Site Suggestions and Improvements - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Exclamation Site Suggestions and Improvements

Hello all,

I noticed you guys posting up in the password thread and would like to keep them separate so we can respond and track.

Please post suggestions, bugs, concerns here so I can monitor, report, and respond.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff M and Shane

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
VerticalScope.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 12:39 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I'm not an old timer from the old site, but one aspect of the site that I think is woefully under maintained is the trail wiki. I would love for all future TRs (only) to have mandatory search terms included, so you could link from the TR to the trail bio, or conversely view all the TRs for a trail from it's page (in order of most recent). This would greatly improve the value of the trails listing pages and make is way easier to get up to date data on a trail if you're researching/planning a trip.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 01:44 PM
Summit Master

Trail Wiki is one of key missing features. At a time I joined CT because of it and learned of many routes not found in regular hiking books.

Second missing feature are once regular calendar/photo contests. Very popular, photographers got to showcase their work, everyone enjoyed looking at pics, and end product (calendar) was not too shabby either.

Third thing many have problems with is photo upload process. I'm fine with it, but I know examples of old-time regular contributors that have stopped posting because of it. Most everyone seems to prefer old way! Also you could insert caption inside the photo; many old reports used this feature (and these captions got lost in transition btw)! Bottom line: Photo upload needs to be addressed separately of everything else.

But main problem is user drain. Shane (thanks for nice introduction!) asked in Password and Security to expand on Trip Reports (TRs). TRs are heart of the site. This is main course; everything else is side dish. People post TRs for 2 reasons: One is to document conditions, route, etc. Second is to say to community "Look where I have been". So you like to get feedback; if you don't (little views, no comments) then you think "Why did I bother" and won't do it again. If you look at Alberta Trip Reports Forum you will see couple by "mclay1234". Great reports, informative, super useful. No comments, little views. You connect the dots. I know from other sources of fantastic weekend trips by people that once posted here, but now they just update facebook page. You have to find ways to attract users (back) to the site, encourage them to post, and make them stay. This is not achieved easily & is separate discussion, but you could identify these users which still have active accounts, then start dialogue. It would make them feel wanted. Of course there is much more into it, but it would be way to start.
KARVITK and mountainnerd like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 02:00 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Trail Wiki is one of key missing features.
Missing?
https://www.clubtread.com/Routes/
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 02:13 PM
Summit Master

Yes, missing. If I try to add new route, it asks for login (even if I am logged in) and then rejects my current CT user/password. Maybe it is just a question of port, but in its current form it appears read only and looks like leftover from old days.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 02:20 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

OK, gotcha. I recall that it was only set to be editable by certain approved users. Were you on that list?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 02:38 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
People post TRs for 2 reasons: One is to document conditions, route, etc. Second is to say to community "Look where I have been". So you like to get feedback; if you don't (little views, no comments) then you think "Why did I bother" and won't do it again.
What I've noticed over the years is that comments on TR appear to be specific to location. In other words, lower mainland TR (in general) generates more comments than other regions in BC, Alberta, Washington etc. which is unfortunate. People can post TR's for the same trail in the lower mainland and probably get more comments than, say, a trail which hasn't been posted from northern BC for example.

Getting back to this:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
Quote:
I was actually wondering about the login process. Is it secure since I don't see the customary HTTPS or a lock icon to denote that."

You should be fine. We do not store any credit card, paypal, etc. information on our servers or the website itself, nor on the servers. you can log in safely.
.....the concern I have with logging in to an unsecure page is that the password can be seen in plain text by an 'attacker'....or is the page encrypted but I can't see that it is?
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 02:50 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
OK, gotcha. I recall that it was only set to be editable by certain approved users. Were you on that list?
think not, so this is probably it. I also see few updates in 2016 so it must be functional.
still might be a good idea to port to new interface if nothing else to avoid confusion.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo75 View Post
What I've noticed over the years is that comments on TR appear to be specific to location. In other words, lower mainland TR (in general) generates more comments than other regions in BC, Alberta, Washington etc. which is unfortunate. People can post TR's for the same trail in the lower mainland and probably get more comments than, say, a trail which hasn't been posted from northern BC for example.
absolutely true. But AB side has dropped noticeably even for lower traffic when compared to BC, and several posters (Vern, Engor to name a few) that contributed invaluable info over the years have now left. This is red flag I was talking about; if I was management I'd actually send email to users like this and inquire -- if nothing else, it would help identify the issues.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 03:38 PM
Off the Beaten Path

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
I just tried to login using my current (newly updated) password - rejected. Logged in with my old password, so it's not a matter of permissions. I assume the databases aren't synced up, or something. So there's that.

2) There's also the fact that images in the trail wiki no longer function and it is not possible to upload new photos. Would be nice to see photos that post-date the iphone.

3) The image uploader here is the total opposite of user-friendly. People are used to single-click photo uploads - make it difficult and you naturally drive people away. Getting large-format photos to appear is a pain in the ass.

4) People have complained in the past about poor/non-existant mobile support, inability to upload photos from mobile devices, etc.

5) I'll log in to the site on a brand-new laptop and the ads kill the performance - sound & video ads, little overlap ads on every photo. No less than 4 ads on my screen right now while I'm replying.

I like the extra talk about the trail wiki as I feel that's as important a part of this site as the trip reports. When I was just starting hiking the wiki, and sites like vancouvertrails.com, were invaluable to me. They were the major draw - not the forum.

Semper fudge

Last edited by another jeff; 07-18-2016 at 03:40 PM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 03:47 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by another jeff View Post
I just tried to login using my current (newly updated) password - rejected. Logged in with my old password, so it's not a matter of permissions. I assume the databases aren't synced up, or something. So there's that..
I tried this and you are correct. Login to the Trail Wiki is still possible but only using old (not current) passwords, probably dating to VS buying ClubTread from Jim. That's a potential security issue right there.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 03:54 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Regarding the trail wiki:
-It seems to accept my older password prior to changing it a month ago. So it must be operating on a different, older user database.
-Clicking on existing photographs doesn't seem to work.
-I can't see how to add a new photograph when editing a trail.

Aside from a better way of uploading and displaying photos during a trip report, the only other thing that I'd like to see (as mentioned by zeljkok above) would be to recover the large number of photo captions lost in the conversion process from the old forum software. In many of the old trip reports they tell the whole story.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Interest: Poutine-lovin', maple syrup junkie.

Hey all,

Im looking into the wiki and picture issue this week and see if there is anything I can push to get resolved or fixed. Since its old content from before the new changes, it may or may not be able to be recovered. Im not saying it cant be, I just do not want to make any promises I cant keep till i talk to the tech department about it.

All password issues, please send me a PM with the following information:

- Account Name
- Email On the account
- Email You need it changed to if need be

get me all this, and i will manually fix it up for you thanks.

I will personally look into the wiki stuff for you all.

The mobile issue, can you elaborate on what happens and isolate the issue for me? is it just not uploading? are the photos giving you an error? is it being done through an app? let me know.

keep the suggestions and issues coming in. me and jeff will get this figured out for you all.

~Shane

admin..
post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 06:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Might as well toss in some thoughts. I think the formatting of CT is too higgledy-piggledy. Some do a great job of report documentation, other do very little but probably because there's nothing in CT that helps direct the authoring of the TR.

I've always thought TR's would be a bit more readable if they were a little bit more standardized, like NW Hikers or TrailPeaks. Perhaps a header section with an over view/title, then an access to trailhead section, then body of the report with pics preferably with a space for non-embedded captions. NWHikers is more standardized and that makes it easy to get info from a good TR.

I often look at TR's of places others have been to and my first question is "how do I get there"?. Some members cover access nicely with map, GPX trace or description. Others don't bother but it would add so much if they did.

As for security, well, I've never logged on to CT or any unsecured site without first using some obfuscation code, like Trusteer Rapport and ALWAYS on top of a good, reputable VPN. I use Witopia over IPSec protocol or my company VPN. Quite often I am using my own customized VPN gateway. Is that over the top? perhaps for some, but that's the business I'm in and I can assure you unsecured sites like CT with text exposed credentialing are the devil's playground.
Big Ian likes this.

Last edited by xj6response; 07-18-2016 at 06:48 PM.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Interest: Poutine-lovin', maple syrup junkie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
Might as well toss in some thoughts. I think the formatting of CT is too higgledy-piggledy. Some do a great job of report documentation, other do very little but probably because there's nothing in CT that helps direct the authoring of the TR.

I've always thought TR's would be a bit more readable if they were a little bit more standardized, like NW Hikers or TrailPeaks. Perhaps a header section with an over view/title, then an access to trailhead section, then body of the report with pics preferably with a space for non-embedded captions. NWHikers is more standardized and that makes it easy to get info from a good TR.

I often look at TR's of places others have been to and my first question is "how do I get there"?. Some members cover access nicely with map, GPX trace or description. Others don't bother but it would add so much if they did.

As for security, well, I've never logged on to CT or any unsecured site without first using some obfuscation code, like Trusteer Rapport and ALWAYS on top of a good, reputable VPN. I use Witopia over IPSec protocol or my company VPN. Quite often I am using my own customized VPN gateway. Is that over the top? perhaps for some, but that's the business I'm in and I can assure you unsecured sites like CT with text exposed credentialing are the devil's playground.
this is something we can look into. ill check with jeff as well to see if we can do some better formatting there.

~Shane
VS Jeff likes this.

admin..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page