ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Downton Creek FSR open?

View Single Post
post #25 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2020, 03:12 PM
chrish
Hittin' the Trails

We were in there for the August long weekend to climb Linus etc. The road to Branch 2 was mostly 2wd. Branch 2 itself seemed like 4wd-hc on the way in, but I was surprised to see some people had managed to get their Subaru in there. I imagine they must have had some scraping as the road is deeply grooved in places and there are minor waterbars. The parking for the hike to Holly Lake was pretty rammed, with at least 20 vehicles. We parked a bit further along the road for privacy.

Important note: the driving directions in the Gunn scrambles book are correct. His site coastbackcountry.com has a "correction" indicating a left turn is necessary:

"The directions 'Follow the main road for 5.7km to fork (595044) and go right.' is incorrect and should indicate to to left at that junction."

This is wrong and the book is correct - keep right. In any event, the well-used nature of the road at this point should keep you on the right track.

Surprisingly, there weren't that many people actually scrambling the peaks. There were quite a few tents around Holly Lake. The upper lake (forget its name) was empty. So I guess most people were just day-hiking and camping by the lake.

We climbed up to an obvious notch just climber's left of Schroeder and traversed over to Statimcets. The 4th class ridge between Schroeder and Linus is quite fun if you stick to the ridge crest. There are options to drop down to easy ledges if things get too exposed. Once through the Schroeder-Linus col, the route turns into a slog all the way to Statimcets.

The long granite ridge directly south of Schroeder certainly looks cool. Google Maps shows the western terminus of this ridge as Lost Peak.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome