ClubTread Community - View Single Post - AB Cen = Alberta Rockies Central (Banff & David Thompson) Lipalian to Purple Mound

Thread: AB Cen = Alberta Rockies Central (Banff & David Thompson) Lipalian to Purple Mound
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-21-2020, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
zeljkok
Summit Master

Default Lipalian to Purple Mound

Peakbaggers would call this 2 peak day. I don't care much about summits anymore, but what sticks instead is one of best ridgewalks I've done in quite some time, ending in pristine and simply adorable alpine valley I was not aware existed! All these years I've been rushing into Skoki to see the lakes, but equally beautiful delight was much closer. Although Lipalian Mtn. is now described in A. Kane scrambles guidebook 3rd edition, it is not more than off-trail hike. I took off Temple Road at first ski-out run on right side and walked up to upper terminal of Larch chairlift, then easily trashed up moderately angle talus/boulder slope to alpine glory above. Only non-straightforward spot was on this slope - but I was well aware from Spirko report I needed to angle left to avoid the boulders - worked like a charm. Ridgewalk from Lipalian to Purple Mound (first part of "Pumpkin Traverse") is simply amazing with far reaching 360 views -- don't stop at Lipalian, it's more than worth the effort. But best was yet to come -- from Purple Mound I dropped into "Valley of Dreams" between Unity Peak and Wolverine Ridge I was familiar with from snowshoe trip couple of years ago. Unexpected tarn and larch goodness; almost made me stay overnight without gear. Reason prevailed and I hiked out picking up bits of trail lower down dumping me easily to main Skoki road. Photos tell the story:

Click image for larger version

Name:	larchchairlift.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	879.3 KB
ID:	278096
[Looking back at top of Larch Chairlift. Will take about an hour to get here from Temple road. Mt. Richardson -- personal favorite Skoki scramble just right of center]

Name:	boulderslope.jpg
Size:	877.5 KB
ID:	278098
[Only 'challenge' -- stay left aiming for talus slope upper center left and you will bypass most of the boulders]

Name:	lipaliansummitridge.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	703.0 KB
ID:	278116
[Approaching summit of Mt. Lipalian. Protection Mtn ridge upper left]

Name:	lipalianself1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	745.4 KB
ID:	278118
[Strange creature at Lipalian summit -- how did it get there??]

Name:	lipaliantemple.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	591.5 KB
ID:	278112
[Mt. Temple and Valley Of Ten Peaks from Lipalian Summit]

Name:	lipalianridgepano.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	926.4 KB
ID:	278094
[Looking back from Lipalian summit. Purple Mound is right of center and intervening ridge is simply glorious. Takes ~40-45minutes only]

Name:	purplemound1.jpg
Size:	805.3 KB
ID:	278110
["Painted Landscape" -- becomes obvious where Purple Mound got its name]

Name:	lipaliantarn.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	825.7 KB
ID:	278114
[Unexpected tarn below Mt. Lipalian - would also make for beautiful and solitary overnight spot]

Name:	purplemoundback.jpg
Size:	611.6 KB
ID:	278108
[Looking back to Lipalian from near Purple Mound summit; Mt. Temple center left behind]

Name:	purplemoundcairn.jpg
Size:	823.6 KB
ID:	278106
[Purple Mound Summit Cairn. There was no register, but there was survey marker nearby. Banff - Louise corridor with many well known peaks on horizon]

Name:	purplemoundself.jpg
Size:	558.4 KB
ID:	278104
[It seems strange creature made it from Lipalian to Purple Mound as well!]

Name:	purplepano1.jpg
Size:	753.1 KB
ID:	278102
[Delightful Panorama into Skoki, personal favorite BNP area, from Purple Mound. Unity Peak right of center is moderate (class 3) & it is possible to do "Pumpkin Traverse" on foot by continuing on other side towards Redoubt Lake. I dropped easily towards Wolverine Ridge (center-left), then angled right towards Unity Tarn in "Valley of Dreams"]

Name:	unitytarn1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	832.2 KB
ID:	278100
[Glorious tarn below Unity Peak. Vistas like this is what BNP summer alpine hiking is all about!]

Name:	unitytarn2.jpg
Size:	704.6 KB
ID:	278092
["Unity Tarn" looking back to where I just came from -- Purple Mound left, Lipalian distance right]

This is a stellar trip with huge reward :: effort ratio with only real required skill being comfortable hiking off trail and general sense of direction. ~10.5km (+ 4km Temple Road walk x 2), with ~900m elevation (+300m Temple Road Walk). Took 7 hrs, can be done in less than 6, but why hurry?? Map and Elevation Profile:

Name:  lipalianpurplemoundmap.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  346.0 KB

Name:	lipalianpurplemoundelevation.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	278122

Last edited by zeljkok; 07-21-2020 at 08:52 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome