ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Upper Coquitlam Watershed/Say Nuth Khaw Yum Provincial Park Trip Report/Cool Video

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2021, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Ethan.Moore
Hittin' the Trails

Default Upper Coquitlam Watershed/Say Nuth Khaw Yum Provincial Park Trip Report/Cool Video

Hey Folks!

I work for the Coquitlam River Watershed Roundtable.

Recently I hike up to Mount Beautiful, its this really incredible summit in Coquitlam BC. However, with that said it is only recommended for experienced hikers (as mentioned in the video) As the traverse is really long. Got about 28km on my Garmin, however all trails list it as way shorter. In early 2021 the trail down to Swan Falls way closed due to a massive rockslide. This doesn't make the summit inaccessible as you can hike from the Buntzen Lake Parking Lot and back. The trail down to Swan falls was not blocked however, if you're going to do it you can only do the hike right now from South to North, and descending down off the ridge from Swan Falls is quite hazardous as it is extremely steep. That being said if you understand what to do and pay attention you'll probably be fine. Go at your own risk; I'm not recommending it at this time, maybe try again next year, or don't.

None the less people go missing in these mountains, so be careful. Use common senses and take the proper procedures if attempting. If your thinking about going in the winter, make sure you have the proper gear. If you're thinking about going in the summer make sure you have an actual GPS (not just your phone) .

Below is the video I produced for the Coquitlam River Watershed Roundtable. Had a lot of fun doing it and learnt a lot of history talking about the area with members of the Squamish and Tsleil-Waututh Nation!

Last edited by Ethan.Moore; 10-14-2021 at 01:11 AM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome