Grouse trail vandalism - chainsaw used during fire - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default Grouse trail vandalism - chainsaw used during fire

Hope this is the right forum

Figured I would put these up as this was a pretty disturbing event and needed a call out. About two weeks ago I found some trees had been fallen in the Grouse area in North Van. The forest was tinder dry and some nutjob had used a chainsaw to fall these trees on a trail.

Was going to let this pass till I heard that some nutjob has also been vandalizing hiking signs in West Vancouver and burning biking signs and scattering debris on hiking/biking trails in Fromme.

It's almost impossible to catch someone like this in the act so don't bother. But they do have a (sharp) chainsaw so if you hear this nutter spark up the saw maybe call the cops. I'd certainly not recommend trying to apprehend them as they have a chainsaw and no doubt will be displeased at being discovered.

Finally got back to the trail with a saw. Tried to cut out as much of the fallen trees as possible with the handsaw but the largest tree will need a chainsaw. Also tried to prop up the hiking signpost that had been vandalized and tipped over.

Location undisclosed so as to not give any copycats any smart ideas.

At either end of the social spectrum there lies a leisure class

Instagram: http://instagram.com/sharon_and_lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 11:29 PM
Summit Master

Lee
if its legal to go back and re cut the trees downed in that area, I will offer service and a decent chainsaw and tools to correct the vandalism and re open the trail for use.
PM me for added inquiries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Thanks AT. It's not on land where a permit is required but the forest is still dry. It's best to wait.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Disgusting... why do we have this individuals messingup for everyone else.

K
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 12:15 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LeeL

Thanks AT. It's not on land where a permit is required but the forest is still dry. It's best to wait.
understandable ,please contact us when needed or appropriate for weather conditions.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-18-2014, 09:08 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LeeL

and scattering debris on hiking/biking trails in Fromme.
I think the same nut case is vandalizing a 2 km section of the BP on Hollyburn Ridge that I maintain. Nothing overt, just tossing logs on the trail, somehow thinks it will deter mountain bikers. Just creates more work for me. What an a$$hole.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 06:00 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: keeping our backcountry beautiful.

Do you think it's the same nutjob that has been building diversions (dams) and re diversions on Kilmer Creek for the last ten years.

https://www.clubtread.com/sforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=9563

Pretty incredible that no one has seen or been able to catch this person(s) in the act of building their dams in the middle of a creek even though several trails parallel the creek from top to bottom. Lets face it if the District of North Vancouver doesn't give a rats ass about someone diverting a creek out of its water course over a ten year period, that has eroded several trails and much hillside, I can't see them getting to excited about a few felled trees or some vandalised trail signage.

And do you really think the RCMP are going to deploy resources to chase down someone putting sticks onto a trail or cutting a few trees down? Unfortunately not very likely.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 12:31 AM
Summit Master

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hikerguy

Do you think it's the same nutjob that has been building diversions (dams) and re diversions on Kilmer Creek for the last ten years.

And do you really think the RCMP are going to deploy resources to chase down someone putting sticks onto a trail or cutting a few trees down? Unfortunately not very likely.
Well I would hope said person has got their attention. Too much is going on recently.
Adding it all up what do we have so far?
1. Dangerous snares observed around the Grind and BCMC
2. Creek Diversions
3. BP trail sections vandalized
4. Destruction of North shore MTB trails during high forest fire conditions
5. Burning of Trail signage posts
6. NSR Caches vandalized ( I'm guessing that is where the chain saw came from)

Anybody notice anything else?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:52 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pmicheals

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hikerguy

Well I would hope said person has got their attention. Too much is going on recently.
Adding it all up what do we have so far?
1. Dangerous snares observed around the Grind and BCMC
2. Creek Diversions
3. BP trail sections vandalized
4. Destruction of North shore MTB trails during high forest fire conditions
5. Burning of Trail signage posts
6. NSR Caches vandalized ( I'm guessing that is where the chain saw came from)

Anybody notice anything else?

A column inch in the Vancouver Sun newspaper a couple days ago about signage in Cypress Provincial Park vandalized. The sign was about cooperation between hikers and mountain bikers restoring and building trails in the park.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 01:24 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Stoked
A column inch in the Vancouver Sun newspaper a couple days ago about signage in Cypress Provincial Park vandalized. The sign was about cooperation between hikers and mountain bikers restoring and building trails in the park.
http://www.nsnews.com/news/signs-mys...rail-1.1314019
post #12 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Scaling New Heights

This stuff will continue as long as there are no meaningful penalties for the perpetrators.

Like the Maple wood poachers on Burnaby Mountain or the hobo camps in Stanley Park, these eco-vandals should fall under the RAPP (Report a Poacher or Pollutor) hotline operated by the BCWF (1-877-952-RAPP). This program allows for direct involvement in the protection of your environment. Is there a Wilderness Watch Program in place in these areas yet? I may contact the Provincial Co-ordinator, Paul McLean at 250-499-0999 to enquire.

We may not return to the rough justice of Judge Begbie but maybe a difference can be made. All this stuff starts locally. Personally, I'll always approach and try to engage any suspicious people looking out of place in the wilderness. Then hang 'em
post #13 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Note that the perp isn't distinguishing between user groups but is making an even-handed attempt to sabotage all trails
post #14 of (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 11:53 PM
Headed for the Mountains

I'd say it's likely not just one person, but maybe a small group or groups with a similar agenda. Too much work for one person, but one person would be more focused. Nothing to say that the stolen chainsaw is the one being used, there must be thousands of saws in the lower mainland.

Also, if it was me and I DID have an organized anti-trail agenda, I would likely be a member here to both survey the damage and plan my actions to avoid attention. Just sayin'.....[:0]
post #15 of (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 12:03 AM
Summit Master

possible and plausible, maybe related to the haynes valley stash SAR break in? group?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page