both your site and Vern's site, I see they both contain ads. In Vern's case, some don't have anything to do with climbing. I have no idea how or why your sites have ads, but it seems to me you can't speak for what climbers will tolerate in terms of ads and revenue generation when your very own site contains links. Mind you, I did not notice any of the offensive vigilinks.

2) In my view, CT never solely targeted dirtbag climbers, scramblers, and peakbaggers, as you suggest. Since I joined, the times when CT was most lively were when all sorts of TR's were being posted, and there was also discussion about various topics and issues. You can tell by the categories that CT was never a site for climbers only. Besides, everyone knows that the real hardcore climbers- those pushing the bounds of the sport and putting up new routes etc...- have never been an integral part of CT. Why? Because we're not a climbing site.
Rachelo likes this.
post #97 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 12:03 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Well... What I pointed out are my thoughts at why CT is dying. The fact is is drying out and you can't deny that. There gotta be some reasons. Maybe these are not the reasons, maybe these are...

Regarding my own site there are things I cannot control. First I'm not a web person so I have rely on an easy platform. Not it has grown bigger that I'm pretty much stuck in the wordpress. If they chose to put ads in then I can't do much. I won't blame them cuz for what? There's no way I can have a full control unless I spend hundreds of hours to learn html and migrate to a real site of mine.. Thank you for pointing it out as I don't even know it has ads now... Ever since I got this computer I had installed an ad blocker. I don't see Vigilinks on ClubTread neither probably because of that blocker thing.
post #98 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 01:16 AM
Summit Master

I'll agree with Candy in respect that CT was never targeting single interest group. That was the beauty of it! You'd come Monday to office & there would be Sky Pilot / pink slab adventure, RamblingBull, Alastair and jeffhan would report from Statlu peakbagging / Vienesse weekend but there would also be Seymour Pump and flowingbrook 100th version of Elk/Thurston. All good, enjoyable and appreciated by everyone.

I mentioned Vern & how much CT lost because of him, but there are tons of similar examples. How about mountainnerd? Extremely knowledgeable --don't think anyone knows Rockies better than him, publisher of outdoor guidebook. Name Eric Coulthard is well known in outdoor community. Now he wouldn't even respond to direct question I asked in one of his old trip reports. Or flip to the coast. Simon! I firmly believe he could have monetized his totally out of beaten path explorations of Coast Mountains, Duffey in particular. Gone. Or John & Katie. Did you notice how he suddenly disappeared? And he was one of most prolific contributors; I don't believe there was single user here that would not have smile on his/hers face watching photos of Katie and John' witty comments. List goes on.

CT was community, but ownership never bothered to understand that because to do so you have to be part of that same community. This is why it is failing, not because of adds or viglinks or clunky interface or being mobile dumb. I repeat again: Dayle tried. I also know what she was working in the background, it was going to be awesome! Did you notice how even aforementioned simonc re-appeared briefly at that time? And she vanished, probably because she was told it was not in business interest to evolve CT and things are worse than ever.
xj6response, Redbeard and treord8 like this.
post #99 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 02:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sack View Post
I've been hanging around since 2009, back when heated arguments took place and new TR's came out daily. Those were better times.
That's odd...you didn't like my Canuck commentaries. "Better times"?

Seriously though...I don't come around nearly as often as I used to (you can jump to your own conclusions as to why) but when I do I find the whole site to be cold, uninviting and unfamiliar.
I also use AdBlock, so I don't see any of the grief that others are experiencing....but that's the whole idea behind AdBlock, isn't it? Generally though, the more ads I see, the less I use a site...period.

Given the "need" for ads and the multitude of FREE forums available, I don't understand why this one is failing while another freebie InVision forum that I've been a member of since 2001, is still alive and kicking. Sure, it has ads, but with the AdBlock...I don't see them either!

Fact is, people will gravitate to whatever they feel comfortable with, and they HATE change.
I can post a TR or Ride report on Facebook in under 20 minutes with pics...
treord8 and russellcoffin like this.

Last edited by TheShadow; 11-28-2017 at 03:07 AM.
post #100 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 12:00 PM
Administrator

Hi,

Getting back to the difficulties writing reports, do you have any suggestions that could improve the experience?

Fergus
post #101 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 04:25 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
That's odd...you didn't like my Canuck commentaries. "Better times"?
Haha you're right I didn't. But you have to admit CT was much livelier and active back then. And yes, better times.

So now we're talking to Fergus... what happened to Kyle? I can't tell who's who cause they all wear the same boots.... Anyway, one thing that's been mentioned numerous times is having a built in photo re-sizer, like in the olden days.
treord8 and russellcoffin like this.
post #102 of (permalink) Old 11-28-2017, 08:51 PM
Banned

Fear not...the Playoff reporting will continue this year.

I doubt that we'll be hearing from any Canuck fans though....
post #103 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 10:53 AM
Administrator

We use the same account, if you would like to speak to someone specific I can tag them in. Regarding the image resizer, I have found a plugin that might work. Is this something there is support from in the community?

Fergus
post #104 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 01:50 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Having a built-in image resizer would be useful. It's an extra step to have to re-size images on the computer before uploading, so this would make it simpler.

Regarding all the other stuff, I don't see many ads due to the ad blocker on the PC. I don't like the Vigilinks thing, any links in your reports should be your own. I don't use CT on the phone much, since I like to have a topo map or Google Earth open when I'm reading trip reports, it makes it easier to follow along. I can't imagine writing a trip report on a phone, that would be like scrubbing the driveway with a toothbrush! So making it easier to use on the phone isn't too much of an issue for me.
post #105 of (permalink) Old 11-29-2017, 02:31 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
. Simon! I firmly believe he could have monetized his totally out of beaten path explorations of Coast Mountains,
I felt like this was quote worthy because it is possibly the most ridiculous thing that anyone has ever posted on Club tread. Sasquatch and gold panning threads included.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page