4Likes
  • 2 Post By hikerguy
  • 1 Post By TimeToGoHiking
  • 1 Post By hikerguy

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-01-2020, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Default Roe Creek FSR Cabin Barricaded

Long story short, there were recently several large boulders placed in the driveway of this rustic cabin to prevent people from using it. People who access Cypress Peak and Brew Lake will know this cabin well. On a hunch, I contacted Northwest Landscape and Stone Supply (604-435-4842‬) today who have several mineral claims (rock harvesting) in the area but not under this cabin and spoke with Bob Tiller (Manager). He said they put the boulders there and has every right to do so under their mineral claim in order to protect their claims. He asked me if I owned the cabin, which I don’t, and neither does Mr Tilller. I have contacted Squamish MFLNR and the local Inspector of Mines Permitting regarding this issue and am waiting for a reply from the Inspector. What will this company do next...install a gate above Lucille Lake to keep everyone out of Roe Creek?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2020, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

It is possible they are worried about the economics of the project, maybe they fear hikers taking rock samples.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

The rocks have now been removed.
cutthroat22 and xj6response like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerguy View Post

That is good to know, thank you .

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2020, 06:39 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Quote:
Thanks for the heads up, weather permitting we were planning a little jaunt up that way soon.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2020, 12:42 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Traveling, Kayaking, Hiking, Biking

They're removing the bridge over Roe Creek on the 26th
There's 28 new cross ditches on Roe FSR and the R220 road is blocked
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-24-2020, 08:05 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. B View Post
They're removing the bridge over Roe Creek on the 26th
There's 28 new cross ditches on Roe FSR and the R220 road is blocked
I heard about this. Seems incredible excessive if they are removing the bridge. As for the cabin, its good to hear the boulderss have been removed. I'm sure the builders are thankful for you not posting the detailed location.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 11-07-2020, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellcoffin View Post
I heard about this. Seems incredible excessive if they are removing the bridge. As for the cabin, its good to hear the boulderss have been removed. I'm sure the builders are thankful for you not posting the detailed location.
I think the builder may have expired a few years ago....it's a pretty old cabin.

As far as the Roe Creek bridge goes, it has been removed. Now I am wondering, how will Powder Mountain Catskiing get across the creek in the winter as this is their route to Cypress?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 11-10-2020, 09:44 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Getting across the creek is one problem, the tank traps on the road on the east side are another. I'm thinking the logging company that removed the bridge doesn't like the cat skiing operation.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 11-12-2020, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I think the builder may have expired a few years ago....it's a pretty old cabin.

As far as the Roe Creek bridge goes, it has been removed. Now I am wondering, how will Powder Mountain Catskiing get across the creek in the winter as this is their route to Cypress?
That is so unreal; there goes my favourite access up to Brew Lake, Cabin, & Mountain

K

post #11 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2020, 12:24 AM
Scaling New Heights

Interest: Hiking, Scuba diving, Underwater Photography

On Nov 11 I was hoping to go up Brew however the road was blockaded and the bridge was gone. I did though get to talk to the logging contractor that was working further up the other road and the bridge was removed due to rotten wood that was about to give out. He said that the bridge is not going to be replaced as there is no active logging up there.

He did say though that during the winter he thinks that the snow cats will have no trouble making a snow bridge to cross the river and had no problems with that.

Another thing that he mentioned is that they they were in consultation with one of the hiking clubs and if they raise the money for a foot bridge that the logging company would build it. He could not remember the clubs names and I did not ask about how much would be needed.

Side note: there were people at Roe cabin when I drove past.
sidetrip likes this.

What is my goal in life? To enjoy the great outdoors as much as I can
post #12 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 02:47 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Planning on heading up to Brew Hut, Saturday morning. Is it now impossible to cross Roe Creek via the FSR? Any other options? Thanks!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 11-19-2020, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Scaling New Heights

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeToGoHiking View Post
He did say though that during the winter he thinks that the snow cats will have no trouble making a snow bridge to cross the river and had no problems with that.

Another thing that he mentioned is that they they were in consultation with one of the hiking clubs and if they raise the money for a foot bridge that the logging company would build it. He could not remember the clubs names and I did not ask about how much would be needed.
The question isn't whether or not they are able to make a snow bridge through the creek, they certainly do have the ability to do so with their equipment, but whether or not they have permission to do so by MFLNR and MOE. You can get further information by contacting FrontCounterBC at 1-877-855-3222. In some situations one has only give notice they will be building a snow bridge across a creek, or river, and in other situations there is a lot of paper work involved.

I think the club that the gentleman may have been referring to is the FMCBC.
TimeToGoHiking likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page