User Tag List

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2014, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, cycling, traveling, movies, trying new places to eat
Default feedback about this new site

Constructive feedback:

1) when you go to https://www.clubtread.com it looks like exactly the site it was before the change. Then you click on anything on the site and it goes to a different looking site and looks like you're going from one site to another totally different site

2) There are ads everywhere. just below the top bar, on the right side top, right in the middle of people's trip reports. This site is not focused on us, the community, it is focused on ads. There is even an ad when you upload photos. I feel like I'm getting totally bombarded. It's completely over the top. The kind of thing that could drive people away from this site.

I find it odd that no one in the community is allowed to advertise themselves (apparently you can even report club tread members who advertise), but there are advertisements absolutely everywhere on this site.

3)When I click on photo thumbnails in trip report the photos don't come. It says "cannot connect to server"

Positive feedback

1) the top bar imagery is eye catching

2) I like the toolbar. It's easier to use. When I want to make text bold it makes the text that I highlight bold versus the html code showing up at the end the post and me having to copy and past the html at the beginning and end of the text I want to bold

3) Can upload a bunch of photos at once which is great. I'd always had issues uploading photos more than one at a time before. I like I can drag multiple photos at once

4) I like the "report post" function. This will allow the community to self moderate.

These are just my initial thoughts, I'm sure as I navigate through this new format I'll have more to say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 12:01 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, AT Skiing, Snowboarding, XC Biking, Climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealistic74 View Post
Constructive feedback:
2) There are ads everywhere.
(use ad-block)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 12:21 AM
Summit Master

hey cdanes, nice of you to drop in again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Thanks for setting this up... Where does one find the listing of trip reports, one can view when looking at one's own profile.Also - I don't see anything showing top 10 pictures; or going back in history 1,2,3,4 & 5 years ... when we could see groups of trip reports posted at that time.K
post #5 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 01:02 AM
Headed for the Mountains

Interest: Hiking, AT Skiing, Snowboarding, XC Biking, Climbing

The 10 minute limit on edits is too short. A full day might be better.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 01:11 AM
Banned

Why is it that viewing a link means you are AUTOMATICALLY subscribed to it?

Last edited by TheShadow; 11-13-2014 at 01:15 AM.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 01:21 AM
Summit Master

Interest: Outdoor stuff...especially scrambling,trailrunning,mountain biking,kayaking,and hiking, and of course photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Why is it that viewing a link means you are AUTOMATICALLY subscribed to it?
Yes, noticed that, my definition of subscribe would mean I decide whether I subscribe to thread or not
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 01:24 AM
RGB
Banned

Good to see that swear words and the like have been replaced with ****. But it's too bad that previous moderators and admins did not crack down on these obvious rule violations.
Although I think that the word **** = d - a - m- n does not deserve the asterisk treatment, as in the recent TR on Damfino Lakes

So I hope that admins and mods will watch out for other negative useless comments, and posts such as thread hijacking, and other rule violations.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 02:07 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: hiking, skiing, camping, SAR, Canadian Rangers (army reserve)

Yikes.. Yes, less ads please!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 02:21 AM
Summit Master

• Remove the limit on edits
  • Remove legacy and out-of-date features (ICQ status?)
  • Disable automatic user signatures. They were abused in the old ClubTread forums long ago and quickly kill the signal to noise ratio.
  • Add redirects from the old URLs to the new ones, Google has completely removed all of the useful content from its index and dropped CT's pagerank as far as I can tell. Maybe they're already in place, can't tell.
  • Add link to trail database in header.
  • Disable auto-subscriptions.
  • Remove "recent posts" from old ASP homepage since it's out of date now.
  • Fix images from migrated content.
  • Allow photos to be uploaded "inline". This is absolutely critical.
  • De-emphasize the "actions" under each post. It kills readability as you scan top to bottom across each post. Rather than big black buttons, consider smaller links or something similiar.
  • The default UTC date times will confuse anonymous visitors, and make most trip reports show up as the wrong date.
  • No way to see a user's trip reports easily.
  • A "garage" feature for a site devoted to self-powered recreation is a bad fit
The 10 minute limit on edits is too short. A full day might be better.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: hiking, cycling, traveling, movies, trying new places to eat

Feedback continued...

Why do I have to click around in advanced search to find a list of my own trip reports? Before, when you went to your profile a list of all your trip reports were right there.

It's creepy seeing who looked at your profile last. It's also weird cause in "general information" under your own profile it will say what you're viewing. For example when I was on my own profile it says "current activity: Viewing User Profile". Then I clicked on Aqua Terra and I can see that me, another Jeff and the Shadown visited his profile page and that Aqua Terra is viewing the thread "Eaton Lake Garbage Dump". Too much info, will make people less likely to wander around the site freely, knowing other people can track them. Man... I just clicked on "who's online" I can see exactly which members are online and exactly what they are doing (which threads they are looking at, one was updating his contact list, it even says that I am looking at who's online)

It's set up automatically to show your birthday unless you change it.

What the heck is referrals? What are subscriptions? What is the "befriend" thing about?

Am I missing where the "edit" button for posts are? Shadowchaser mentioned that there is a limit to edits. No limits to how long it takes to edit.

What does Garage have to do with hiking and the outdoors? Totally out of place here.

Someone mentioned a limit to how long an edit

cdanes> thank you for the ad block tip. Talking of which, that is a nice new feature of this new clubtread. Emails right within the system. Though, it was nice in the old system that once you send a message to another user they get your email address.

Hey Aqua Terra, Jim passed on the reigns of this site to someone in Toronto (philip/Jeff) [noticed your messages mentioning Jim]

Last edited by idealistic74; 11-13-2014 at 03:07 AM.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 03:19 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by idealistic74 View Post
Feedback continued...

It's creepy seeing who looked at your profile last. It's also weird cause in "general information" under your own profile it will say what you're viewing. For example when I was on my own profile it says "current activity: Viewing User Profile". Then I clicked on Aqua Terra and I can see that me, another Jeff and the Shadown visited his profile page and that Aqua Terra is viewing the thread "Eaton Lake Garbage Dump". Too much info, will make people less likely to wander around the site freely, knowing other people can track them. Man... I just clicked on "who's online" I can see exactly which members are online and exactly what they are doing (which threads they are looking at, one was updating his contact list, it even says that I am looking at who's online)
Well that IS creepy. I looked at your profile just to see what you were talking about. Just so you know, I wasn't stalking you. Now I want to log out before looking at anything else.
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 03:20 AM
Summit Master

And I don't understand what this garage thing is.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 03:23 AM
RGB
Banned

Good points ShadowChaser!
post #15 of (permalink) Old 11-13-2014, 03:31 AM
Summit Master

Looks like you can select "invisible mode" in your settings. I'll have to get together with a friend to see if it works.
Closed Thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page