ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Random camping?

Thread: Random camping?
View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2019, 02:58 PM
esmeadows
Scaling New Heights

>> Oh, sorry Scott I did miss to see your post about Wilmore Wilderness Park. I have read that there is paved roads
>> to Grand Cache, and that we can access the park on foot from there. Did you go there?

It's best to enter on foot from Rock Lake Provincial Park: https://www.albertaparks.ca/parks/central/rock-lake-pp/

The gravel road to Rock Lake is in good condition and is fine for any kind of vehicle. You can camp at the trailhead at the Provincial Park or stay at the lodge if you wish.

>> Do you mean Wapiabi provincial recreation area?[/QUOTE]

No, I mean the Blackstone/Wapiabi PLUZ that is adjacent to the recreation area: https://goo.gl/2yG4TX

Access via the Blackstone Gap provides quicker access the more trails, but requires a high clearance vehicle to access the trailhead. The trailhead near Wapiabi Gap can be reached by any vehicle, but requires a longer hiking approach.

You can random camp anywhere in the PLUZ, but you may wish to use an outfitter camp along Wapiabi Creek, of which there are many. Outside of hunting season, few of their camps will be occupied, maybe none at all. If you were interested in horse-assisted options, I have used Chungo Creek outfitters before and found them to be extremely accommodating.

When were you thinking of going?

Scott

Horsepacking through Wapiabi Gap
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0007.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	693.7 KB
ID:	265250

Vimy Patrol Cabin
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0015.jpg
Views:	135