ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Memorial Lakes

Thread: Memorial Lakes
View Single Post
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2019, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Mr Conservation
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Scuba Diving, Hiking, Camping
Angry Memorial Lakes - Foiled Again

Well we (daughter, son-in-law and I) made the attempt last weekend (July 27th). Weather forecast for the day was good, but it the mountains the weather can change quickly.

On the way up, we encountered heavy rain showers, and thunder / lightning. We had to shelter for awhile due to the lightning.

We were past the steep part, and came to a creek crossing. After some deliberation, my daughter decided she could not make the crossing, and as it was getting late, we decided to turn back.
We had also met a group who were on their way down, who said the weather was socked in after the first lake, and they had turned back as well.

On the way back to the trail head, we came across a large fresh pile of bear poop in the middle of the trail, and the rains hit again, almost soaking us again before we got to the car.

It was disappointing, but I believe we made the right choice. My daughter was mildly hypothermic, after getting soaked due to the rain and wet brush. Although we had a few hours of daylight left, the weather report by the other group was the clincher, and we headed back down the trail. A hot pot of chili, and hot tea awaited us when we got back to camp.

I guess I will have to wait another year, before I give it another go.

Mr Conservation

Long Time Conservationist

Last edited by Mr Conservation; 08-04-2019 at 10:13 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome