Updated Smartphone View on the Site - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Interest: Poutine-lovin', maple syrup junkie.
Default Updated Smartphone View on the Site

Team, FYI, we will be putting live a new smartphone view tomorrow.

The mobile view does not currently have any moderator level functionality, and is made so that members can post, reply, and so forth. You can exit the mobile view using the top level menu on the site and choosing the "Exit Enhanced Mobile Mode" option. Your browser will then remember not to use it. We're planning to add lots of new features to this mobile view so that you can do as much, if not more, than what you can do when at your computer.

The new view does support image uploading from your phone and is designed with a cool slider at the bottom, a breadcrumb that moves left and right, and is optimized to look really slick on mobile devices.

A few notes:

* This does not replace the free or paid in-apps that you have, such as any mobile app. This is web-only.
* This new skin will only show when you access the site from a modern (Android 4+, iPhone) phone. It will not show for older phones or for tablets, blackberries or windows phones

We'll post up a public announcement about it as well, but wanted to let you guys know about it first. We'll also create a feedback thread and we'll be watching it to make sure every bug is reviewed and addressed.

Thanks in advance and hope you enjoy the new feature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Feedback from a member:

https://forums.clubtread.com/561689-post276.html

I've been testing CT on android mobile for the past few weeks. Also, have had my daughter who is a CT lurker and intense mobile user looking at the site on iPhone. For FYI, I travel in Canada and USA a lot and use TELUS and VERIZON nobiule respectively. Have viewed, replied and attempted to post TR's on both of these networks in 2G, 3G and 4G:
Enhanced mobile CT is generally NOT faster to view, load or post on. In all cases the interface is notably slower to use, especially on 2G or 3G networks. Previous CT loaded, viewed quickly on lower speed networks.
Page rotations are jumpy and often result in residual text on the screen from prior rotation. Perhaps the density of mobile pages causes re-draws to overload caches and might need thinning out.
Posting Trip Reports is cumbersome, with image uploading and thumbnail embedding being almost unusable. I've just given up
Selecting out of Enhanced Mobile often stalls the application, not sure why but it is particularly tough when i'm on the USA Verizon network, even with 4G
One other observation. I've asked some CT lurkers I know, who drop in to view TR's, to try mobile view. Their feedback is at best, indifferent, at worst not positive. Much has been lost, especially for non-members, by chnaging the previous approach of loading the recent threads, sequentially, right on the home page.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Feedback from a member:

"Jeff

I realize mobile issues are elsewhere but there doesn't seem to be much going on there. So could I please ask that the default 'enhanced' mobile view be turned off, whether I sign in or not. The 'enhanced' view is awful. Unstable, jumpy page view, slow loading, crap page rotations and often the login process simply doesn't take.

I do not want to have to login to do this as a user selectable item. If it was a useful experience fine, but its not, at all. I've tested on three provider networks in all bands. Just for the sake of protecting the CT brand at least ditch the default enhanced view till it's fixed. Also, the banner ads that are invoked seem to be the same resolution as would be found on non-mobile site. These dominate the loading process in small screen probably caching out.

I realize there's lots to work on but just get rid of that enhanced view until a decent mobile interface can be produced. If a user wants the enhanced view let them login, select for it and endure the experience."
https://forums.clubtread.com/9-site-f...-new-post.html

Jeff

Jeff
Community Manager/Admin
VerticalScope.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I've been using Clubtread for years on my Android and since the site upgrade have not been able to view any pages except the old homepage, which as mentioned has not been changed and now does not even reflect most recent posts. Am I missing something? I've tried searching for more info on the site using my laptop and the CT search engine but have found nothing... I really miss CT, but there is no way I will be able to use it without mobile access. Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 12:54 PM
Summit Master

I'm reading this from my iPhone right now. Just type forums.clubtread.com log in and here you are.

Whatever you do, don't use the Enhanced version of CT mobile, use the default plain interface instead. Then your screen will not be covered 70% in ads.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 02:02 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Thanks for the speedy reply, seawallrunner- I've tried loading the forums page so many times, but just get a blank grey screen when I try to load anything but the old home page. 8( I pulled my laptop out today to post, to see if anyone else was having this issue. Maybe an Android problem? Has the new mobile site been tested for all browsers and platforms? I miss this site-sob!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-20-2014, 02:24 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixer View Post
Thanks for the speedy reply, seawallrunner- I've tried loading the forums page so many times, but just get a blank grey screen when I try to load anything but the old home page. 8( I pulled my laptop out today to post, to see if anyone else was having this issue. Maybe an Android problem? Has the new mobile site been tested for all browsers and platforms? I miss this site-sob!
It's not an Android problem, it's probably related to the cache/processor/memory/mobile network of your device or provider. That said, the mobile CT experience is dreadful. Page re-draws and rotations are painfully latent, even on the best devices and even when not using enhanced view. Further, the new CT mobile does not allow for 'pinch' zoom.

