ClubTread Community

ClubTread Community (https://forums.clubtread.com/)
-   British Columbia - Mainland Hiking (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/)
-   -   Pallet Crossing In Roe Creek (https://forums.clubtread.com/8-british-columbia-mainland-hiking/94162-pallet-crossing-roe-creek.html)

hikerguy 12-30-2020 04:40 PM

Pallet Crossing In Roe Creek

3 Attachment(s)
I was recently heading up to Brew Lake and came across this pallet and log crossing in Roe Creek where the old bridge was recently removed from. Kind of looks like a snowmobile crossings you see across water bars in the winter, only a lot bigger. Is this an acceptable practice to dump pallets and logs into streams to create a crossing, and where does this garbage end up in the spring when the creek is running several feet higher and washes it away?

xj6response 12-31-2020 05:49 PM

Likely the pallets were snow machine people or ATV users. True, it's debris and can end up in the creek in spring but like all coastal streams woody debris drops into them constantly.

I sent a an email to the forest service asking who deactivated that road and why was the bridge removed. That is crown land, not private.

hikerguy 01-11-2021 02:35 PM

After making a few enquiries to various government persons this is what I have gleaned regarding this pallet bridge crossing. The information is a bit dry but it goes to the matter that this pallet bridge is not an approved crossing and it shouldn’t be there. I am in no way suggesting that Black Mount Logging has put this crossing in the creek! I very much appreciate the work they do in keeping the roads in good condition for everyone to use; rather it is directed at the individuals(s) that have constructed this mess in the stream without any concern for the consequences of their actions.

1. Black Mount Logging is the holder of the road permit for Roe Creek road.

2. A road permit holder is allowed to maintain the road, construction and remove bridges without providing notice of such work to the government, but they are
required to follow the Forest and Range Practices Act.

3. A road permit holder when doing work around a stream can reference the FOREST SERVICE BRIDGE DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION MANUAL for proper bridge
construction procedures. Section 3.3.3 Environmental Concerns states, “bridges and their associated works must be designed to comply with all established
environmental requirements. The design must include assessment of possible environmental effects due to bridge construction and must limit any adverse
effects to a practical minimum.

4. Under Water Sustainability Act it states, “it is an offence to put or allow debris to spill or fall into a stream or well at any time. Previously it was only an
offence to continue putting debris into a stream or well after being ordered to stop, but since the WSA came into effect on February 29, 2016, you may be
penalized for putting or allowing debris into the water."

5. The penalty for the above infraction it seems is a whopping $403.00.

If anyone has any information as to who the individual(s) were that put this debris into the stream they can make a report to the RAPP line at 1-877-952-7277.

martin 01-16-2021 08:55 PM

I think it was an offence to remove the previous perfectly fine bridge. At the very least they could have made it foot traffic only.

zeljkok 01-16-2021 10:46 PM

Great point martin. Yet another example how just a bit of forward thinking and consideration for different groups goes a long way. Basic sturdy foot bridge, no palets no washed out garbage and everyone would be happy.