Advertising on Clubtread is WAY OVER THE TOP!! - Page 4 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 01:10 PM
Summit Master

That is another, valid issue. I still keep getting on occasion spam emails because of that security breach awhile ago.

I repeat once again, VS should consider running add free. Mobile version, even in enhanced view, is largely non-usable. Revenue generated just can't be that significant and has caused much damage in terms of end user drain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Just caught up on this whole thread. For the record, I personally use an adblocker in Firefox as my primary way of using CT. If I use my phone, CT is virtually unusable, both because the platform sucks and because of the ads.

I strongly support idealistic74's resistance to the ad links created from our personal content. The admin's point about being logged in or not is irrelevant and completely ignoring idealistic74's original complaint. If this isn't changed, I'll be removing all of my content from CT. I can put up with the banner and sidebar ads (particularly since I never really see them anyways), but I'm strongly opposed to having my personal content used to sell things via links embedded in my posts.

For what it's worth, I for one would be willing to pay an annual subscription to keep CT ad-free for all - both those who have a CT account and those who don't. I understand there are costs to running a website and am willing to support it directly rather than forcing the site to rely on ad revenue.
Eryne likes this.
post #48 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 02:09 PM
Administrator

Interest: Poutine-lovin', maple syrup junkie.

Hi @xj6response

Could you let us know which ad your IT department warned you about? This is obviously something we would like to let the techs know about as soon as possible.

Fergus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 02:16 PM
Headed for the Mountains

As a follow-up, I just went to CT via a different browser where I don't have an adblocker and wasn't logged in. I checked a post I put up less than an hour ago and links were already added for the phrases "climbing shoes" and "I felt I". I didn't click on the links. This post also includes hyperlinks that I added myself, so mixing both my own links with these VigLinks is wrong. I stand by my commitment to remove my content if the Admin doesn't remove this.
Eryne likes this.
post #50 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 02:52 PM
Summit Master

These comments by Redbeard, although quite strong, in essence demonstrate why advertising in general is in my opinion wrong way for VS to move ahead with Club Tread brand. There are tons of people out there that felt the same and just decided to disappear silently.
xj6response likes this.
post #51 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 03:37 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I've asked for the report but being a huge tech company, their threat management team is very tight on these things. If I get the info I will definitely let you know. I'm told by their Toronto security office that new forms "Malvertising" have been shown to bypass ad blockers by detecting the typical IP traffic pattern when the ad blocker pings the EasyList of ads and somehow fooling the immunity of an ad blocker. I imagine the security firms like Mcafee etc will put updates out on this soon.

post #52 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 06:18 PM
Banned

I'm with Redbeard. Remove the Viglinks.

Those Viglinks (That show up on the trail wiki when I'm logged in) are not endorsed by me, but show up in my reports, my contributions to the trail wiki, and probably this very post. Get rid of them. I see in a post that some admin said Clubtread does not use Viglinks. If that's the case, and the links are showing up, you have a virus and you've probably given it to me.
seawallrunner and Redbeard like this.
post #53 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 10:27 PM
Summit Master

well said Eryne

Honestly VSAdmins, this is bigger issue than you maybe think. I realize these posts are most likely read just by regular staff, but I urge you to bring it up with management. Since you took over site is in decline that keeps spiraling down and adds are major reason. I love CT; if you look at "Canadian Rockies" Forum you'll see I am basically carrying it on my back, but I'd be inclined to stop for very same reason.

Get rid of the viglinks, preferably all adds. Find other was to monetize CT
post #54 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 10:35 AM
Administrator

do you guys see it on the homepage: www.clubtread.com or on the forum? forums.clubtread.com?

We can't do an ad-free forum, the ads provide a source of income for the forum to pay for the server, we provide a less-ads envrionments for users and i would recommend that everyone with ad issues to provide screenshots to pin point which ones are invasive however I don't see any in this thread which is making it hard. there are no URLs provided either so we don't know which ones to remove.

ads and ad links are not always static and the same, they're based on the user, their browser, general browsing history and geo-location. which is why we want you guys to send in the ones you need us to removed.

Thanks.

Li
post #55 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 05:51 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSadmin View Post
do you guys see it on the homepage: www.clubtread.com or on the forum? forums.clubtread.com?

We can't do an ad-free forum, the ads provide a source of income for the forum to pay for the server, we provide a less-ads envrionments for users and i would recommend that everyone with ad issues to provide screenshots to pin point which ones are invasive however I don't see any in this thread which is making it hard. there are no URLs provided either so we don't know which ones to remove.

ads and ad links are not always static and the same, they're based on the user, their browser, general browsing history and geo-location. which is why we want you guys to send in the ones you need us to removed.

Thanks.

Li
Hi Li,

Please be sure to read the thread more thoroughly before replying. No one on this thread has suggested you need to operate the site for free. Any discussion about going ad-free has also included the idea of annual subscriptions in order to pay for the site maintenance costs. Also, it's just a suggestion and really secondary to the main point of the thread.

The primary issue of this thread is the VigLinks which are showing up for anyone who is not logged in. Here is a screenshot:

These links were showing up on a post that I made less than an hour before taking the screen shots. (This is the post: https://forums.clubtread.com/37-washi...16-2017-a.html)

In another of my recent posts (https://forums.clubtread.com/37-washi...-9-2017-a.html), every instance where I used the word "crampons" was turned into a link as well.

Patrick
post #56 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 07:18 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking (obviously), snowshoeing, backpacking

Also did it for me when I logged out and looked at one of my old posts, in case you want another example:
https://forums.clubtread.com/35-other...alcon-etc.html

and a screenshot below. Note the nice "link added by VigLink" when you hover over the words"45 minutes". Not added by me....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VigLink.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	241129  

Redbeard likes this.

Wilderness is not a luxury but necessity of the human spirit.
post #57 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Vig link ads only appear to users not signed in and are added automatically by a scripting bot. Once you sign in, the ads go away. It's become pretty common practice on a lot of sites, and we aren't an exception to that here

Kevin
post #58 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The primary issue of this thread is the VigLinks which are showing up for anyone who is not logged in. Here is a screenshot:
Viglinks are for guests. Anyone who are not logged in are considered guest. If there is a premium program, we would possibly make the site show less ads when they're logged in.
Otherwise, there isn't away for this forum software to detect if a user is a guest or member not logged in.

Is there an issue with users not wanting to log in?

Lee
post #59 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 12:00 PM
Headed for the Mountains

You guys aren't listening.

I don't care if the person reading my post is logged in or not. I don't want links being put in my posts that are selling things without my permission. I'm not an idiot and I understand that it's a scripting bot not an actual person pouring over our posts and inserting them manually. You, however, have the ability to deactivate the scripting bot so that it stops doing that.

Do it.

Or don't, I guess. Just don't look around all confused when no one uses this damn site anymore because you ran it into the ground and refused to listen to the members. I'm by no means as involved as many others on this thread, but I've been an active member for 7 years now and have posted 49 trip reports. I already have a blog that I essentially duplicate my posts on these days because I hate what's been going on with CT. I'd hate to have to pull all my content off this site, but I guess if you continue to simply refuse to adjust your practices, that'll be what's necessary.
Rachelo and Eryne like this.
post #60 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2017, 02:49 PM
Summit Master

Redbeard -- problem is that posts like this are read by employees; they don't have authority to make corporate level decisions. This needs to be brought up with upper level management; but I don't think they realize the severity of the issue. I've been on the Forum now 7 years and severity of decline is fascinating. This is not about small features (banner, etc), not about UI (image uploader some complain about), not even about adds (although this is major issue) --- it is rather complex problem that can be solved only by intelligent rework of Club Tread brand.

It does start by listening to the users. That are still here that is.
Eryne likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page