Site Suggestions and Improvements - Page 3 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

I am getting feedback from users having difficulty in uploading photos to trip reports. One of the users who has been a frequent contributor will attempt one more time, another failure... and this user will not be returning to CT.

Photo Uploading is a very serious issue, and should be given a "URGENT " priority.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
Well said Kanike. let's hope for improvement that will hold you to CT

truth be told, it takes a bit of bit geekiness to be happy with a) copy/paste of an image address then b) insert [img] [/img] then c) minus the ampersand and 'thumbs' text to display pics insitu frame type, all on top of making sure the image dimensions and disk size are not violated. A few of us are geeks that way but most are not and why should anyone have to put up with that?

CT really should have a straight ahead drag+drop of images, with automatic resizing to fit dimension and /or size requirements. That's why Facebook is easy, because you don't have to care about the dimensions/size of your image or monkeying around with xml elements and image addresses, it just forces your dragged picture through a compliance checker and does it for you.

This stuff is not hard to code.

So let it be written, so let it be done

EXACTLY. Before the Switch over, I for one among users enjoyed an easy and quick method of uploading pictures which included automatic resizing and ease of adding captions. The cost of adding if required, additional software to facilitate this, would be well worth it..............otherwise this site will continue to loose more of our seasoned contributing users.

Loss of users = loss of market for "advertisers' = diminishing advertiser revenue perhaps.......... Cost of this loss could escalate.

In the meantime I applied a "geekiness" approach .. to getting my trip reports loaded with pictures.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #33 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 11:33 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
when I see 50+ posts on facebook after the weekend and none here, that says just about everything (and yes, long-time CT posters that stopped coming to CT happily post on FB).

But CT is still CT, excellent resource and for many part of lifestyle where new friends are made. Just this thread with many inputs is good sign; people still care. So things can be good again, and better. You just have to work on it.
bingo! CT is still a superb resource with a user base whose backgrounds are diverse, experienced and imaginative. What i've always enjoyed about is the sense that you're sharing in someone's personal adventure, often quite deeply. That intimacy and the knowledge base on CT are too valuable to lose.

post #34 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 11:55 PM
Banned

There seems to be quite a few new members posting lately, so that's good. I don't post as much or do many TR's anymore though because frankly, as others have said, it's a pain in the ass. Improve the photo uploader.

Furthermore, the adds and click-bate suck. Super annoying.... When I view the site I have no interest in looking at that crap. If it wasn't for adblock I would not view the site at all.
VS Jeff and treord8 like this.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the input guys!

I will work with Shane on creating a punch list of items to work on and try to knock them out ASAP.

Start with the image uploader.

Keep the feedback coming.

Jeff M
treord8 likes this.

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
VerticalScope.com
post #36 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 08:11 PM
High on the Mountain Top

No point complaining about the advertising, that's the only thing without compromise in clubtread: corporate edition.
Someone's gotta pay the rent.

Some good suggestions and feedback here, there is certainly hope for clubtread yet, keep keep it up. But the ads stay.
VS Jeff likes this.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanuck View Post
No point complaining about the advertising, that's the only thing without compromise in clubtread: corporate edition.
Someone's gotta pay the rent.

Some good suggestions and feedback here, there is certainly hope for clubtread yet, keep keep it up. But the ads stay.
If the ads weren't so horrific, more people might view them. I whitelist some sites I want to support, but not CT because the ads are totally insane. If I were unable to view it without an adblocker, I would not use the site.
VS Jeff likes this.
post #38 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2016, 10:05 PM
High on the Mountain Top

The ads seem standard targeted googlead stuff to me. Everyone that google can identify gets personalized ads based on what google thinks your interests are.

I don't know what ad anyone else is seeing, google thinks I'm in the market for a honkin' big lawn tractor and some frilly cheap decor items...

"Horrific ads"? What kind of searches have you been doing?
OK, sorry, sorry, that was funny not mean I hope. Ads are highly annoying especially on mobile where they cover half the screen and cost you data, but that's how the internet runs. The only alternative is a small group of techy involved people doing it themselves out of passion, with maybe some hosting costs covered by donation.

