Spruce Lake - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, fishing and travelling.
Send a message via MSN to hikeinBC
Default Spruce Lake

Does anybody whent the snow receeds from Spruce Lake in the South Chilcotins.... I was hoping to do a trip in early June....

----------------------------------------
I left all my clarity soaring somewhere over windy pass
http://community.webshots.com/user/harnass

"Something profound" - someone profound
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 01:16 PM
Dru
Super Moderator

Interest: climbing and spraying

The snow recedes and the bugs come out... June will have a little bit of patchy snow and a lot of bugs!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2005, 01:18 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Seriously active hiker/ mountaineer/ canyoneer

On the other hand, the avalanche lilies are out in the Taylor Basin/Pearson Creek areas. Highly worthwhile!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 04:36 AM

I'd agree with that estimate roughly, but how weather unfolds between now and then (and what the current snowpack is) will have a huge role in what conditions are like throughout June. Also, it depends on which route you plan on taking. You may want to watch for trip reports, someone will surely be in there early in the spring. To my knowledge, there's 3 approaches, and on one of them you will encounter much higher elevations than the other two. Spruce Lake itself is at around 1580m elevation. The 3 approaches:
1) Gun Creek - gradually gains elevation from 1200m until reaching the lake
2) Tyaughton Creek - rollercoasters up/down somewhat as you traverse above the creek, but stays close to 1500m most of the way to the lake
3) Taylor Creek - probably the most scenic, it has more elevation gains / losses, and two significant passes that will likely still contain snow in June. The first is around 2000m (north of Harris Ridge), the next is a further along closer to the lake (se of it), which gets up to 2200 m. This last ridge was the only area that had snow in the fall (it was about knee deep)

I spliced together the two goverment-issue maps for the region (92O02 and 92J15), and attached it for you to peruse. Note the trails as indicated on the maps are inaccurate in some areas.... the colors that I highlighted for Taylor Creek / Tyaughton Creek (I did a circuit) are from my GPS track, so they are accurate.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, fishing and travelling.
Send a message via MSN to hikeinBC

I've done the gun creek trail up to Windy pass, across to Tyax and then to SPruce and back out Gun creek but it was in August.... I wanted to go May long up gun creek to Spruce and just chill out at the lake and do some fishing. I talked to Tyax resort though and they said there'd still be snow there.

----------------------------------------
I left all my clarity soaring somewhere over windy pass
http://community.webshots.com/user/harnass
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2005, 02:38 PM

The entire Tyaughton Creek trail is in fine shape. You may have been confused at the junction between the Spruce Lake trail and the Tyaughton Creek trail - I was. It took me a few minutes of scratching my head and rambling around on the Spruce Lake side of the creek before figuring out you need to cross over to the north side of Tyaughton creek (not a huge ford, but my feet got wet!). Then the trail ascends up the hill as it heads east. Pretty nice views on that section ... about half above and half below the treeline as you rollercoaster.

The trailhead would be easy to find at the east end of the trail. As you're coming up the road (in brown on the topo map) from the south, it starts going west (above Tyaughton Creek), then you see it do a 180 horseshoe turn (at 514714E / 5656228 N) at the juncture of the dotted line on the map. That dotted line is actually a road that you can drive for a while. You take it west, just about .5 km. The trailhead is just where the road turns left and crosses Tyaughton Creek over a bridge (at 514384 E / 5656007 N) You'd park right there, and the trail starts just on the north side of the road. I don't remember a sign there, but the trail is very well defined (just a few meters up a loose rock slope above the road).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page