Can you buy Mat Gunn's book anywhere? - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By zeljkok

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Can you buy Mat Gunn's book anywhere?

I'm looking at getting into more scrambling, likely next year now, but I want to buy Matt Gunn's book as a resource. It doesn't seem to be for sale anywhere that I can see. Does anyone know where I might find it? Is it sold in any stores I'm not aware of?

If it's really not possible to get, is there any other similar resource for scrambling in BC?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 09:11 PM
Summit Master

According to Author web page "book is out of stock due to uncertainty regarding the COVID pandemic"

https://coastbackcountry.com/scrambl...tish-columbia/

Quick look at Amazon reveals one copy available but for ~170 CAD (!!). Assuming it is all sold out at usual outlets (Valhalla pure, Atmosphere etc). best bet is probably to post somewhere on social media & see if someone will sell used copy.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 09:13 PM
Headed for the Mountains

PulpFiction Books in Vancouver has a copy. The book is getting quite scarce. See http://pulpfictionbooksvancouver.com...sandhours.html Probably best to call the Main Street Store.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 10:11 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricouni View Post
PulpFiction Books in Vancouver has a copy. The book is getting quite scarce. See http://pulpfictionbooksvancouver.com...sandhours.html Probably best to call the Main Street Store.
Thank you I will give them a try tomorrow! I do want the book but I'm not paying $170 for it haha.

There doesn't seem to be any other real resources for scrambling in any organized way that I can find and this book is all anyone seems to talk about. Steven Songs website is the best I've come across but it's not really organized in any way that makes it easy to find what is beginner/intermediate/hard.

So far my experience with scrambling has been whenever a hike I've wanted to do anyway has involved scrambling, like Crown Mountain, Lady Peak, Brunswick, MacFarlane, Black Tusk etc. but I want to now focus on scrambling over hiking as I feel it is more fulfilling.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2020, 11:06 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knapman47 View Post
Steven Songs website is the best I've come across but it's not really organized in any way that makes it easy to find what is beginner/intermediate/hard.

Steven Song is mountaineer & alpine climber. His standard nowdays for easy ascent is several notches above what most of us consider moderate scrambling

An option is 103 Hikes book. Don't let "hikes" fool you; there are many overlaps with M. Gunn book (Brunswick, Tusk, Pano Ridge, Golden Ears to name a few), and some that are not even in Gunn book, but are scrambles (i.e. Harvey, Elsay). Also in some cases you can use 103 Hike for approach and then just continue to peak following your nose (Brandywine, Rainbow etc).
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 05:30 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Or just follow Spectrums' posts on this site, haha. I think he's closing in on 1003.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

So I tried both Pulp Fiction book stores, Main and Kits, no dice. They said if they ever get that book they usually sell it online as it usually gets a decent amount of $ since it's hard to find these days. Guess I'll keep looking through second hand book stores and just hope for the best!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2020, 08:46 PM
Summit Master

5thhorseman is right. There are tons of scrambling TRs posted here, not just Spectrum. Search for simonc TRs for instance. Sadly he doesn't come here anymore, but every TR he posted is really well documented, and has many trips that can't be found anywhere else, at least not in printed form. Cache on your phone at home before hike & you have mobile guidebook for free.
xj6response likes this.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2020, 01:20 PM
Hittin' the Trails

In case of use: I got a copy last year from MEC.

Unfortunately some of these OOP guidebooks go for silly money - Selkirks South, for example, which I have seen listed for >C$100. I guess the authors don't have the rights to publish an electronic version as that seems like a simple fix.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 05:48 PM
High on the Mountain Top

I'm guessing Matt Gunn would discourage reprints of his books as a lot of info, especially access, trail conditions is stale. They're still amazing books. His book, "Hikes Around Invermere & the Columbia River Valley" (with Aaron Cameron) is our go-to reference for Purcell rocky mtn hikes in the Invermere area, even though a lot of info is outdated. Some trails are now totally inaccessible, obliterated or actually more accessible and upgraded since the late 90's

His BC coast scrambles book is a gem, we keep it well secured.

Matt Gunn is on FB from time to time. I suppose someone could message him and ask about his books

post #11 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 06:00 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj6response View Post
lot of info, especially access, trail conditions is stale.

That is the problem with printed hiking guidebooks. As soon as it comes out of press, something has already changed. In Rockies Daffern just issued brand spanking new reissues of her K-country guidebooks in 2013 and historic floods happened, invalidating half of access info.

Printed guidebooks are thing of the past IMHO. Authors provide updates online, but it just doesn't work. Digital form is way to go.

They do look nice on coffee table in living room though. I got both M. Gunn scrambles and Invermere guidebooks and frequently flip through.

Last edited by zeljkok; 10-17-2020 at 06:04 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page