A community can still exist within the business model, but only via ad revenue.
post #39 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 01:41 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Everyone that google can identify gets personalized ads based on what google thinks your interests are.
Yes. Maybe not subject of this thread, but adds are world of their own. I integrated google adds on personal site, primarily from curiosity; when I load page on Win box - 1 add. On Mac -- different add. And the other day loaded on tablet in BestBuy - got something completely different. The infrastructure they (google) developed for adds is quite amazing though, analytics, impressions, page RPM and who knows what else.

I do have problem understanding that business model; nobody likes them and will not click out of principle.

Don't think adds are problem for (new) CT though. Besides Adblock plus is free and effective.
post #40 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
The ads seem standard targeted googlead stuff to me. Everyone that google can identify gets personalized ads based on what google thinks your interests are.

I don't know what ad anyone else is seeing, google thinks I'm in the market for a honkin' big lawn tractor and some frilly cheap decor items...

"Horrific ads"? What kind of searches have you been doing?
OK, sorry, sorry, that was funny not mean I hope. Ads are highly annoying especially on mobile where they cover half the screen and cost you data, but that's how the internet runs. The only alternative is a small group of techy involved people doing it themselves out of passion, with maybe some hosting costs covered by donation.

A community can still exist within the business model, but only via ad revenue.
My issue is with the size and frequency of the ads, not their content. If they weren't so intrusive, I'd consider unblocking this site and giving them some views, but they are so plastered over everything that I find the site unusable with the ads.
post #41 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2016, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelo View Post
My issue is with the size and frequency of the ads, not their content. If they weren't so intrusive, I'd consider unblocking this site and giving them some views, but they are so plastered over everything that I find the site unusable with the ads.
Understood, an option....

We could activate this and have a new user group for add free with subscriptions if users prefer.
https://forums.clubtread.com/payments.php

An example of the site with the subscription based format. Note prices, options, and additional features can be swapped around.
http://www.camaros.net/forums/payments.php
or
http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/payments.php

Jeff M

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
VerticalScope.com
post #42 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2016, 12:20 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by treord8 View Post
I haven't been posting long, so I can't say much about how posting/pictures have changed recently, but I have searched it for trip reports and I have been posting TR's over on Livetrails.com for the past year so I can speak when comparing with that site. As far as searchability, I would echo what others have said, its hard to find all TR's for a given trail, and I think this is in large part due to lack of consistency of TR format and titles; I like Livetrails with respect to this as every TR gets linked to a particular trail that is in the database and any user can add a new trail if it is not already in the database. It also has a map segment (as do the main trail sites in Washington and Oregon), where it is easy to scroll around to different regions/locations and click on trails that you are interested in. I also like that it is easy to add a GPS track and photos to each TR on Livetrails, as you can easily add from Facebook, Flickr, youtube or other online picture/video site accounts, or upload from your computer. That being said, that site is limited primarily to TR's while clubtread has many more useful discussions about a variety of topics, and there is a much broader information base on clubtread through previous postings, trail wiki's, and the current active user base. I think it may be useful for the IT department to look into adding similar features that other sites currently offer. Hope that adds some value to the conversation.
I haven't finished reading all the comments, but this struck me. There are many sites with better data presentation and resources than CT (think Trailforks, for biking) and individual apps competing for this audience. I find the main benefit of the forum specifically comes from reading another's TR of a trip that I have already done. This lets me measure a perspective of their experience against my own, and understand how they experienced a destination that I'm already familiar with, letting me gauge the worth of taking in that member's other experiences. The natural progression of this is that I spend time reading TRs of members who's experience I respect, even if I have never or never plan to visit their TRs destination. Someone new to the site isn't going to appreciate Karl's support, or Masiar's humor, or Arnold's..... humor, or Muskeeto's comprehensiveness, or Mazegirl's prolific-ness (if that's a word); the value of the cumulative contributions of active experienced members, not at a glance in any case.

If one can't get good directions and description of a destination, nor recent-ish data on conditions, or decent photo documentation of the challenges faced, or access to a community when you have questions (all mentioned here as concerns), one will look elsewhere.
treord8 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page