ClubTread Community - View Single Post - AB Cen = Alberta Rockies Central (Banff & David Thompson) Aylmer Viewpoints

Thread: AB Cen = Alberta Rockies Central (Banff & David Thompson) Aylmer Viewpoints
View Single Post
post #21 of (permalink) Old 11-09-2018, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
zeljkok
Summit Master

Nov 8, 2018

I really like hiking by lake Minnewanka & having trailhead less than 1/2 hour drive I come here often. Beauty of the day, dusting of snow & just so calm and clean. Leisurely walked to LM8 junction and had lunch at little rise on Aylmer Pass trail enjoying beautiful views and silence. Debated continuing to lookout (boot prints in snow), but decided to follow lakeshore trail instead -- never went past LM8 junction. Went to Aylmer Canyon (LM9). LM8 - LM9 distance felt >1km one would expect, and indeed after getting back it is 1.5km (LM8 = 7.8km, LM9 = 9.3km). This part is very beautiful through impressive forest and then crosses large drainage coming off Aylmer. LM9 camp is very nice, smaller but prettier than LM8. Spent about an hour here just enjoying the beach and playing skids waiting for sunset.

Photos:

Click image for larger version

Name:	minniepanonov18.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	264192
[Pano from tourist area at the start, very beautiful]

Name:	trailside.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	735.6 KB
ID:	264196
[Views across the lake ~3km]

Name:	lm8rise.jpg
Size:	747.0 KB
ID:	264184
[View towards eastern half of the lake from little rise above LM8 junction]

Name:	lm9camp.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	729.8 KB
ID:	264186
[LM9 campground]

Name:	lm9townsend.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	762.1 KB
ID:	264190
[View east from the beach below LM9]

Name:	lm9map.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	769.2 KB
ID:	264198
[Google map - trying to figure the name of peak with "X" -- I thought it was Townsend but it is not, Townsend is further back. I think it is unnamed; correct me please if I am mistaken]

Name:	townsend.jpg
Size:	757.8 KB
ID:	264194
[Closer look at "Unknown" peak -- east side of Carrot Creek]

Name:	lm9sunset.jpg
Size:	626.6 KB
ID:	264188
[Beautiful and peaceful sunset from LM9 beach]

Minnewanka really speaks to me but although I visited east end from Ghost side I never hiked entire length of the lake. Next spring I will probably do that, it is just 21km to Narrows & perfect base for 2 nights to fully explore the area.

Edit: Found out the name of "Unknown". It is -- surprise, surprise -- Carrot Peak (thanks PhilR). There is good report online here. Approach is not from Minnewanka side, but from the south via South Ghost River (nicely visible on Google Map snapshot above).

Last edited by zeljkok; 11-10-2018 at 01:18 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome