ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Gear for Cape Scott

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2020, 12:41 AM
zeljkok
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluggo View Post
Thanks. I think I have some old gaiters, are they worthwhile to bring? 32 years of hiking but Iíve never done any coastal hikes...

I think Iíve tried on every pair of hiking shoe/boot in Vancouver. I have small feet, size 7.5, which rules out 3/4 of available models. I also have a narrow heel but wide forefoot, which rules out most womenís shoes. The heel requires a really good fit or itís blister bonanza. I tape up before putting on shoes (lately been experimenting with duct tape) but that has limits. The best hikers I ever had were Nike Boltaro and itís low rise partner lava dome (I wore them in the Annapurna in early 90ís). Second best were some Garmont mid high that they no longer make. I replaced those with some Garmont Vetta and they give me blisters.

I hear you. I have bunion size of small apple on my left foot whole life & it is huge pain with new shoes; took a long time till I found what works (Zamberlan for hiking, Keen for light stuff). There are also shops / businesses that do custom fitting.

Re gaiters: They weight little & take next to no space so I have them always in the pack even if I don't wear them all the time. Re Cape Scott -- think I heard of large muddy sections where they might be handy?

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome