ClubTread Community - View Single Post - AB Cen = Alberta Rockies Central (Banff & David Thompson) Pulsatilla and Badger Passes

Thread: AB Cen = Alberta Rockies Central (Banff & David Thompson) Pulsatilla and Badger Passes
View Single Post
post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2021, 09:58 PM
JHam
Hittin' the Trails

Yes what they called South Bonnet is what I called Southwest outlier. They had full gear and had a bit more liberty to explore the glacier, using it when they felt it was necessary.

Picture 1 is a view south coming down from Bonnet Col towards Badger Pass (high centre w/ some snow cornice still). I deduce that Avens was down at the knoll in the centre L and then perhaps went upwards to a southern ridge that come off the South summit/SW Outlier?

Picture 2 shows the south face of the main Bonnet summit from the SW ridge. I wonder if there will be an arch there in say 10 000 years after some more erosion?

The cairn on top of the SW outlier/South Bonnet Peak is monumental, but not important enough for a register I guess. I agree route is straightforward (YDS 1-2 w/ minimal exposure).

I did do another loop on the same backpacking trip a couple days later from Red Deer Lakes up past the natural bridge, south along the Lynchis glacier, over the Lynchis col, down past Heart Lake and then back to Red Deer Lakes, but that is another story. The trail soon fades out south past the natural bridge so it was a bush bash until treeline, but upon retrospect some ways will be easier up that valley compared to others...

Certainly wish I had the visibility Avens had...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1531 copy.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	289098  

Name:	IMG_4020 copy.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	289100  

Name:	IMG_4030 copy.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	289102  

Last edited by JHam; 10-03-2021 at 10:15 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome