ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Site Feedback, Help, and Suggestions (https://forums.clubtread.com/9-site-feedback-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Advertising on Clubtread is WAY OVER THE TOP!! (https://forums.clubtread.com/9-site-feedback-help-suggestions/86946-advertising-clubtread-way-over-top.html)

VSadmin 02-12-2018 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_bird (Post 827857)
I just joined the site as I really appreciate the info, but I don't post any of the info I gather.

I never got into forums, and never have found the format particularly aesthetic. I realize that's not a content issue, but it just doesn't appeal to me to spend to much time here. Instead I've posted my trips on places like the Outbound, and The Outdoor Project. The content is much less reliable, the focus is millennial vanity, but the sites just look nicer and more pleasant to navigate.

what's usually your intent when you post your trips?
Forums are discussion boards for people to talk among each other about their trips, give advice and offer other options. Content portals are nice too but I feel like a lot of people just go there to 'like' pictures.

Lee

kellymcdonald78 02-12-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSadmin (Post 827913)
Forums are discussion boards for people to talk among each other about their trips, give advice and offer other options. Content portals are nice too but I feel like a lot of people just go there to 'like' pictures.

Lee

I'm really disappointed with this response. While discussion between people is an important element of Clubtread. The ability to post and share trip reports is core to what made this place such a success. It's not about "liking" pictures, but sharing relevant information about various trips, detailing routes, conditions, options, and providing a source of ideas. The ongoing lack of focus around site infrastructure to support the creation of trip reports, to be able to search on them effectively has been an ongoing subject of discussion for quite some time, with little concrete action. After struggling through creating several trip reports here, I no longer do so as I can create them much faster with higher quality on my blog. Sure I'll share links here, but with many folks going down that route, it only serves to hollow out the core community.

It's frustrating as this keeps being brought up, but I'll say it again, Clubtread is NOT JUST a discussion board

Blue_bird 02-13-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSadmin (Post 827913)

Lee

1) I don't feel the need to share my trip reports. Despite the fact I regularly use beta from club tread. It's a bit of an unfair trade off. My intent in posting info about trips is less to show what I did on that occasion, and more to create a page closer to a guidebook to provide resources and guidance that I didn't have when I moved back to Vancouver. The guidebooks were vague and didn't give me enough info to know to expect.

2) The format and appearance of a report is far more satisfying on other platforms as are the search functions. Also, I mainly go for the photos. The writing is rarely inspiring, or worth reading, so photo specific materials where I can make my own assessment are what I prefer. Outdoor Project in particular I really like as they vet their writers, and push for quality and accuracy, refusing to publish until they are satisfied. They also respond to reader submitted changes and adjustments.

3) I don't connect to forums as conversations. They feel clunky, and take a long time to get used to. Also, I don't necessarily want conversations. Comments or PMs are sufficient for me to ask questions.

4) Perhaps this narcassism, but I don't really need the advice for the most part unless it's beta for a unfamiliar area. I've worked within the guiding industry, and I am an active member in clubs, so I don't need strangers on the internet to provide feedback, I prefer to check in with professionals and people whose experience I am familiar with, rather than random internet strangers

5) Yeah, I do like the "likes" as it's satisfying to put work into something and have it appreciated in a tangible way. I think many other people gravitate to more convenient places to post snapshot trip reports that get swallowed up into the ether on platforms like Instagram and facebook.

I do really like the trip reports on club tread, but reading through the comments it seems like a perspective was totally missing. I by no means have the solutions, but I can offer a different take on why club tread is slowly but surely loosing numbers.

zeljkok 02-13-2018 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue_bird (Post 827953)
1) I don't feel the need to share my trip reports. Despite the fact I regularly use beta from club tread. It's a bit of an unfair trade off.

It is not trade off. There is no trade. You are taking away without giving back.

The amount of time you spent to compose the above response could have been used much better to put together at least 1 TR, which is -- as kellymcdonald78 correctly points out -- cornerstone of Club Tread. If you are getting something out of it, then it is only fair to contribute back. Lack of strict "guidebook form" is not an excuse. In fact one of big CT values through the years has been free form that allowed different perspectives and point of views.

VSadmin 02-13-2018 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 (Post 827921)
I'm really disappointed with this response. While discussion between people is an important element of Clubtread. The ability to post and share trip reports is core to what made this place such a success. It's not about "liking" pictures, but sharing relevant information about various trips, detailing routes, conditions, options, and providing a source of ideas. The ongoing lack of focus around site infrastructure to support the creation of trip reports, to be able to search on them effectively has been an ongoing subject of discussion for quite some time, with little concrete action. After struggling through creating several trip reports here, I no longer do so as I can create them much faster with higher quality on my blog. Sure I'll share links here, but with many folks going down that route, it only serves to hollow out the core community.

It's frustrating as this keeps being brought up, but I'll say it again, Clubtread is NOT JUST a discussion board

ok. I'm just looking to see what others see in a forum. not just clubtread for a discussion board in general. Personally, I grew up on forums so I'm really used to the way it works and how discussions develop on the forum.
I think that it's a great place to post your trips, and information, and all the amazing photos. Its a great read but sometimes I think that sometimes content portals lack discussion.
I do want to see people sharing the same opinion and inputting that opinion or offering another option/advice to the writer or other people reading.
If any of this makes sense, I'm not out there to offend anyone and I apologize if it does. I love reading discussion threads and see what people have to say.

Quote:

4) Perhaps this narcassism, but I don't really need the advice for the most part unless it's beta for a unfamiliar area. I've worked within the guiding industry, and I am an active member in clubs, so I don't need strangers on the internet to provide feedback, I prefer to check in with professionals and people whose experience I am familiar with, rather than random internet strangers
I think that everyone is a stranger until you get to know them. :)

Lee

Blue_bird 02-13-2018 04:13 PM

[QUOTE=zeljkok;827993]It is not trade off. There is no trade. You are taking away without giving back.

hence why I wrote "unfair trade". I'm acknowledging that it's less than ideal, and I don't disagree with you though I resent your tone. But hey, thanks for pointing it out.

I haven't written anything yet because I don't think I have any trip reports to be posting to be frank. My last few trips have been ice climbing, secret pow stashes, no photos, or resort based. I have written about conditions I encountered however. Not the same as TRs, still not fair.

But this kind of thing is the 6) reason I think this format is dying a natural death. Keyboard warriors. Personally I like the dialogue. But these kinds of responses discourages many people from responding. This thread became a question of why are people leaving, well you have my take.

I can, and I do take my efforts elsewhere.

kellymcdonald78 02-13-2018 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSadmin (Post 828017)
ok. I'm just looking to see what others see in a forum. not just clubtread for a discussion board in general. Personally, I grew up on forums so I'm really used to the way it works and how discussions develop on the forum.
I think that it's a great place to post your trips, and information, and all the amazing photos. Its a great read but sometimes I think that sometimes content portals lack discussion.
I do want to see people sharing the same opinion and inputting that opinion or offering another option/advice to the writer or other people reading.
If any of this makes sense, I'm not out there to offend anyone and I apologize if it does. I love reading discussion threads and see what people have to say.

Lee

The ongoing challenge (and this has been brought up since the board was moved to the new platform), is that while the "Reply to Thread" or "New Thread" widget works just fine for discussions, questions and quick back and forths. It is woefully inadequate for creating detailed trip reports. From the clunky method you have to follow in order to attach images, to not being able to save reports in progress, to how trip reports are displayed. It would be great to have the ability to search and filter trip reports based on location, season, difficulty, unique characteristics etc. Ideally ClubTread would be a content site containing the trip reports, and a discussion site. Trip reports should be more than just a 'really big' discussion post.

What's frustrating, is that while small tweaks are generally made to the site, the more substantive changes that have been requested never seem to make it onto the list of things to get done. I get it, it's a different requirement from most of the forums that VerticalScope hosts, however this model could also be hugely complimentary to many of those communities. I'm sure folks on ATV.com and Snowmobile.com wouldn't mind being able to share trip reports, an RC Canada user may want to detail the build of a complex drone etc.

tinman610 02-14-2018 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSadmin (Post 828017)

I think that everyone is a stranger until you get to know them. :)

Lee

This thread seems to be quite off topic. Valid discussion but off topic. Perhaps a thread regarding the owners intent or the members desire for this site would be a good topic. Or perhaps one already exists.

VSadmin 02-14-2018 12:25 PM

I agree with @tinman610 - this thread has gotten way off topic (it's supposed to be about ads on the site). I encourage discussion and don't want to discourage anyone from being able to say their peace about the forum or anything else for that matter, but please try your best to keep the discussions in the threads relevant to the thread topic.

