ClubTread Community - View Single Post - 11 years later....

View Single Post
post #51 of (permalink) Old 09-25-2020, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
John and Katie
High on the Mountain Top

It's crazy how quickly one can go from a strong, confident and vibrant little girl to a fragile state. It's like she aged 4 years in a blink of an eye.
Katie has suddenly come down with Vestibular Disease. Wednesday afternoon walk and she was her typical self. About 2 hours later my mom texts me that there was something wrong with Katie. I went over and it was evident that she needed to see a vet asap. Stumbling, falling over, wobbly head, and confused.
Thinking she may have ingested something on that afternoon walk, they flushed her system, tested her blood and put her on iv fluids. They couldn't get a urine sample. Nothing indicated toxins so far. She would stay the night on iv and they would try again for a urine sample.
Picked her up yesterday morning and no change, but she now had a head tilt to one side and her eyes were flickering from side to side. They suggested that it could be Vestibular Disease and to take her to her regular vet asap for further care.
Her vet feels certain it is a mild case of Vestibular and she should be noticeably better in 4-5 days. Apparently they are not sure what causes it, but can be common in older dogs.
Anyway, I went to take her for a short walk around the block this morning and she didn't want to go. So we just walked around the back yard and there is a noticeable improvement over yesterday. She went up and down the stairs (3 tiers) off the deck unassisted and slowly walked around the yard on her own as well. Still unstable, but today she wasn't falling over. Eyes weren't flickering anymore, but still has the head tilt. Vet said that may be permanent. She is still quite confused as to what is going on and is not her vibrant self. Holding out hope that each day sees improvement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200914_125508.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	1.36 MB
ID:	281210  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200911_190526.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	281212  

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome