1Likes
  • 1 Post By Blue_bird

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2021, 06:13 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking and Climbing
Default Winter climb Crown mountain

Hi,
Crown Mountain looks beautiful this time of year. I've climbed in the summer before (heat wave 38C, managed to get heat exhaustion, still summited). I recall there are a few exposed sections (between the junction of Haynes valley and crown mnt trail a 100 foot drop to right of the trail) and a semi exposed section nearthe slabs while approaching the summit. Is there significant fall and avalanche risk that anyone has heard of or encountered? Has anyone attempted it in the dead of winter? I see goat mountain is fairly popular in the winter, perhaps that could be another objective instead of Crown.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2022, 06:20 PM
Hittin' the Trails

I foolishly attempted this years ago on snowshoes before having enough avalanche training and experience. Thankfully I turned around as I just didn't have the skillset to assess conditions.

Getting down from goat mountain to the col, and then up is doable, but has numerous high risk steep slopes. While there are trees, a small slide could push you into serious terrain traps that would have extreme consequences.

Climbing up crown would have less risk at first, but there are several slab patches that create perfect avalanche conditions as it's a slippery bed surface on a steep angle. High probability. There are several conditions it may be lower risk, ( last January had a week that would have been good) but you would need:

1) Avalanche Safety Training 1 - bare minimum to assess if the conditions are the same as listed in the forecast.
2) Low/Low/Low avalanche forecast
3) Mountaineering course - Ice axes and crampons are counter intuitive to learn how to use, hence why many use them incorrectly ( they tend to be the folks without helments). Most assume this isn't the case until they take a course and learn all the ways it's easy to injure yourself.
4) Lead climbing experience - Might be worth roping up for the avalanche sections to reduce risk of being pulled into terrain trap.

In general it's tricky, but doable if you have the right skills and conditions.
russellcoffin likes this.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-01-2022, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Interest: Hiking and Climbing

Hi, thanks for the reply. I did goat mountain on the weekend beautiful conditions. I agree with you regarding being pushed into dangerous terrain traps and there are plenty of smooth surfaces that are moderate to high risk for avalanches. I need more training to be tackling winter objectives such as Crown Mountain, It's fun in the summer though. Thanks for the heads up

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page