Cheers,

Erik

kellymcdonald78 02-14-2018 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSadmin (Post 828081)
I agree with @tinman610 - this thread has gotten way off topic (it's supposed to be about ads on the site). I encourage discussion and don't want to discourage anyone from being able to say their peace about the forum or anything else for that matter, but please try your best to keep the discussions in the threads relevant to the thread topic.

Cheers,

Erik

Which thread would you prefer "CT Interface Usability Feedback" or "Support for Adding Photos to TR's"? These suggestions and concerns are not new. When I can write a trail report in half the time using Wordpress, it makes it really hard for me to justify putting in the effort to do it here

zeljkok 02-14-2018 05:22 PM

What Kelly said.

What bugs me is that despite all the decline, user drain, social media takeover, etc etc. CT STILL has potential to be #1 , best online resource around for outdoor related things, globally not just BC coast or Western Canada. This is what makes this disconnect so frustrating

VSadmin 02-15-2018 12:16 PM

we should probably move this to a thread related to making better reports.

There are plugins and tricks to making it possible. I'll willing to show members how to do it.
If you can get me a ideal trip report page or an idea of how it looks like. Let me know.

Lee

TheShadow 02-16-2018 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeljkok (Post 828113)
What Kelly said.

What bugs me is that despite all the decline, user drain, social media takeover, etc etc. CT STILL has potential to be #1 , best online resource around for outdoor related things, globally not just BC coast or Western Canada. This is what makes this disconnect so frustrating

Which begs the question: "Why flog a dead horse?" or probably more accurate would be "At what point does it become obvious that the towel should get thrown in"?

People will gravitate towards EASY....every time. That's why BookFace and other Social media sites are usurping the conventional "Discussion Boards"...and you have far more control over who reads your stuff and whose sh*t you have to put up with.

Something strange that I noticed....when NOT logged in, this thread is over FOURTEEN PAGES long....when logged in, only 4. That's TEN PAGES of advertising and other invasive crap that "lurkers" have to endure...that's not conducive to attracting members.
Just sayin'.................

zeljkok 02-16-2018 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShadow (Post 828241)
Which begs the question: "Why flog a dead horse?" or probably more accurate would be "At what point does it become obvious that the towel should get thrown in"?

Because the horse is not dead, and besides I will never be the one that jumps off the ship just because others are doing so. If something improved quality of my life at some point, I will stick with it and fight to the end.

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSadmin (Post 828177)
we should probably move this to a thread related to making better reports.

There are plugins and tricks to making it possible. I'll willing to show members how to do it.
If you can get me a ideal trip report page or an idea of how it looks like. Let me know.

Lee

Lee -- just as 1 example, have a look at recent russelcoffin TR in BC section. That's a terrific article, you'd have to be familiar with the area to fully appreciate effort and level of info he provided. At the end he got frustrated with bad, non-intuitive interface & said "this is the last report I'll write". But this is just 1 aspect of the problem; this dragon has more heads than one.

VSadmin 02-20-2018 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheShadow (Post 828241)

People will gravitate towards EASY....every time. That's why BookFace and other Social media sites are usurping the conventional "Discussion Boards"...and you have far more control over who reads your stuff and whose sh*t you have to put up with.

Something strange that I noticed....when NOT logged in, this thread is over FOURTEEN PAGES long....when logged in, only 4. That's TEN PAGES of advertising and other invasive crap that "lurkers" have to endure...that's not conducive to attracting members.
Just sayin'.................

I changed the default posts per page to 15, but you should really be logged in to avoid ads if that's what you want. Lurkers can lurk the site while logged in, go to user CP and set your settings to invisible mode. https://forums.clubtread.com/profile.php?do=editoptions
With that option, you can also set how many posts you want to view per page. we have the options.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeljkok (Post 828249)
Because the horse is not dead, and besides I will never be the one that jumps off the ship just because others are doing so. If something improved quality of my life at some point, I will stick with it and fight to the end.

Lee -- just as 1 example, have a look at recent russelcoffin TR in BC section. That's a terrific article, you'd have to be familiar with the area to fully appreciate effort and level of info he provided. At the end he got frustrated with bad, non-intuitive interface & said "this is the last report I'll write". But this is just 1 aspect of the problem; this dragon has more heads than one.

Can you send me the link?

Lee

zeljkok 02-21-2018 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSadmin (Post 828889)

Can you send me the link?

Lee

https://forums.clubtread.com/27-briti...10-2018-a.html

VSadmin 02-21-2018 03:31 PM

As it stands right now there is no functioning plugin that will read "Exif Orientation Data" for vBulletin. The nearest that has been found is for a different platform and additionally runs a 50% chance of erasing the photo database on the site. We are not ready to take that kind of chance. This is something we are working with our mobile development team to get a much smoother photo management system.
-Philip

KARVITK 02-26-2018 02:42 AM

I appreciate the concern ; the trip reports and their photos are a very vauable resource to everyone. So agreed great caution should be exercised.

Always can set up a copy of the database; and apply testing scenarios to that copy.

K

VSadmin 02-26-2018 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KARVITK (Post 829441)
I appreciate the concern ; the trip reports and their photos are a very vauable resource to everyone. So agreed great caution should be exercised.

Always can set up a copy of the database; and apply testing scenarios to that copy.

K

That is the intention, including the test environment

Kyle

kellymcdonald78 03-21-2018 01:24 PM

Russian mail order bride advertisements? Really?

VSadmin 03-22-2018 12:01 PM

Hey there,

Can I get a screenshot of this and well as an URL?
We'll look into this

Ed

kellymcdonald78 03-22-2018 03:22 PM

I'll capture one if I see it again

zeljkok 03-22-2018 04:12 PM

Not sure who provides CT adds, but Google adds are dynamically served based on individual user browser cache history & will be different for different users for same web page where they are embedded.

VSadmin 03-23-2018 11:22 AM

We get our ads in much the same way, but we can still tailor them in a way to exclude things that are not "family friendly".

Kevin

kellymcdonald78 03-23-2018 11:30 AM

Not sure what would be in my cache that would drive a Russian bride advertisement :)

I know a few years back after searching for Kosher Coke (it's made with real sugar rather than corn syrup) for several weeks my ads were dominated with trips to Israel, courses on the Torah, and Bar Mitzvah hall rentals :)

zeljkok 03-23-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kellymcdonald78 (Post 831513)
Not sure what would be in my cache that would drive a Russian bride advertisement :)

LOL. I almost posted something along these lines, but decided against at last moment :) :) :)

This is otherwise called "personalized adds". Just read yesterday Google is changing General Data Protection Policy (GDPR) in order to meet requirements of new data protection law coming into effect May 25 this year. Section from that lengthy email:

Quote:

To comply, and support your compliance with GDPR, we are:
  • Launching a solution to support publishers that want to show only non-personalized ads.
  • Launching new controls for DFP/AdX programmatic transactions, AdSense for Content, AdSense for Games, and AdMob to allow you to control which third parties measure and serve ads for EEA users on your sites and apps. We’ll send you more information about these tools in the coming weeks.
  • Taking steps to limit the processing of personal information for children under the GDPR Age of Consent in individual member states.
  • Launching new controls for Google Analytics customers to manage the retention and deletion of their data.
  • Exploring consent solutions for publishers, including working with industry groups like IAB Europe.

xj6response 03-24-2018 01:00 AM

Quote:

I fine with it, as long as my 'Russian Bride' ads are not followed by Viagra messages :)

VSadmin 03-26-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

I know a few years back after searching for Kosher Coke (it's made with real sugar rather than corn syrup) for several weeks my ads were dominated with trips to Israel, courses on the Torah, and Bar Mitzvah hall rentals :)

All an ad system would need to give you those would be to guess you are male. All it can do is guess work, and the more info it gets about you the more fine tuned it will become. But it starts with the broad strokes.

Think of the ad system as playing battle ship, with your actual interests and demographic being the you subs and destroyers.

Kevin

zeljkok 03-26-2018 05:57 PM

The bottom line is, adds suck :)

But they are so deeply rooted in fabric of society nowdays (not just internet), it is sick. The other night I was trying to watch some tv movie; net running time 2 hrs, but broadcast time 3 hrs --- so like for every 2 minutes of movie you get 1 minute of adds. Totally lost continuity and interest, and eventually shut tv off. Only way to watch tv movie nowdays is to record it, then watch later & fast forward when adds kick in.

So, to stay inline with topic of this thread -- yes, CT advertising might be "over the top" but real blame is elsewhere. In the meantime, until (if) this ever changes, adblock rules.

kellymcdonald78 03-27-2018 04:00 PM

I agree in part, ad revenues are part of the model and this site isn't a charity. As a signed in user, I don't find the ads too onerous (except for some of the odd ones that seem to slip through). I'd also say that things have improved as a non-signed in user. At one point I could easily see a first time visitor being scared away from the site based on the volume of ads that were being served up.