ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Horseshoe Bay to Lions Bay New Contour Trail

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-17-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
oldmatt
Headed for the Mountains

Default Horseshoe Bay to Lions Bay New Contour Trail

Hi all,
I've been working on a project to add onto the trail I built a few years ago, https://forums.clubtread.com/8-briti...set-trail.html
I have been able to find a way through the Montizambert, Charles and Newman creek gorges and link up with the Erin Moore trail from Lions Bay. I tried to keep at the 500m level, but had to descend a bit in the creeks.
The route was flagged and cleared, but the wildlife keeps chewing the tapes so that some areas are not well marked. Getting lost is still pretty easy right now.
Six of us and a dog completed the trail last Sunday Nov 10/19 for the first time. We started at the Lions Bay side just after dawn (old Unnecessary Trialhead), went south on the Erin Moore for 1-1/2 hrs (3.5 km), then walked the new route for 7 hrs (10km), and descended the Baden Powell for the last hour (3km), getting out at dusk.

I've called the trail the Mountain Abyss Traverse, as there is a fantastic drop-off that the trail crosses on the south side climb out of Newman Creek. It is an old 300m rockfall scar that can be seen on GE. The route, although difficult and hard to get to, goes through numerous micro-climate/vegetation areas, passes over and under cliffs, waterfalls, and lookouts.

Enjoy, but note: NOT easy, NO easy escape routes (I have not flagged my access routes well), one leg will get MUCH more tired than the other, NOT marked as well as other well established trails, and it will feel longer and harder than you think.

I have a kml file to attach, but don't know how to do that on here. I will also work on putting in proper markers over the next while.

Oldmatt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mountain Abyss Traverse Trail.png
Views:	1141
Size:	1.35 MB
ID:	272344  

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome