How to improve Club Tread - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

110Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 05:31 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking, Backpacking, scrambling, climbing

I'm guilty at not replying to post enough or not posting my trip reports here. The main reason I have for not posting trip reports here is it is a pain, as far as I know (maybe I'm just missing it) there is no save as draft and uploading pictures is not the easiest thing. That's why I tend to upload to Facebook because of the ease of the drag and drop type interfaces. In the future I would rather upload to club tread more as my trips would get shown to a larger audience and I would be contributing back to the community more, as I have gotten tons of good info off of here.

I like the Idea of having a someone do a monthly column, it would be great if we could get a guide book author to do something like a monthly post highlighting a different hike/scramble/climb each month. This could also be extended to rotating through some various contributors such as guides, SAR groups, outdoor education programs, etc. Even a couple members could work on putting together a higher quality type posting with info for people who are new into outdoor activities or trying new activities such as layer systems, 10 essentials, canoeing 101 etc.
Could also consider as a way of revenue to remove some of the ads have a company such as MEC, VPO, arc'teryx have a monthly paid column.

Just to add to some of previously mention ideas:
- having CT linked to Facebook would be a great asset
- Better CT home page
- Updating trail wiki/more dummies guides. Again we could try to organize something where some members each do a couple updates a year.
- Maybe a CT instagram account ran by a Mod, using user posted pictures to highlight the trails out there and the CT site.
treord8 and VSDM like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 07:05 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

The trail wiki is almost functional, I don't think it would take alot of work to get going. I think it needs:
-Co-ordinated login with new site. Like Rachelo said, I need to use my pre-2014 credentials to edit the trail wiki. So I'm not sure how a new user would go about adding a trail. To Vsadmin: Yes everyone on the site should be able to edit the wiki, add a new trail, etc.
-Photos do not display when you click on them. However, photo upload still works!
-Cannot upload GPX file.
-The gear wiki has similar issues with login and, not being able to view photos.

I don't think it makes sense to have other stuff like calendar, hike of the week, stories, unless the site owners step up and fix the basic functionality.
Photo upload is quirky, it could be easier.
Regarding CT on a phone, I don't use it much but for me it works OK for viewing stuff. I can't imagine trying to write a trip report and insert pictures on a phone, sounds quite cumbersome.
That's my 2 cents worth for now.
Oh and one more thing, let's find the photo captions for pre 2014 photos!
VSDM likes this.

Last edited by martin; 11-15-2016 at 07:07 PM. Reason: photo captions!
post #18 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2016, 11:55 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Finally, for me, trail wikki and photo uploader/ease of posting TR's are two biggest issues.

Can't remember who posted this, but yes, yes, yes. I understand many people's desire for a better mobile platform, however I don't take many photos with my phone, and uploading from the laptop is SO tedious. Why can I post 10 pix to FB in 2 minutes, but it takes an agonizing time to do it here?

The trail wiki is a huge and undervalued resource.
VSDM likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 02:46 AM
Summit Master

In the past we had many complaints over mods not taking care of abusive members and raging off topic threads that were clearly a pattern over time. We asked to have this clamped down, in order make CT more focused on actual usable readable material for any user, new or not.

I don't agree with recent discussion or judging over some mods decisions, its not a great job if being active and keeping CT2 cleaner, you will make way more enemies than friends in that position. Sometimes a slightly heavy hand is needed to take care of things, because it didn't really happen here previously.

Thumbs up to the moderators so far, hope the site owners can step up to the plate and address what we want and need in the very near future, not weeks or months or a year, lets get some real results, because as we all agree this site is functioning way below todays standards and we are all fed up with it.
guntis likes this.
post #20 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Interest: Poutine-lovin', maple syrup junkie.

Keep the convo going guys. Love it

The issue with the trail wiki not using up-to-date passwords I've heard of before on a different site and I think we have a solution that we could try here so at least we could restore some functionality. Wouldn't be the real fix we want, as moving the whole set up to the main site would be a major undertaking and may or may not be possible based on compatibility issues between the two formats, but that part will need the tech team to take a look at it.

