ClubTread Community - View Single Post - S2S = Sea to Sky Petgill Lake - May 26th, 2019

Thread: S2S = Sea to Sky Petgill Lake - May 26th, 2019
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-31-2020, 04:25 PM
zeljkok
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcoffin View Post
Nick and I went and tried a winter ascent of Goat Ridge yesterday. We made it to 1400 meters before we inevitably turned around due to waste deep powder. Snowline started at 600 meters, and by 800 meters there was solid 2 feet deep snow. Trying to navigate the 40 degree slopes from 1100 to 1300 meters was brutal in the waste deep snow and once we finally made it on the ridge we saw the storm coming in and turned around.

This is report of recent snowshoe trip up Goat Ridge, all the way to the end. With such a short amount of daylight and steep snow, very high level of stamina is required for winter trip but obviously not impossible. Winter wonderland up there seems quite special.

I still stand by my initial assessment that best way to experience Goat Ridge is summer backpack, with camp by one of these lakes as you break into the alpine. Then that vast beautiful terrain can be explored (and photographed) in leisure with day pack only.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome