Moderators - Page 8 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

123Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #106 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 03:36 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I've been hesitant to weigh in on this but I figured I might as well wade in.

As far as moderators go, I couldn't care less who ends up as a mod as long as they do the job consistently and don't let personal feelings or ego get in the way. A thick enough skin to take some abuse with out getting hurt feels and an ability not to play favourites.

And for the record, I like Steve (sgRant). I don't find what he posts to be overwhelmingly negative, I think he's somebody who has opinions and isn't afraid to state them and defend them. It's funny to see other people on this board, who I know to be as opinionated as any currently wandering this planet, upset by someone else being opinionated themselves.
It's simple, not interested in reading things posted by Steve put him on your ignore list. Not into debate with people on the internet, then don't get involved in the discussion. Not interested in reading topics involving conservation, don't read them.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Steve as one of the moderators for this site. Heck, make him the moderator of the conservation sub forum and at the very least it's likely to not be so acrimonious.
It seems inexplicable that despite these suggestions being made repeatedly and regularly on CT, certain people just don't take advantage of them and make their lives much less stressful. When things don't make sense, you wonder what's really going on.

The climax campfire scene in "Lord of the Flies" seems like a startlingly accurate depiction of what's really going on. Amazing to see it unfold in 'real' life.
Kill the Pig! Kill the Pig!

Edited to add: If my name comes up as a moderator candidate, I expect some would drop their objection to being able to vote against candidates:-)

Meet you at DYE-II?

Last edited by sgRant; 12-01-2014 at 03:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #107 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 03:38 PM
Summit Master

I suggest the provision of a "Report" button on each post would vastly reduce the workload for moderators. They wouldn't have to read everything, and anything no one objects to would be assumed to meet community standards.

Meet you at DYE-II?
post #108 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgRant View Post
I suggest the provision of a "Report" button on each post would vastly reduce the workload for moderators. They wouldn't have to read everything, and anything no one objects to would be assumed to meet community standards.
There is one on the bottom left of each post, the (!) point.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #109 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
It seems inexplicable that despite these suggestions being made repeatedly and regularly on CT, certain people just don't take advantage of them and make their lives much less stressful. When things don't make sense, you wonder what's really going on.

The climax campfire scene in "Lord of the Flies" seems like a startlingly accurate depiction of what's really going on. Amazing to see it unfold in 'real' life.
Kill the Pig! Kill the Pig!

No chanting around a fire for me and killing a beast, this is more the movie scene that I reference during website conversions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TtGQnyPZ6g

Jeff
post #110 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 03:56 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS Jeff View Post
I just got back from holiday and read 11 pages and THIS ^^^^ is the best idea IMO.

Lets stay on topic and you guys nominate prospects, we will see if they are interested, then we can move forward with rules, sections, etc.

We already have a Moderator User Manual for training and basic boilerplate rules that can be tweaked. I will post it in another tread to view.

Link to Mod User Manual: https://forums.clubtread.com/9-site-f...od-thread.html

Baby steps and we will get this done,

Thanks for the help all,
Jeff
Selection of moderators and what they are tasked with are critical to the appeal, and therefore the traffic level, which in turn is reflected in value to advertisers. So in terms of a commercial venture determination of moderation has to be done very carefully.

Absent or lax moderation may be appropriate and result in the popularity of some sites, such as Survivor Sucks, but that won't work for a hiking forum. Of course over-zealous policing can also harm the appeal of a site. The Truth About Cars went through a period of that before being bought by Visual Scope. TTAC seems nicely moderated to an appropriate degree now, so I trust VS will make the right moves here.
VS Jeff likes this.

Meet you at DYE-II?
post #111 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 03:58 PM
Summit Master

Quote:

Jeff
Ahh. Oops. CT never had one before. Excellent!

Meet you at DYE-II?
post #112 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:

Jeff
Well....your workload just doubled.
post #113 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Ahh. Oops. CT never had one before. Excellent!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Well....your workload just doubled.
LOL - I support around 200 sites or more so I am used to it. I prefer to have a mod team do a lot of the moving around, editing, and thing like that since they have their finger on the pulse of the community more then I.

Thats why we have started discussing a mod team for the site in this tread: https://forums.clubtread.com/9-site-f...oderators.html

Please chime and and nominate with members who you think would be a good fit.

Jeff
post #114 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Banned

I'm OK with "just about" anybody....a good mod will add to the experience, a bad one will drive people away.

It's a crap shoot....
post #115 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
LOL -

Thats why we have started discussing a mod team for the site in this tread: https://forums.clubtread.com/9-site-f...oderators.html

Jeff
Isn't that a link to this exact same thread?
post #116 of (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 09:40 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
I just got back from holiday ...

...Lets stay on topic and you guys nominate prospects, we will see if they are interested, then we can move forward with rules, sections, etc.

Jeff
Hope holidays were great, I was wondering why this thread had gone so far without admin input.

Now that you're back, (hopefully) refreshed and ready to tackle the semi-defined problem: Would the platform support a temporary wiki page for the nomination process? A wiki can be so much easier to follow than endless separate posts in a thread. Add a name, add a comment to a controversial name, say you would gratefully accept (or "I'd rather **** with *** in a *****" if applicable)
VS Jeff likes this.
post #117 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 01:58 AM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Terra View Post
ever notice when certain people don't go on the board for a week or so, the board just levels off and self moderates or just runs quite well without any babysitters or people having to get ugly.

Maybe some people are scared to say it in public or are unsure, but its quite obvious that steves account should just be closed and anyone who want to act in a similar manner gets stroked after 3 strikes, done.

Lets get the new CT on the right foot right away, so newcomers (and dropped out past members) can feel invited and contribute in a positive fun and informative manner like we used to .I know numerous attempts have been made to help steve interact better on CT and its not helped at all. Do everyone a favour and axe the account. THANKS
People who should not be considered for moderators:

1.those suggesting that others should be banned
2. anyone who thinks a "three strikes and your out" rule is a good idea
3. people, who for inexplicable reasons think the moderator position should be "paid". Although ,there may be room in the budget somewhere as i'm sure this site makes hundreds of dollars per year.
post #118 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 02:11 AM
Scaling New Heights

Oh, I meant to add my vote. Westcoastpaddler; seems to visit here regularly. If that is the gentleman who owns the West Coast Paddler site then he gets my vote. Probably not interested though. Any moderator should be open to asking for an opinion opinion if he doesn't mind though.
post #119 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelo
Is there general agreement to that process? I would be willing to take it on and get things started, if that works with everyone. (I'm cool if not - just interested in getting the ball rolling.)
I offer this google doc to be used for nominations:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/16Mm...clzIc/viewform
It allows anonymous responses, as many responses as people care to submit, the ability to edit your own response, and the ability to see what else has been going on. I can remove that feature, but I think it would be good for transparency in this stage.
If this seems generally good to people, I could post it as its own new thread, we can spread it across the board, and we can take in nominations. I would suggest the poll closes at the end of next weekend? Sunday night, and then take up to the workweek for me to check in with nominees and allow people to accept or decline before we post the voting.
We could also take that week to get a clear picture of what precisely a moderator's duties and powers will be.
Thoughts?
I just got back from holiday and read 11 pages and THIS ^^^^ is the best idea IMO.

Lets stay on topic and you guys nominate prospects, we will see if they are interested, then we can move forward with rules, sections, etc.

We already have a Moderator User Manual for training and basic boilerplate rules that can be tweaked. I will post it in another tread to view.

Link to Mod User Manual: https://forums.clubtread.com/9-site-f...od-thread.html

Baby steps and we will get this done,

Thanks for the help all,
Jeff
If that is the process you think would work well, could you make it official? I do think it would help us to have somewhere else to put the nominations, as this thread is a cluttered mess as some people have mentioned. I am still willing to get this step on the go via the mentioned google doc if that is desired, but several people would like to see it management-directed, so we could use a solid statement as to the process to be followed from you.
post #120 of (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: hiking, backpacking, scrambling, climbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexcanuck View Post
Hope holidays were great, I was wondering why this thread had gone so far without admin input.
Now that you're back, (hopefully) refreshed and ready to tackle the semi-defined problem: Would the platform support a temporary wiki page for the nomination process? A wiki can be so much easier to follow than endless separate posts in a thread. Add a name, add a comment to a controversial name, say you would gratefully accept (or "I'd rather **** with *** in a *****" if applicable)
I definitely think we need something more than separate posts, but I don't think a wiki would be best. I think the nomination process should be separate from the voting process. People should be free to nominate whoever they want, and let all the names be compiled. Once they have been, those who wish to decline can do so privately, and once we start the voting, people can comment on controversial selections, rather than glutting up the nomination process with those two matters.
I think something simple where people may just anonymously offer names (their own or others) would be best. I've offered a google survey that would make it simple, but there are certainly lots of other possibilities.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page