How to vote out a moderator? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

60Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2015, 10:45 PM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Default How to vote out a moderator?

Is there a procedure to remove a moderator from their position?

Sean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 12:13 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Professional Rock Licker

Well, I'm pretty disappointed in that attitude coming out of the moderators. I looked up the last 50 posts over the last 2 months by RGB and I don't see anything that warrants banning. The recent post regarding Black Mountain viewpoints and huts does not seem worthy of a banning. Perhaps we should let the community see it and therefore see why people are getting banned. I see lots of good posts over that 2 month period, not a history that has been suggested by the moderators. See for yourself, here's the original post.

SNIP
<please do not continually repost things from banned members>

if you're not hiking you should be skiing

Last edited by Dru; 04-07-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: to get rid of quoted RGB stuff
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 12:21 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

RGB was not above trolling (see his comments about packing a gun on trails)..

And if the moderator says he was warned once before, that's good enough for me (but maybe 3 strikes, at least?).

But I still say they should be told privately why their posts are being removed so they can be edited, if desired.

We can't have it both ways. We wanted moderators to clean this place up, we voted for them, and now we're going to cry foul on every move they make?
kellymcdonald78 and W.C-hiker like this.

Who needs a signature? Mine is always: Last edited by dougz; Today at 03:27 PM

Last edited by dougz; 04-03-2015 at 12:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 12:36 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Perhaps it's more a matter of degrees of control.

For example, another forum that I belong to will delete/replace offensive thread posts, replacing with a message that says "Deleted due to offensive nature" or some such, leaving the rest of the thread visible (maybe as an example?).
Further, entire threads have been locked/made inaccessible, but still visible on the menu or in search results (also as an example?).

Also, users can earn "reputation points", voted on by the community. Perhaps when you reach a certain negative value, you get the boot.

Actions like these will leave a bit more transparency for the community, while frustrating the efforts of someone trying to goad said community.

Having said that, there should also be a process for changing moderators occasionally, no-one ever said it should be in perpetuity. Maybe we need a 2 term system, with each term lasting 4 years (but the first 4 years should be spent gladhanding in order to be elected for the 2nd term whereupon you do what you want).

Thoughts?
calixtomoon likes this.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 02:15 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

I would prefer if this thread did not mention specifics on who and what. But concentrated on my question above.

Side discussions on non specific improvements (moderator length of term, etc.) I am ok with.

I will say that some recent incidents on clubtread have left me very disappointed with this site and how it is being managed.

I will admit that I abstained from the moderator voting process, as it did not seem like it was being conducted in a manner that seemed fair or proper. Please don't confuse abstaining from voting and not voting; they are different (there was no abstaining option on the vote form). As to why I did not like the original vote; I will not address that, at this time.

Dougz this is not about crying foul on "every move". This is about abuse of power, fair treatment and respect.

I have filed what can best be described as a formal complaint (outside of this thread).
tinbasher likes this.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 03:12 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

As far as I've seen, there is no such procedure. I don't see anything in the mod info.
There should be such a process. Perhaps admins should weigh in on that angle on things?
calixtomoon likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 03:29 AM
tu
High on the Mountain Top

I'll say King Stork is doing just fine. Pretty clear what RGB was trying to do there. Ribbit.
VS Jeff likes this.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 03:31 AM
Headed for the Mountains

In the meantime, there's got to be a check system for the moderators. Let everyone know what the reason is as soon as possible if it's going away from the rules and standard practice

Sample Mod training Manual: to reference Mod Thread
"Sometimes we deviate from standard practice and make exceptions because it's appropriate. Please discuss any exceptions to standard practice with other moderators prior to action."

"The moderators work best as a team. We regularly discuss actions before taking them, from determining whether a questionable post is spam to whether a person should be given an infraction. "

Update the Clubtread Rules and Guidelines if need be, but obviously people are upset about this, some have gone to the extent of analyzing all the posts. So even before the process of voting out mods comes in place, make things clear on any side rules.

Don't want to see threads like this pop up all summer
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 05:41 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelo View Post
As far as I've seen, there is no such procedure. I don't see anything in the mod info.
There should be such a process. Perhaps admins should weigh in on that angle on things?
Thank you Rachelo for your unbiased reply.

It is my hope that admin weighs in after careful consideration.
VS Jeff likes this.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by tu View Post
I'll say King Stork is doing just fine. Pretty clear what RGB was trying to do there. Ribbit.
Your reply is just nonsense. It makes no sense. Can you re phrase your reply to make some sort of sense?
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 05:43 AM Thread Starter
Headed for the Mountains

Unfortunately we need some clear rules on moderate privileges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenarc View Post
In the meantime, there's got to be a check system for the moderators. Let everyone know what the reason is as soon as possible if it's going away from the rules and standard practice

Sample Mod training Manual: to reference Mod Thread
"Sometimes we deviate from standard practice and make exceptions because it's appropriate. Please discuss any exceptions to standard practice with other moderators prior to action."

"The moderators work best as a team. We regularly discuss actions before taking them, from determining whether a questionable post is spam to whether a person should be given an infraction. "

Update the Clubtread Rules and Guidelines if need be, but obviously people are upset about this, some have gone to the extent of analyzing all the posts. So even before the process of voting out mods comes in place, make things clear on any side rules.

Don't want to see threads like this pop up all summer
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 01:16 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Guys are and speaking with the mods now on Best Practices.

All will be fine and I am confidant in the mod team that you guys spent 2 months choosing, voting, and reviewing. We are no where at the point to vote out a mod over one issue.

Jeff
W.C-hiker likes this.

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
VerticalScope.com
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 01:23 PM
Summit Master

Kudos to Dru for doing the right thing. sgRant/RGB/<who knows how many other aliases around> was all about trolling and negativity. Make no mistake; that post was not about "viewpoints", it was cleverly disguised stab at yet another controversy, just like that Gore/Suzuki, Pond breach etc were. This site is about outdoors. All you jokers/tinmans know is to complain; try to contribute in positive manner with trip report, condition update, gear review or something like that for a change.

We should all support Dru for excellent job he is doing; no more ubishops spam and worst CT troll ever now eaten in short time. Very important to show firm hand at the beginning too.
susied, dblair, LeeL and 8 others like this.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS Jeff View Post
Guys are and speaking with the mods now on Best Practices.
All will be fine and I am confidant in the mod team that you guys spent 2 months choosing, voting, and reviewing. We are no where at the point to vote out a mod over one issue.
Jeff
I'm not saying that a mod needs to be voted out, but I think it is correct that we should have a process by which a mod can be removed, and it should be part of the standard rules, so there's no need to wait until there is a major problem to figure out what to do with it.
It seems reasonable to me that a basis and procedure for removal should be part of the information on the roles and responsibilities of moderators, and that this be determined well before it is needed.
calixtomoon likes this.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2015, 05:22 PM
Summit Master

Interest: Love the outdoors. Hiking, backpacking, geocaching, camping, canoeing, and kayaking. Did I say camp

I think this thread sucks. Way too soon in the game to even consider getting rid of a mod.

There is no way that everyone is going to be happy when a mod, moderates. Less so when they decide to drop the banhammer. All 3 of them have been members for a long time, I'm willing to trust their judgment even if I may not always agree with it.

I certainly think it's sucky to see threads crop up (what's it been two, three?) that second guess the moderators for doing what they were "hired" to do.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page