User Tag List

2Likes
  • 1 Post By zeljkok
  • 1 Post By VSDM

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-21-2017, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default this is so bloody annoying, but,

how do I delete a post*. I checked the FAQ and I read this: "To edit or delete your posts, click the Edit button by the particular post.". That doesn't work. Help.

* this doesn't mean I don't want to post, I do. I just want to do it correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Interest: Poutine-lovin', maple syrup junkie.

What section are you trying to delete your post in. If you send me a link to it, I can have a look and do it for you.

Niall
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 03:12 PM
Summit Master

Niall - it was trip report woodenshoes started in "Canadian Rockies" Trip Reports Forum, but didn't like something & wanted to delete entire post. Post contained only words "Please Delete". I moved it to trash can, so issue is resolved.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Niall - it was trip report woodenshoes started in "Canadian Rockies" Trip Reports Forum, but didn't like something & wanted to delete entire post. Post contained only words "Please Delete". I moved it to trash can, so issue is resolved.
True and thank you. However, it seems pretty clear to me that for whatever reason a member should be able to delete at least their own trip report(s) and/or comments? Does that not make sense? Or am I missing something.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 03:28 PM
Summit Master

That is subject for debate; at first I also thought author should be able to delete his/her own post, but after thinking a bit its probably better not. Reason:

Post can evolve through time, gather replies, become real valuable. I.e. I started "BC Recent Conditions" thread which now has many pages, super useful info, tons of -ongoing- replies etc. Now say I decided to trash it; it would be plain bad. Besides it is extremely rare (I can remember only 1 time in last several yrs)..
Trail Talk likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
That is subject for debate; at first I also thought author should be able to delete his/her own post, but after thinking a bit its probably better not. Reason:

Post can evolve through time, gather replies, become real valuable. I.e. I started "BC Recent Conditions" thread which now has many pages, super useful info, tons of -ongoing- replies etc. Now say I decided to trash it; it would be plain bad. Besides it is extremely rare (I can remember only 1 time in last several yrs)..
Fair enough. But, at the very least before there's minimum comments or for sure non-existent comments allow an inaccurate trip report be deleted. We're all humans here and thus mistakes inevitably happen. It suggests in an FAQ that posts can be deleted. This simply isn't true though.

https://forums.clubtread.com/faq.php?...iting_deleting

"Can I edit or delete my posts?

If you have registered and are logged in, you may be able to edit and delete your posts (although the administrator may have turned off this option). Your ability to edit your posts may be time-limited, depending on how the administrator has set up the forum.

To edit or delete your posts, click the Edit Edit / Delete Message button by the particular post. If your post was the first in the thread, then deleting it may remove the entire thread."
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 06:16 PM
Administrator

Interest: Hiking, camping, photography, reading

Hey there

The FAQ is set up based on the default permissions vBulletin loads - I can get that cleaned up to better reflect the permissions granted.

As a general rule, we turn off Delete permissions, for reasons as zeljkok mentioned above as well as some more extreme cases: We also have dealt with members going on a "rage quit" and deleting everything they've ever posted. This breaks conversation which makes reading some threads quite difficult, missing half the conversation, and erases entire threads if they are the OP. In some cases, these members have been a great help to the community, posting excellent 'how-to's' and reference threads. While it is true we can usually recover most deleted things, it's a painstaking process (and time sensitive), and attachments are not necessarily guaranteed to be brought back. Disallowing Delete permissions is a preventative measure.

Editing the post to say 'delete' or some other obvious note will get the attention of a moderator who can help you out with that. You can also Report the post to it looked at sooner (if you need it). Also with Edit - you can just remove everything yourself and start all over again
zeljkok likes this.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2017, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

"Editing the post to say 'delete' or some other obvious note will get the attention of a moderator who can help you out with that." which is what happened. Now I and others know, but I'm still not sure if one shouldn't at least have the ability to delete if no comments/responses are posted.

Regardless, you people are flying this thing. Thnx for doing what you do.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page