ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Corona virus

Thread: Corona virus
View Single Post
post #21 of (permalink) Old 01-27-2021, 09:36 PM
zeljkok
Summit Master

From a slightly different perspective:

Last yr about this time I was at Angkor Wat, Cambodia. Just when Covid news started to come out, flights were getting cancelled etc. So today for anniversary of my visit I looked up a bit on Internet, what happened there. Cambodian government imposed strict restrictions last summer; if you wanted to visit, you needed 3000 USD deposit on landing, negative tests, etc etc. Needless to say, Angkor got deserted and locals are the only visitors roaming these magnificent ruins.

You might say, travel is lesser problem when people are dying, but things are not so simple. Problem is that large amounts of locals depend on global tourism for survival; I had a chance to meet and talk to some of them. These are good people & now what? Same in countries like Nepal; no ICUs and tons of Covid cases, and no income of any sort because trekkers are gone. Someone I know emailed the other day "If I don't die of Covid, I will die of hunger". This is not Canada with CERB and all kinds of government support. So these that complain about being inconvenienced for having to wear masks -- or having to search for loopholes in order to go partying for spring break, really should know things are much much worse elsewhere.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome