ClubTread Community - View Single Post - River of Golden Dreams Canoe-Whistler

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-12-2020, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
martin
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking
Default River of Golden Dreams Canoe-Whistler

This was a spur of the moment trip on Sunday, I had the canoe on the car and we were staying in Whistler, so Maciej suggested we check out the River of Golden Dreams. Asia volunteered to do the car shuttle so after some quick googling off we went. My quick research said that people go down this thing in floaties, canoes, kayaks, but I also saw some pictures of capsized canoes, so I was a bit concerned. So we didn't bring anything that couldn't survive a dunking on the water.
We put in at Carleton Way which offered a spot to unload right next to Alta Lake. A quick paddle across the windy lake and we found a passage through the lily pads at the end of the lake.
Paddling across Alta Lake with a view of Rainbow Mtn.'s east ridge in the background:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_3709.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	283.5 KB
ID:	276722

Lilypads at the end of the lake:

Name:	Img_3711.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	276724

The current was pretty gentle. The houses and apartments near the end of the lake all had lots of small watercraft, probably small businesses running tours down the river. After a short cruise down the start of the river, we rounded a corner and had to get out to lift the canoe across a small log. We then went under a pedestrian bridge, around a few more corners and came across a small dam that required us to carry the canoe around.
Small dam:

Name:	Img_3712.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	615.3 KB
ID:	276726

Another log right after 1st portage:

Name:	Img_3717.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	498.4 KB
ID:	276728

After this the river follows the railway for a bit, then Twentyone Mile Creek comes roaring in from the left, making things a bit spicy. The current is now 3x what it was before. After bridge underpass #2 there is another portage section, but we decided to take our chances and keep going in the river. Lots of fast corners and quick decisions on which side of a log to go over, and a few brushes through the bush if a turn in the river was taken too wide. No pictures from this section. Soon after things calmed down a bit and I was able to take the phone out and grab a few pictures.

Calmer waters:

Name:	Img_3723.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	276730

Sticking our heads above the shrubs at a pull out spot, some golfers teeing off in the center of the pic and Whistler Mtn. in the background:

Name:	Img_3725.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	276732

Nearing the end of the trip, I called Asia to come and pick us up. Prior to leaving I had scoped out what looked like a good park to pull out at on Google street view. Looks friendly enough on street view:

Name:	TakeOutstreetview.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	276740

But as we paddled up to the spot, all that was there was big construction site, no place to pull out of the water, and fencing all over the place.

Name:	Img_3737.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	348.9 KB
ID:	276736

So back on the phone and arranged to get picked up near the seaplane dock. We paddled over to there and found a spot to take out next to the bike path. We walked the canoe 200m to the cul de sac next to a golf course where we could load it on the car.

Whistler North side from Green Lake:

Name:	Img_3732.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	289.3 KB
ID:	276734

Multi-use path:

Name:	Img_3741.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	494.6 KB
ID:	276738

Bonus picture of Mt. Currie:

Name:	Dsc05833.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	183.2 KB
ID:	276742

We didn't see many people at all, just a mother and daughter on a paddle board at the start and a couple of kayakers at the end. This was a very fun way to spend a couple of hours, highly recommended!

Last edited by martin; 06-12-2020 at 07:24 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome