ClubTread Community - View Single Post - Advice wanted: replacement for Osprey Atmos 50 pack

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
lostfound
Hittin' the Trails

Default Advice wanted: replacement for Osprey Atmos 50 pack

I have a 2011 Osprey Atmos 50 which is reaching the end of it's life and will need to be replaced in a year or less. I don't like what Osprey has done to the Atmos line after the 2014 redesign (specifically, removal of the dual side-by-side pockets on the front and addition of a sleeping bag compartment). I am watching for a used 2011 or 2014 Osprey Atmos 50 to come up on Craigslist, MEC Gear Swap or similar sites. However, it is highly likely that I will be forced to replace my pack before I find an older model Atmos. So can anyone suggest a modern pack that satisfies the following criteria (basically is an older model Atmos):
  • 50-55 litres
  • comfortably handles 40 pounds of gear
  • one or two outside pockets to isolate tent and rain wear that might be wet from the rest of the gear in the main bag
  • can fit a Bearikade Weekender bear can horizontally in main bag
  • hipbelt pockets
  • at least one side stretch pocket that can fit a ~800mL water bottle
  • floating top pocket
  • reasonably light
  • ice axe attachment point
  • streamlined outside so straps and pockets don't get hung up when bushwacking
Things I don't find important at all:
  • top pocket that converts to a bum bag (can never hold enough for long day trips away from camp)
  • sleeping bag compartment (zipper is a point of failure for main bag and can leak when bag is set on wet ground, is really only good for sleeping bags and not multiple items so not a replacement for external pockets)
  • waterproof (nothing is waterproof for long so you need pack liners or waterproof stuff sacks - cheaper to replace - anyways)
  • hydration pocket / sleeve (I don't use a water bladder)
Thanks for your suggestions!

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome