ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Nootka Trail

Thread: Nootka Trail
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2020, 11:44 AM
pdomansky
Off the Beaten Path

Interest: Getting outside in any capacity.

I spoke with Air Nootka last week. They advised to check BC Parks daily regarding the Hesquiat. It is still currently under a full closure, and they aren't flying people out there (yet). They said to reach out again in July to see if there are any changes, but at the moment, Hesquiat is still a no go.

Regarding Nootka, they advised that they are flying people to Louie Lagoon, and picking up roughly 1 KM from Friendly Cove, as they said the First Nations did not want anyone travelling through, so you can still hike the Nootka, but you won't be able to see the church, lighthouse etc in Friendly Cove.

They did sell me on the Tatchu trail, which looks absolutely stunning, and is about ~35KM including a 10KM slog on a logging road. They suggest doing it in 4-6 days. It is quite remote and rugged.
It is primarily on crown land, with a couple of sections crossing through First Nations territory, but they are flying people out to Port Eliza, and picking up at Rugged point.

I would suggest reaching out to Air Nootka, they are a great resource and wealth of information regarding those coastal hikes.

“Real adventure is defined best as a journey from which you may not come back alive, and certainly not as the same person.” - Yvon Chouinard

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome