ClubTread Community - View Single Post - AB Sou = Alberta Rockies South (Waterton & Crow's Nest) Tamarack Trail - July 15/16

Thread: AB Sou = Alberta Rockies South (Waterton & Crow's Nest) Tamarack Trail - July 15/16
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2017, 05:23 PM Thread Starter
SBoom4
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilR View Post
I'd wondered what the trail beside Lone Creek was like - So it was simple hiking from the campsite to Red Rock?

Thanks for the TR, sounds like you had an interesting first day!

Your last photo brings back memories of a trip I did from Rowe Peak to Festubert in September 2015, during a fall wind and snowstorm. It looked nicer down on the trail than on the ridge that day, and I wished there was a way down to it. Now I know what it was like there. Certainly looks like the kind of relaxing trip you would want when the forecast was for a super hot day.

Attachment 217698
in 2015 - Looking along the ridge above the trail.

Attachment 217706
In 2015 - Storm closes in - a certain person classed this as one of his worse 10 trips. I don't know why.

The 15th was a strange day - I was out up the Icefields scrambling Watermelon and Bobac, and we could see the weather front was south of us - we had a touch of cloud and a little bit of wind, but I guess we lucked out with the weather front - we were expecting something like what you got, and I'm certainly glad we didn't get that!
Yeah, there are two options from Lone Lake to Red Rock Canyon. You can either hike 19km around Blakiston and Lone Mountains, or you can hike a super easy 14km along Lone Creek and Blakiston Creek. The last 3 or 4 km are super touristy boardwalks and gravel. The rest is relatively flat, easy trail.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome