ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Rockies trip inquiry

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2020, 12:41 AM
zeljkok
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ni Jin View Post
Hi Zeljkok,

I'll probably stay one day in Banff instead of 3 days based on the current conditions. My plan was to get some of those higher peaks ( that can be scrambled without climbing gear)- Mt Temple has been on my list for a while. But it sounds this is not a good time. Plan now perhaps Jun 15 or 16 in Banff & do the Windtower as you recommended or Rundle. Yes agreed safety is #1 . so won't go lake Louise. Just something high enough & with great views(&not too easy).
My daughter & I are driving to Ontario (where she starts her residency program) & stopping by Banff. I thought Mt Temple would a perfect place to celebrate her new milestone:-)

Mt. Temple is not in shape till August in normal years, and this year has been anything but normal. Come back 2nd half of August and I'll take you up. Re Banff -- I saw Rundle this evening, tons of snow all the way to valley bottom. That ain't going to melt till July. So slim pickings for "high enough with great views and not too easy".

You have two options: If you absolutely want to climb a peak, then north side of Bow Valley in Canmore is good now. Lady Macdonald, Grotto or further east Gap Peak, Loder / Dorjamb etc. Second is to just go for a hike. Minnewanka is beautiful and still won't require groups of 6. Hike the lakeshore then get up Aylmer Lookout; this should be dry, and what's wrong with this scenery?

Watch out for Split Lip while in Banff area; he's roaming around and word is he is very hungry

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome