Advertising on Clubtread is WAY OVER THE TOP!! - Page 6 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #76 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 02:57 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

cool it you two. complain about moderation or administration all you want but don't personally attack one another please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #77 of (permalink) Old 11-20-2017, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Interest: Poutine-lovin', maple syrup junkie.

Regarding the disclosure comment, firstly every link does say "link added by viglink" when hovered over, secondly viglink "badge" disclosure is something specific to the FTC, Canada has different guidelines hence the message.

Regarding the previous threads in the support section, it looks like they've all been addressed. This leads me to believe that as it stands the problem is essentially viglink. So if that is not the case then tell me what problems are still present. If it is the case, viglinks pay for the site's overhead and operation, comparable ad affiliates that cover that cost as well are far more obtrusive and cause significant lag. You are entitled to post whatever disclosures you like in your reports, you're well within your rights on that, I can't and absolutely wouldn't stop you.

End of the day, whether or not I'm a hiker says nothing to the fact that I don't want this site to fail. You can take that as you will, you can assume the community is rolling their eyes and you can tell me where to go all you want. I'll still be here singing the same tune.

Kyle
post #78 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 01:51 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSadmin View Post
Regarding the disclosure comment, firstly every link does say "link added by viglink" when hovered over, secondly viglink "badge" disclosure is something specific to the FTC, Canada has different guidelines hence the message.

Regarding the previous threads in the support section, it looks like they've all been addressed. This leads me to believe that as it stands the problem is essentially viglink. So if that is not the case then tell me what problems are still present. If it is the case, viglinks pay for the site's overhead and operation, comparable ad affiliates that cover that cost as well are far more obtrusive and cause significant lag. You are entitled to post whatever disclosures you like in your reports, you're well within your rights on that, I can't and absolutely wouldn't stop you.

End of the day, whether or not I'm a hiker says nothing to the fact that I don't want this site to fail. You can take that as you will, you can assume the community is rolling their eyes and you can tell me where to go all you want. I'll still be here singing the same tune.

Kyle
Kyle,

Thank-you for clarifying the disclosure matter. You're right that the links do state that they've been added by VigLink, so you're living up to your obligations to the Canadian guidelines.

Regarding my "F*** you" comment, this wasn't directed at you. Please re-read the post. My point was that this was essentially what you were saying to all of us! By taking the main point of this thread and stating that it's never going to change rather than engaging in a discussion about what it would take financially to replace that revenue, you shut the conversation down.

Whatever... I'm done with this one for now. I've expressed my frustration and for now, you can count me as just another CT member who has checked out.

Patrick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #79 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 04:14 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard View Post
I personally don't feel the site is over-moderated, but I appreciate Candy Sack's comment about the lack of comments. I'm guilty of this myself. I don't want to derail the thread, which is about VigLink primarily, but on the side-topic of CT's long-term viability, I always appreciate comments on my posts and need to be better about commenting on others, even if all I have to say is a brief "Nice one!" or "Great pics!"
Not really following this thread and no clue what's going on here about the debates, but I absolutely second this lack-of-interaction thing... Lack-of-comment makes the trip report posters feel like talking to themselves hence why bother..

I used to contribute here but not so much anymore. I think almost everyone knows my site and that's my long term beta storage. As long as wordpress isn't down the trip report will always be there... Facebook and Instagram is now where I seek social interactions. I can post one picture on Instagram plus a simul-post to Facebook. Within 2 days I can generate hundreds of likes plus 20+ comments. Some are discussions, some are beta inquiries and some will share their own beta and trip experience. So why bother.. They together has done a substitution... Forums like this has an advantage of being "in between" but now both sides are going downhill. If I see interesting peakbagging trip reports posted here I might comment but I feel lazy to say "good job" to every Elk Mountain trip report. Almost all serious people have left.
post #80 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 06:19 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenSong View Post
... Forums like this has an advantage of being "in between" but now both sides are going downhill. If I see interesting peakbagging trip reports posted here I might comment but I feel lazy to say "good job" to every Elk Mountain trip report. Almost all serious people have left.
Yeah, kind of sad the downturn of CT. I think the painful interface, intrusive ads and the prior major security breach have degraded the experience and diminished the user base. CT posters still put up amazing photos and unique reports but for a site that should be trying to drive traffic to itself, it's failing miserably.

These days most of my hiking online interaction is via a Vancouver Island FB group with thousands of members, very active commentary and up to date info on nearly every hike/climb/scramble on the island. I'm no fan of social media, much prefer a CT format, but social media is where the current info is and active posters reside. The CT format, as it is, can't compete. Tragic.

post #81 of (permalink) Old 11-26-2017, 07:28 PM
Summit Master

agreed with 2 above posts. CT situation is not about single thing (i.e. adds or interface or ...) but rather about mismanagement. Dayle tried for awhile and I give her gazillion of credits -- small perks, awesome background map based project, which I suspect she was told to simply abandon, etc -- but now its back to same as before, even worse. I feel those of us that still hang around and contribute care about CT 10x times more than those who own it.