Kevin
guntis likes this.

admin..
post #21 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 12:47 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I know I don't post much but am a constant lurker who first found this site nearly 2 years ago and would like to be more active.

1) I agree with making Trip Reports and photo uploading easier. As a new member I have found the formatting daunting and not particularly enjoyable so I simply haven't done it. Especially if TRs are of fairly common trails for CT. I would still like to post a TR of said trips but putting in the effort when there are far more impressive photos and TRs from more experienced users doesn't seem worth it.

Perhaps an optional pre-established template that users can simply plug in some info, observations, and pictures in for a TR? This would make it both easier for new users and a smaller time commitment for new Trip Reports of popular trails, reducing the feeling of a trip needing to be Epic (or with crazy good photos) to be worth posting.

2) Another simple suggestion I really liked was changing the forum designations to Lower Mainland and Canadian Rockies. This seems like a more natural divide for who uses what regions and could really help the Alberta side.

3) I really like the ideas of a greater variety of content, although I feel like that is something we as users can take care of by being creative with thread creation. This would be especially easy if we renewed some of the really cool threads from the past by letting the old ones day and starting new ones. As a new user looking at a 5 year old 20 page thread about best hiking experiences makes me feel like my contribution wouldn't add anything. This is especially true of the Recent Conditions Thread, way too much to become familiar with. Renewal sometimes means letting the old, bloated threads die naturally. IMO.

Luc
VSDM likes this.

Not the fastest, but I get to where I am going and enjoy it.
post #22 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 01:22 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticMarmot View Post
I would still like to post a TR of said trips but putting in the effort when there are far more impressive photos and TRs from more experienced users doesn't seem worth it.
I wouldn't worry about that. This ain't no photo contest besides I'm sure many people are probably more interested in a well 'written' report than photos.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 01:36 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, exploring, reading, random shiny things

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
I wouldn't worry about that. This ain't no photo contest besides I'm sure many people are probably more interested in a well 'written' report than photos.
Agreed. I usually make some effort to assemble decent photos and a short dialogue to accompany them. But when I'm reading other reports, I am appreciative of any and all updates. Conditions updates, access updates, photos of a crux, photos that might inspire me to go somewhere new, or just a funny story in a familiar place. Just do it.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 02:44 PM
Summit Master

agreed with solo75 and guntis. Or, to reflect to what Candy said earlier, there are certainly things us users can do. From discussions like this one, to being active and supportive to others.

I look at Alberta side because this is where I'm now & how long-time posters left - including mountaineers that do some outstanding trips. I won't mention names, but easiest thing to do when you don't like something is to quit. I prefer to stay and fight for what is good and worth fighting for.

However, far bigger chunk at this time IS on owners and site improvement/reinvention IMHO.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarcasticMarmot View Post
I know I don't post much but am a constant lurker who first found this site nearly 2 years ago and would like to be more active.
2) Another simple suggestion I really liked was changing the forum designations to Lower Mainland and Canadian Rockies. This seems like a more natural divide for who uses what regions and could really help the Alberta side.
Luc
I've been pushing for splitting forums by range instead of province for years! I suggest "Coast Mountains", "Interior BC", "Rockies", and "Other Regions". Splitting out "Washington State" seems reasonable since it seems to be desired.
adm likes this.
post #26 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Interest: Hiking, camping, photography, reading

Hey everyone, first off thank you so much for your input and genuine support of this community! It is SO great to see!

I know there are a few.. really.. BIG.. items on this list. These will take some time to get up and running - and I can't make any promises as to what defines 'up' and 'running'. I know it's already been some time, and I truly appreciate your patience with this - now I'm asking for just a little more.

Some of these suggestions we can start getting in to play right away - Social connects to allow you to share between your favourite networks - I'm on it. Social pages of our own - also looking in to this.

Larger Profile Pictures - take a look at my profile now - I have that set across the community and you can (re)upload your awesome photos to your profile.

Better organized navigation - give us your suggestions as to how things should be laid out. We can still have them in Provinces, then have categories within those categories, so as to not fill up the main forum page. Or they can all be listed up front.

Tutorials are being put together to explain the functions of the forum. If there is something you would like step-by-step directions on, with screenshots, please let me know!

I noticed a few mentions of ads being an issue - can we please get a Current Ad Issues thread going so I can take a look at this? Naturally, there are ads on site, but they shouldn't be intrusive - ex. popups, redirects, auto-playing audio (without mousing over it). If you are seeing these things please give me screenshots, the link attached to that ad, and your browser/device info (in a new thread, ad issues should be kept separate please).

On the welcoming moderators - I agree that the team should be among those that reach out to new members and will be doing so myself, however I push this back on you - when you registered, was it ONLY the staff that welcomed you? New members would feel more like sticking around and posting their trips if we took those few seconds to drop in and say "Hi" - let's work on this together. It goes hand in hand with the note about posting a comment on trip reports too!

These are all fantastic points and suggestions. Please keep them coming! I will be discussing with the team and hopefully will be able to get a good chunk of these going for us.

Thanks everyone!
post #27 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 04:14 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VSDM View Post
Larger Profile Pictures - take a look at my profile now - I have that set across the community and you can (re)upload your awesome photos to your profile.
We used to have small profile pictures, but when you clicked on them, it opened up the full-size photo. That was a really nice way to keep them little and unobtrusive, but be able to see the big photo when desired.
post #28 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 04:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
I won't mention names, but easiest thing to do when you don't like something is to quit. I prefer to stay and fight for what is good and worth fighting for.
A bit harsh no? I don't think anyone is "quitting" anything - or at least I certainly don't consider myself a 'quitter'...

I spend hundreds of hours per year on my personal web site, not to mention hundreds of DOLLARS per year on related costs, to freely distribute hundreds of trips complete with GPS tracks and route details. No annoying or distracting adverts on explor8ion.com! Yet anyway...

The only reason I've quit posting detailed TR's on CT is due to a very small readership and the fact that it takes even more time to essentially duplicate what I've already put on my own site. Who likes doing the same thing TWICE right?

I personally think that the days of online forums such as CT are numbered. Social media sites are much preferred by younger folks and it's much easier for me to post links to my TR's (rather than duplicate them) that are exposed to thousands of folks who are interested.

I am well aware of the pitfalls of social media, I am just changing with the times and making my own life easier. I don't apologize for that.

Vern Dewit
post #29 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 05:21 PM
Summit Master

Vern my friend, I love you to death & my comment was not directed (only to) you.

Lots of us have personal sites we spent 100's on dollars on; zenfolio is not cheap. This is besides the point. But the fact you quit posting because of small readership and personal belief that "days of online forums such as CT are numbered" is what this discussion is all about. Lots of CT users that contributed to this discussion seem to disagree.

Fact is that someone of your stature and experience can help so much; because your word has much bigger weight due to your knowledge and experience. You don't need to waste free time to replicate your wonderful explor8ion here; simple 3 sentences, 1 pic finishing with link to detail report on your site is sufficient. This has bigger impact than you maybe think, because folks like Steven and many others look up at you and it is like avalanche; what you do, they follow.

But at the end, it does come to fundamental belief: Online forums versus social media, can they co-exist, and what one personally believes in.
vern.dewit and solo75 like this.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2016, 05:51 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern.dewit View Post
Social media sites are much preferred by younger folks and it's much easier for me to post links to my TR's (rather than duplicate them) that are exposed to thousands of folks who are interested. I am well aware of the pitfalls of social media,.
I don't bother joining any social media; okay so I'm not young anymore. I just find it easier to bookmark a site thus I visit your site regularly but for those without a blog CT is a valuable source of information and trip ideas.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page