ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   Site Feedback, Help, and Suggestions (https://forums.clubtread.com/9-site-feedback-help-suggestions/)
-   -   Advertising on Clubtread is WAY OVER THE TOP!! (https://forums.clubtread.com/9-site-feedback-help-suggestions/86946-advertising-clubtread-way-over-top.html)

xj6response 09-20-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tricouni (Post 813706)
I'm always logged in, and I don't see any of these ads within posts, but I do see ads on the sidebar on the right side of the screen and on the bar at the top of some pages.

I don't use any ad-blocking software.

Ditto, sidebar ads only, no ad blocker, always logged in when on CT

VSadmin 09-21-2017 12:29 PM

These are just the standard ads and not the ones described above?
The ads that are hidden within words/phrases?

Richard.

idealistic74 09-21-2017 04:44 PM

OUR words are being turned into links to products (it appears by some company called viglink). That's the ads I'm talking about.

Candy Sack 09-21-2017 05:59 PM

I'm usually logged in when viewing CT and use an adblock. I've said before that without adblock the site would be unbearable for me. However, I just logged out and viewed one of my TR's and I feel that idealistic74 makes a good point. A bunch of words in my TR are hyperlinked and take me to ridiculous ads for random products. Not to mention my pics have ads splatted onto them. It's pretty lame. I don't know what can be done, but I know for me, I won't spend time on websites that have too many ads. For non-members without adblock this website is not attractive, IMO.

Also, when I log in, why am I still getting asked to vote in an old photo contest?

VSadmin 09-22-2017 10:16 AM

Where are you seeing the prompt to vote?

As to the viglink comments. As has been stated they are randomized and don't target by user, if you're seeing them hit heavy saturation on a post or report please link it here and it can be looked into.

Kyle

Candy Sack 09-22-2017 11:32 AM

I see the prompt to vote on the index page when I log in. It says:

"Hey Candy Sack!
The entries are in - time to vote!! You should head over and vote for your favourites!
ClubTread Community"

So, the viglink is random. But you guys can't choose to stop it completely, even for non-members?

zeljkok 09-22-2017 01:26 PM

I have also seen this prompt to vote

Yesterday in Apple Store I browsed CT Forums and then 1 of my reports. Never saw this viglink thing; only 'normal' adds that were fairly blocky (but not different from what you can see on other sites). I checked both iPad and MacBook. Was NOT logged on.

VSadmin 09-22-2017 04:28 PM

I cleared the voting notice in the back end so you should not be seeing this anymore. I used a test account of ours and tried it myself and it isn't there anymore. Can you confirm on your end, @Candy Sack? Thanks.

@zeljkok - if you're seeing these viglinks when you are logged in, let us know (link the pages they appear on).

Thanks,
Nate

zeljkok 09-22-2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VSadmin (Post 813914)

@zeljkok - if you're seeing these viglinks when you are logged in, let us know (link the pages they appear on).

Thanks,
Nate

Nate -- will do, but I doubt I'll see them. I didn't even know they existed before this thread;

Candy Sack 09-22-2017 08:57 PM

No Nate, I no longer see the prompt to vote. Thanks.

TheShadow 09-26-2017 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Candy Sack (Post 813817)
A bunch of words in my TR are hyperlinked and take me to ridiculous ads for random products.

If that's the case, one shouldn't mention the beavers they saw while walking along the dyke....

Eryne 11-06-2017 04:04 PM

I was looking at some trail information on the trail wiki, while logged into the forum and saw the links. Made me think I had a virus. Really peeved me, actually. Kind of makes me want to delete my additions to the trail wiki because I don't personally stand by those links. They seem below board and sneaky. It's fine to make advertising money, as long as it's upfront and honest. Put a disclaimer on the trail wiki telling people you're making money from VigLinks, and it should be fine. Also, to stop people thinking they have some virus.

VSadmin 11-07-2017 10:42 AM

Hey,

We don't use viglinks as an advertising tool on our sites. Can you send me a link to the thread in question?

Niall

Eryne 11-07-2017 04:18 PM

https://www.clubtread.com/Routes/Rout...tml?Route=1129

This is one of the pages on the trail wiki. The link in question is near the bottom where I recommend you bring water shoes.
I didn't check on other computers, but I checked on a couple of browsers and they all have the link.
I didn't click on the link so I don't know where it takes you.

Eryne 11-07-2017 04:24 PM

Oooh, look what I found:

https://www.viglink.com/opt-out/