ClubTread Community - View Single Post - FV = Fraser Valley Paleface & Meroniuk July 29 2018

Thread: FV = Fraser Valley Paleface & Meroniuk July 29 2018
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-01-2018, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
hikingthecascades
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris S. View Post
That is really cool, you have awesome trip reports of areas I wish I could one day visit. When you plan these trips, do you simply use topographic maps or a GPS to guide you? A lot of these areas you explore have absolutely no trail and you're just doing exploratory hikes. I wish that eventually I have the experience to do the same, so I'm trying to gather as much knowledge as I can. Thanks!

Thanks! A lot of our ideas come from hikes we've already done. We go to the top of a peak or see something along the way and ask "I wonder what's up there?" or, "can we go over there?" or, "what can we see from there?" If it's interesting enough we'll look at maps and Google earth and see what the area is all about. Is it a ridge, how much bushwhacking is involved, what might be hidden in the bushwhack that we have to plan for, what would be the best approach to summit, things like that. Then we might load waypoints into our gps apps to guide us around certain features such as cliffs. It's always a big unknown because any map only has a limited resolution of the terrain. You just can't see every obstacle that might force you to change course. But we have a compass to help us orient and gps to fix our location on a map. Eventually as we get to know the area, what we see in real life as landmarks -a slope here, a boulder field there- starts to mesh with what we only knew on a map. Then we can make informed decisions about the best routes. We're still learning. There are some general principles that we're learning too, about what makes a good route for humans, lol.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome