ClubTread Community - View Single Post - AB Cen = Alberta Rockies Central (Banff & David Thompson) Red Deer River - Douglas/McBride Valley

Thread: AB Cen = Alberta Rockies Central (Banff & David Thompson) Red Deer River - Douglas/McBride Valley
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
zeljkok
Summit Master

Default Red Deer River - Douglas/McBride Valley

This was 2 night, 3 day Skoki backpack into Red Deer Lakes. First night was spent at Baker Lake and after moving camp on day 2 via delightful Cottongrass Meadows below Oyster Mtn, I had full afternoon to explore this wonderful area I have not visited before. Smoke that obscured Rockies for most of the summer lifted (albeit briefly) and allowed awesome conditions. Well known back-country trail connects Pipestone and Red Deer River valleys; after exploring brief part of it, I ventured into beautiful alpine valley between Mt. Douglas and Oyster Peak -- easily the highlight of '18 summer hiking season. Initial part to Natural Bridge is reasonably well known; what was not expected was well defined trail that continues into upper valley; I suspect this is normal climber access for Douglas/St. Bride. I touched just a bit of it and wished I planned my logistics a bit differently -- next time. Picture(s) are worth a 1000 words:

Click image for larger version

Name:	reddeerflats1.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	806.7 KB
ID:	262654
[Crossing Red Deer River flats past the campground. Oyster Peak upper right; snowy cone of Mt. Douglas center]

Name:	pipestonemtn.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	882.0 KB
ID:	262656
[Pipestone Mountain]

Name:	cyclone1.jpg
Size:	782.7 KB
ID:	262658
[Cyclone Ranger cabin. These guys know how to live. Had dinner on this porch. Douglas/St. Bride distance right]

Name:	douglas1.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	737.0 KB
ID:	262670
[Closer look at Douglas Mountain. You can clearly see series of crumbling rock-bands in middle part -- the crux. Only online report I could find is here, but this party approached from Baker lake side and this can not be recommended -- even by their own admission]

Name:	naturalbridgesign.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	905.5 KB
ID:	262660
[Signed junction ~2km east from Ranger cabin. Main trail continues straight - go right. There are couple of easy fords (ankle high this time of year) -- I did both with boots on and managed to have my feet dry (gaiters)]

Name:	moss.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	996.0 KB
ID:	262662
[Delightful hiking past the ford of Red Deer River]

Name:	naturalbridge1.jpg
Views:	1194
Size:	839.3 KB
ID:	262664
[Natural Bridge. It is quite awesome and well-worth the visit. Trail continues on the left side; upper valley is 10 minutes away]

Name:	naturalbridgetop.jpg
Size:	873.0 KB
ID:	262666
[Top of natural bridge looking back. Drummond glacier on the horizon. Facebook boys have great report of Mt. Drummond ascent here]

Name:	dbr_valley.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	757.3 KB
ID:	262668
[Upper valley. Well defined (and traveled) trail continues, which is my main reason for belief this valley is used for normal Mt. Douglas / St. Bride approach]

Name:	stbridenotch.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	761.5 KB
ID:	262672
[(In)famous notch on St. Bride that makes ascent technical; I can not find any online report - even on Steven Song site]

Last day I hiked back by looping around Skoki Mountain, and then via Skoki Lakes/Packer Pass. Smoke came back & I have no photos worth sharing. Finally couple of nice photos of Baker Lake from day 1 / morning of day 2:

Name:	baker1.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	596.4 KB
ID:	262676

Name:	baker2.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	839.9 KB
ID:	262674

I will definitely come back to explore further -- main goal is Douglas Lake and Valley of Hidden Lakes; not much online data about this one either. I confirmed with Park Ranger that random camping is allowed by Douglas Lake so this is next summer trip.

Alternate report with more high-res photos here

Last edited by zeljkok; 09-09-2018 at 08:50 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome