Advertising on Clubtread is WAY OVER THE TOP!! - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2017, 05:33 PM
Summit Master

I'd like to say few words in general re adds

I normally use CT from laptop with Add Block so I never see any of it. But recently I started using more Android smartphone without any sort of add blocker and boy does it over show up. I am not talking viglinks, but adds in general.

Adds are reality nowdays, everywhere but I think people that like them are far and few in between. Considering user base drop-off after VS takeover (fair amount have left just because of adds!) - I'd seriously consider taking adds out entirely. I understand adds are source of revenue for the company, but I'd be really really surprised if this amounts to anything significant. I am speaking from personal experience where I get 1 click per each 200-300 hits on my own web presence, and this click is < 1 dollar most of the time. There must be some other ways to monetize CT content.

Just a food for thought
(Oh yes, and I'd consider making native smartphone CT app too, but this is separate topic).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Interest: Poutine-lovin', maple syrup junkie.

Thanks, I've sent a ticket to our tech to get this looked into. (#2798570)

@zeljkok What way are you viewing the site on your mobile? Was it in the enhanced mobile view or the full desktop view? Can you take a screenshot of the ads so I can see them?

Niall
post #33 of (permalink) Old 11-08-2017, 01:15 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSadmin View Post
Thanks, I've sent a ticket to our tech to get this looked into. (#2798570)

@zeljkok What way are you viewing the site on your mobile? Was it in the enhanced mobile view or the full desktop view? Can you take a screenshot of the ads so I can see them?

Niall
Niall -- it is enhanced mobile view. Right now I have Forums Index list, and then there are 2 add bars at the bottom; upper is static while lower constantly changes (rotates). They spread across horizontally and consume 10-15% of the screen height. It is distracting. But I guess key point is -- I was so used of seeing everything without any adds on desktop because of add blocker. I imagine this is how lots of people would feel too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Hey,

If your talking about these ads:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171109-112255.png
Views:	49
Size:	371.8 KB
ID:	240578

These are a part of the EMV, and are meant to be there.

Niall
post #35 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 01:58 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Hey,

If your talking about these ads:

Attachment 240578

These are a part of the EMV, and are meant to be there.

Niall
Maybe so, but I was commenting on overall "adds concept" as I am certain this caused significant user drain + likely low monetization anyways.

btw in my sample there were TWO bars, not one at the bottom. One was static but other dynamic i.e. adds changing. They were on top of each other.

On other pages I see sometime rectangular add that consumes at least top 40% of my mobile screen. This is very intrusive.
post #36 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 02:59 PM
Hittin' the Trails

@zeljkok:

> recently I started using more Android smartphone without any sort of add blocker

In case it helps, Firefox for Android supports ad blockers: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ublock-origin/.

But I agree with you on the general point, CT is unusable without ad blockers.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 03:14 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by siral View Post
@zeljkok:

> recently I started using more Android smartphone without any sort of add blocker

In case it helps, Firefox for Android supports ad blockers: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...ublock-origin/.

But I agree with you on the general point, CT is unusable without ad blockers.

oh yes, I know but curious for a bit.

Presumably companies make $$$ from google adds in their web presence. I am in a loss how is that possible in any significant amount. They are hugely unpopular & most everyone I know runs some sort of add blocker & would never click on Internet add, even if google tailors them based on Internet browsing history from your cache. In some cases, as with Club Tread, they are actually counter effective and cause more damage than benefit.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 05:25 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

I've always assumed it was bots clicking, not humans. Pay-per-click metric is exactly wrong if adverts are supposed to target humans.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 08:45 PM
Summit Master

I am no expert, but bot clicks are illegal; it is form of theft where business that pays for add publishing is victim. Google, as publishing clearinghouse, has invested into infrastructure to validate human generated clicks. They also ensure you don't click on your own adds. If you are adsense client (add publisher), they have list of your devices (not just by IP address); if you click on your own add, you see click added into your account for about an hour, then it disappears. They also remove your own views from CTR index.

Each 1st in the month is 'accounting day' -- Google software runs against the clicks generated in previous month that passed initial filter (i.e self clicks). I believe this is where bot clicks are removed. I had 'valid' clicks --from somewhere in South America most frequently-- only to be removed on 'accounting' day -- I assume because they were 'bot' clicks. How do they do that I don't know but I imagine they maintain various lists of IP addresses. Valid web page (re)indexing, which happens all the time, does not generate add clicks.

Fraud is still of course frequent. You can ask friends to click on your adds, or go to public places like Apple Store and keep clicking on your adds as long as someone doesn't kick you out of the store.

Last edited by zeljkok; 11-09-2017 at 09:00 PM.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2017, 11:34 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
I am no expert, but bot clicks are illegal; it is form of theft where business that pays for add publishing is victim.
Spam is illegal too. Look how well that works.
mick range likes this.
post #41 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 12:45 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Spam is illegal too. Look how well that works.
Spam is pollution, bot clicks is stealing. There is a difference.
post #42 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Administrator

If you're not logged in, you'll see more ads. you'll see all the ads for guest users, which is why we recommend that you guys log in since you are members.

Of course even as members, we still have some ads.
If they are intrusive, you can report them to use with the screenshot and bad url and a little brief on why it's disturbing your experience.

Lee
post #43 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 03:39 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Spam is pollution, bot clicks is stealing. There is a difference.
If my plan charges 1 cent per text received while roaming and I get 1000 spam texts, it hits my pocketbook, but it's not stealing from me?
post #44 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2017, 04:57 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
If my plan charges 1 cent per text received while roaming and I get 1000 spam texts, it hits my pocketbook, but it's not stealing from me?
Again, there is difference -- bot click is theft for direct benefit (of whoever runs bots). Mobile roaming example ends benefiting network without direct intention.

But this is all rhetoric that can be argued one way or the other. Bottom line is -- I don't believe (majority of) add clicks are bot generated, because higher scrutiny of publisher clearinghouse, i.e google adsense. Would be interesting to chat with someone from google about it
post #45 of (permalink) Old 11-11-2017, 12:26 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
If you're not logged in, you'll see more ads. you'll see all the ads for guest users, which is why we recommend that you guys log in since you are members.

Of course even as members, we still have some ads.
If they are intrusive, you can report them to use with the screenshot and [b] ad url [/url] and a little brief on why it's disturbing your experience.

Lee
That's typically what I do on CT, login before use.

However a few weeks ago I signed into CT, while using my company laptop via our corporate VPN. This is loaded with multiple SSL, transacts through an obfuscating server in the USA, has multiple levels of encryption and their own real-time threat surveillance for all employee systems. It is always right. A minute after I logged in, I received a text from IT at head office in the States saying that at least one advert, displaying on the CT login page, prior to login, contained embedded malware, Malvertising, if you will. Curiously, a while later my Macafee anti-virus layer also reported 'suspicious' attempts, which my company says was at a TCP sequence attack, but in my case all connectivity was shut off immediately by my company, a scan done and all clear.

I do think CT needs to pay attention to the potential for embedded nasty stuff in what may be legitimate advertising. How are you ensuring that is so?

Last edited by xj6response; 11-11-2017 at 12:28 PM. Reason: missed words

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page