ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Compass Declination

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2020, 12:12 PM
woodenshoes
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCbear View Post
Thanks for our input woodenshoes. In the picture the compasses were side by side but these two compasses (along with a couple of my school basic compasses) for any north needle inaccuracies. The picture was to illustrate the fact that the Brunton compass bezel is not at zero when declaration is set to zero. I might have been clear on my question as the accuracy of my magnetic needle is not my issue.

I was hoping to get some sort of confirmation, or a knowledgeable explanation why my thought that this Brunton compass is defective was not correct. This is the first time I have ever seen a compass' magnetic needle, and its "shed", not aligned with the direction of travel arrow when the bezel is set to 0 degrees. Any thought on this specific concern?

this from a manual "Your Brunton TruArc Compass features tool-free declination adjustment. To adjust, place your thumb
in the center of the liquid filled vial, then pinch the vial with your fore-finger on the bottom through
opening in the center of the vial base. Hold the rotating dial above still with your other hand, and then twist the
liquid filled vial within the outer dial (fig 1). Adjust to the appropriate declination setting according to your
location using the red hash mark at the tail of your magnetized needle. When complete, the compass will
automatically compensate for declination"

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome