4Likes
  • 1 Post By thenadir
  • 2 Post By DWW
  • 1 Post By solo75

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2020, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Looking for 7-10 day route suggestions

Some friends and I are looking to do a long, challenging route in Summer / Fall 2021.

We've done the WCT and the North Coast Trail seems like it's getting a bit popular as well.

Ideally this route would have some kind of "pilgrimage" or destination element to it, including a place where we could take a rest day and spend some time, like a lake or a mountain.

Any suggestions? Ideal if it could be reached from either Vancouver or Calgary within 4 hours drive.
chjasmin likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2020, 12:48 AM
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenadir View Post
Some friends and I are looking to do a long, challenging route in Summer / Fall 2021.

We've done the WCT and the North Coast Trail seems like it's getting a bit popular as well.

Ideally this route would have some kind of "pilgrimage" or destination element to it, including a place where we could take a rest day and spend some time, like a lake or a mountain.

Any suggestions? Ideal if it could be reached from either Vancouver or Calgary within 4 hours drive.
Berg Lake to Kakwa Lake on the Great Divide Trail? Epic trip (not by me) reported on ClubTread in 2018.

Scott Meadows
[email protected]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2021, 11:51 PM
DWW
Hittin' the Trails

Here's some crazy ideas for you...

Start at Cypress, do the HSCT. Head east at Furry Creek, stay at the Mountain Lake hut, hit Sky Pilot. Continue to the Elfin Lakes. Go to Mamquam Lake or Opal Cone. Stay north and continue through Garibaldi lake, taylor meadows and end at Cheakamus lake.
russellcoffin and Jaaklucas like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2021, 07:28 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, kayaking

thenadir,

To help folks suggest something, are you looking for a loop hike? Point to point? If the latter, how much driving distance for a car spot are you willing to take on? Would you do an air charter, then walk out? Do you packraft?
I'm not local, but have viewed the North Boundary Trail hike - Rock Lake to Berg Lake and down to Mt Robson visitors center - on YouTube. It's within your time frame and generally requires some route finding (I gather) as winter storms re-thread stream beds.

HowseTheHike also has a video; he posts on these forums as well.

I will paste in a comment from Joey (MyOwnFrontier) on the trail, which can be found beneath his video. He suggests the North Boundary Trail can be used as a start to other routes as well:
Quote:
The North Boundary trail is a pretty remote trail that doesn't see a whole lot of use. It was more forested than I was expecting, and had a lot of solitude. I loved several of the camps. We only saw 4 different groups of hikers until we got to Mount Robson Provincial Park, which is probably the most crowded trail around the area. We didn't see as much wildlife as I was expecting, but we did see tracks everywhere (wolf, bear, and elk). Several places reminded me a lot of Yellowstone's Thorofare. It had kind of the same feeling. And the wildlife is there, I ran into a bunch on a 2 week solo trip up into the Wilmore Wilderness a few days later, including spooking the same grizzly twice right by our first camp at Willow Creek. All of our creek crossings were easy, but that's not always the case, as those rivers fluctuate all the time. Blue Creek, which we crossed with ease on this trip, was uncross able higher up a few weeks later after storms. Knowing what I know now, I probably won't do the North Boundary Trail again in it's entirety like we did here. Instead I will use it sort of as a highway to access other areas. I'll leave it at that, there's a lot to see in this area, if you can figure it out. Jasper's a big place!
Stuart: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYK...j-OJiuh9LYdBVg
Bryan: https://www.youtube.com/user/bedelay
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2021, 08:55 AM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Multi-day backpacking trip - Mid/late June

Hi there,

We're a group of 3 friends planning a 2 week long hiking trip in BC this summer. As of now we're aiming for the last two weeks of Juneto avoid the crowds but I'm just wondering if the trails will be too snowy. We want to do many day hikes but also and more importantly a 4-5 day trek.

Any suggestions on the best trails for such an experience this early in the season? Or would we be better off delaying the trip by a few weeks?

Cheers,
Chris
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2021, 09:33 AM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by chjasmin View Post
.... but I'm just wondering if the trails will be too snowy.
This is difficult to answer with any degree of certainty until winter is over because it depends on the snowpack. I've seen some years where the subalpine has lots of snow linger into mid to late July and other years where there is little to no snow in June. Maybe you should plan for a low elevation hike somewhere on Vancouver Island.
Jaaklucas likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2021, 08:07 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWW View Post
Here's some crazy ideas for you...

Start at Cypress, do the HSCT. Head east at Furry Creek, stay at the Mountain Lake hut, hit Sky Pilot. Continue to the Elfin Lakes. Go to Mamquam Lake or Opal Cone. Stay north and continue through Garibaldi lake, taylor meadows and end at Cheakamus lake.
That's the dream trip right there. Checkout my report for the first part of the connection and Ian / Chris's report for the Squamish connection.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2021, 09:44 PM
Summit Master

True, but that is not trip for beginners. There is lots of logistics, careful planning and route-finding along with some technical terrain

Interesting though, poster that asked this question now a month ago never came back to check for responses. This is also their only post on the Forum. Why bother?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2021, 05:21 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
True, but that is not trip for beginners. There is lots of logistics, careful planning and route-finding along with some technical terrain

Interesting though, poster that asked this question now a month ago never came back to check for responses. This is also their only post on the Forum. Why bother?
It's definitely a long, challenging route though as they requested! Mostly was just sending that to the person who made the suggestion and I agree its for a few limited people and a huge step up from the WCT.

Some people make similar posts like this on facebook and then never respond back. It's dissapointing.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2021, 08:21 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Hello,

My partner and I would like to plan a trip for this July and are curious for any ideas in BC that would be about 5-7 days in length and include a decent amount of off-trail cross country travel. We are hoping for something epic, but nothing crazy. We can handle a decent bushwhack but would still like to make it out alive. Solitude and a lack of other people is very important to us as well. We'll also have a dog with us.

We recently moved to Washington from Alaska and are craving the isolation and adventure of our Brooks Range trips. Also, who knows if the border will be open, maybe it'll be 2022....

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by zeljkok; 05-04-2021 at 03:00 AM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2021, 07:25 PM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, backpacking, kayaking

2022 looks better.

I am from (and in) US, but follow the threads on this site (ClubTread) regarding closures.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...read-1.5999366

Not only is nonessential travel restricted between provinces (at least BC and AB), it is now restricted within BC.
There doesn't seem much appetite on either side to open the border this summer.

As most of the big cruise lines will not be visiting Alaska this summer, maybe a return trip to the state would satisfy the adventure drive.

To plan for 2022, there are some wonderful trip reports on this site, and YouTube also offers good material.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page