The new image display method of larger images in TR's is painful on anything but the fastest networks. Forcing the load up of numerous hi-resolution images, instead of thumbnails, is exactly what a developer should NOT do for the mobile environment.

The world is going mobile and like you, i really miss the simplicity of the old CT because I am a major mobile user. Even replying to threads without uploads is a non-starter.

I hope they sort this soon.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Yeah, I use my phone almost exclusively for browsing, with exceptions made for printing maps/directions but that's about it. Since the site upgrade I've been on CT maybe three times from my PC at work, rather than my usual daily prowl. I know it is a struggle to keep these sites running, and although I can't make a huge dent in funding issues I'd be happy to make a yearly donation to see CT continue. Too many have invested too much already to see it slide. Hopefully the issue will be addressed, though, as I can't see myself using CT anymore if I cannot access it on mobile at all. Sigh.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 04:48 PM
Summit Master

Sixer if you scroll to the bottom of the main page for discussion topics you will see a small drop down menu for preferred interfaces- first choice is CT Light but the second one is CT Mobile. Choose that one.

One more bonus with that interface, there's a secret function that then appears, that allows you to mark all threads as read.

Try that on droid?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 05:16 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Too many have invested too much already to see it slide. Hopefully the issue will be addressed, though, as I can't see myself using CT anymore if I cannot access it on mobile at all. Sigh.
Things would be a little more convenient if the default view was 'light' or non-enhanced. That presentation is a bit leaner although the new method of larger image display is a crusher on mobile, particularly on 2g or maxed out 3g networks. There's still no pinch-zoom capability and page rotations are annoying clunky. Those things aside, the mobile view is just way too dense.

The world is going mobile, these things should be considered as not doing so will diminish interest in CT. I'd gladly pay a yearly user fee to CT if the new format was better, especially if it had its own well-designed mobile app.

post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, I use my phone almost exclusively for browsing, with exceptions made for printing maps/directions but that's about it. Since the site upgrade I've been on CT maybe three times from my PC at work, rather than my usual daily prowl. I know it is a struggle to keep these sites running, and although I can't make a huge dent in funding issues I'd be happy to make a yearly donation to see CT continue. Too many have invested too much already to see it slide. Hopefully the issue will be addressed, though, as I can't see myself using CT anymore if I cannot access it on mobile at all. Sigh.
Depending on what browser you use, you may be able to force the desktop view to show and bypass the mobile view all together. What browser are you using?

~KM, community support

admin..
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 12:58 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Seawallrunner-thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, this many months later, I still cannot even load the forums page to find the CT mobile or CT lite versions... The only CT page that loads for my on mobile is the old home page, and the trail wiki, no discussion forums at all. I still peek every now and then to see if this has been fixed, but until then I'm very unlikely to spend my time off posting on my laptop or using my computer at work... Still miss CT, even after so many months away since the site "upgrade". Again, I'd be happy to pay for the site if it meant I could actually use it, as one does in the 21st Century, on one's phone... Sigh...

I am not the most savvy user out there for sure... I use an HTC Sensation, a few years old, and whatever the default browser is with that OS (some sort of dessert name, as I recall...? LOL...)

Last edited by sixer; 04-13-2015 at 01:00 PM. Reason: added reply to admin.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 02:18 PM
Summit Master

I'm reading our discussion from my iPhone 5s - sorry I could not be of more help

I'm still waiting for "mobile extended" to be removed from default. It's so very slow and has too many moving pieces. Love mobile light option. Mobile is the only way I log in here, thx.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2015, 03:02 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Originally Posted by seawallrunner View Post
I'm reading our discussion from my iPhone 5s - sorry I could not be of more help

I'm still waiting for "mobile extended" to be removed from default. It's so very slow and has too many moving pieces. Love mobile light option. Mobile is the only way I log in here, thx.
I've noticed an improvement in CT mobile. Page rotations are snappier, page loads quicker. Logins and reply to posts work correctly.

I'll be across the USA on business in a few weeks and will be pounding on CT on the Hodge Podge of 2G, 3G and 4G networks i come across down south. We'll see how it goes

post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Quote:
Seawallrunner-thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, this many months later, I still cannot even load the forums page to find the CT mobile or CT lite versions... The only CT page that loads for my on mobile is the old home page, and the trail wiki, no discussion forums at all. I still peek every now and then to see if this has been fixed, but until then I'm very unlikely to spend my time off posting on my laptop or using my computer at work... Still miss CT, even after so many months away since the site "upgrade". Again, I'd be happy to pay for the site if it meant I could actually use it, as one does in the 21st Century, on one's phone... Sigh...

I am not the most savvy user out there for sure... I use an HTC Sensation, a few years old, and whatever the default browser is with that OS (some sort of dessert name, as I recall...? LOL...)
What happens when you tap on message board from the homepage?

~Kay

admin..

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page