Ultimately this would be excellent case study for business students how to fail something that was successful.
post #82 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 12:42 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
.... Ultimately this would be excellent case study for business students how to fail something that was successful....
that sums it up very well. It seems odd the owners of CT would not grasp that traffic is going away from CT, not towards it. I'm not sure how they'll generate revenue if traffic keeps falling and nobody sees, or clicks on, the ads that are so annoying to so many.

post #83 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 01:11 AM
Headed for the Mountains

How do you guys know that the traffic is falling? All you can measure is posts and visits. Those could be dwarfed by the number of page hits from people looking up route info from old TRs.
post #84 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 01:21 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thhorseman View Post
How do you guys know that the traffic is falling? All you can measure is posts and visits. Those could be dwarfed by the number of page hits from people looking up route info from old TRs.
True. Traffic still could be holding because CT has such rich database, but you can measure new contributions and general sentiment and fact is -- it is fraction of what it used to be. This is indication of overall direction which eventually drags out "shadow users" as well.
post #85 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 01:29 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Another thing is that you have to keep up with the technology. How many of us are on phone and how many are on computer is worth an investigation, especially in the younger generation... That's one reason why I'm starting Instagram, is to reach out to more people.

ClubTread is literally impossible to use on a phone...

I honestly don't know what can be done to save forums like this one. A major shift in information sharing system (FB, IG, etc) will probably mean some old ways are doomed to fail... Maybe it's inevitable. Or maybe we can learn something from Washington state. NWHikers.net, WTA, peakbagger.com are all running pretty well but they do have a much larger user base with hundreds of "serious peakbaggers" eager to contribute... But one thing is always true. In the nowadays world if you don't constantly improve then you are left behind.
post #86 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 01:39 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
But one thing is always true. In the nowadays world if you don't constantly improve then you are left behind.
Bingo
post #87 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 01:41 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Another thing is that you have to keep up with the technology. How many of us are on phone and how many are on computer is worth an investigation, especially in the younger generation... That's one reason why I'm starting Instagram, is to reach out to more people.

ClubTread is literally impossible to use on a phone...

I honestly don't know what can be done to save forums like this one. A major shift in information sharing system (FB, IG, etc) will probably mean some old ways are doomed to fail... Maybe it's inevitable. Or maybe we can learn something from Washington state. NWHikers.net, WTA, peakbagger.com are all running pretty well but they do have a much larger user base with hundreds of "serious peakbaggers" eager to contribute... But one thing is always true. In the nowadays world if you don't constantly improve then you are left behind.
I very much agree. I think its its super important having these discussion forums as Instagram is a fun but not useful source for sharing detailed information on trips. With that being said, It takes me about an hour to write a half-assed TR and that's mostly because of how difficult the interface is. I now only use my laptop it seems like for writing these trip reports or google earth haha. Also unfortunately, most of my generation cares about getting the perfect photo at Joffre lakes or Tunnel Bluffs so a future in peak baggers is pretty slim. But I guess that's a different situation...
StevenSong and treord8 like this.
post #88 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 02:02 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcoffin View Post
I very much agree. I think its its super important having these discussion forums as Instagram is a fun but not useful source for sharing detailed information on trips. With that being said, It takes me about an hour to write a half-assed TR and that's mostly because of how difficult the interface is. I now only use my laptop it seems like for writing these trip reports or google earth haha. Also unfortunately, most of my generation cares about getting the perfect photo at Joffre lakes or Tunnel Bluffs so a future in peak baggers is pretty slim. But I guess that's a different situation...
Instagram is for spreading out photos and reaching out to more people. Fun indeed. But terrible at beta sharing. For the kind of beta I need it offers literally ZERO. Instead it literally took me a visual tour to Europe Alps, Nepal and Pakistan everyday.. I felt like I've already climbed the Matterhorn even though I still don't even know where exactly it is.... It probably wouldn't do me a favour on finding trip partners neither but it IS a good tool for self promotion and building one's own status and brand.

Forums like this one cannot be substituted (that's why I'm still checking it...)..

I do notice a decline in the arising of "new peak-baggers" in the last couple years. And I also notice a lot of "old peak-baggers" are quitting or transitioning into other forms of activities... I really don't know why to be honest... Maybe the few folks like me and Vern has set the standard too high..
treord8 and russellcoffin like this.
post #89 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 02:14 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
I really don't know why to be honest... Maybe the few folks like me and Vern has set the standard too high..
No. It has nothing to do with you, or Vern or any other individual. It is rather general sentiment about the site direction. You don't go out to the mountains with someone if you don't enjoy his/her company, right? Same here. People dislike adds, interface, not being mobile friendly (very important!) ... but more than anything lack of care. And then it snowballs. One person leaves, and this drags 10 other people along. Just look at Rockies forum, that was once bursting with all kinds of reports and info; now if I wouldn't post and maybe PhilR on occasion, it would sit completely dead

What hold site is enormous heritage built over the years. But with this direction it will dry out. I've seen many examples like that in Internet industry over the years.
post #90 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2017, 02:39 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
No. It has nothing to do with you, or Vern or any other individual. It is rather general sentiment about the site direction. You don't go out to the mountains with someone if you don't enjoy his/her company, right? Same here. People dislike adds, interface, not being mobile friendly (very important!) ... but more than anything lack of care. And then it snowballs. One person leaves, and this drags 10 other people along. Just look at Rockies forum, that was once bursting with all kinds of reports and info; now if I wouldn't post and maybe PhilR on occasion, it would sit completely dead

What hold site is enormous heritage built over the years. But with this direction it will dry out. I've seen many examples like that in Internet industry over the years.
Yeah. I do think bloggers and particularly Vern and I have effect though. On one hand we inspired more people to get out but on the other hand it left little room worth documenting (in details) for peaks that either him or I have already done (and that together is over 1000 peaks).. Saying this because I have feedback from other friends. The ethic of blogging the backcountry has its double sides but whatever. On this nowadays world there is just too much to worry about. I just try to look things in a positive way otherwise you just aren't gonna be happy..

Hopefully ClubTread can find its path soon...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page