Stonerabbit Peak Approach - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-29-2020, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Hittin' the Trails

Default Stonerabbit Peak Approach

Hello,

I've scrambled up Stonerabbit Peak twice, but more than 15 years ago. I'm hoping to do it again this summer. I've tried digging up some trip reports, but I haven't been able to find any recent ones.

I'm wondering if anybody has any up-to-date beta on the FSR/approach quality, and if anybody can confirm my (fuzzy) memory of how to get there.

If I recall correctly, we drive Chehalis FSR from just behind the Sasquatch Inn up to Skwellepill Creek and there take the Skwellepill FSR towards the base of Stonerabbit. At the Skwellepill turn-off, there is more than one logging road starting. I've marked the one I think we need with green circles. Is that the right one?

Way back then we were able to take a solid beefy 4WD and get as far as the 8th circle on that map and then walk from there. I've been told the road conditions have much deteriorated. Furthermore, while I'd still be using a 4WD, it'll be a Rav 4 that I treat slightly more delicate. Any thoughts on how far up Skwellepill we'd be able to get these days? And then as for the rest of the road, is it worth bringing a mountainbike to travel the rest to where the scramble starts, or is the road so rough that walking is just as fast?

Planning to drive/cycle/hike in to the base in the afternoon/evening, set up camp, and then scramble up and down the following day.

Will post a trip-report here with some photos afterwards.

Thanks,

Jaap Suter - http://jaapsuter.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	114265401_209216023845497_251181703592890561_n.png
Views:	11
Size:	709.5 KB
ID:	278412  

Click image for larger version

Name:	113633086_1164134187291920_2534724652112034700_n.png
Views:	9
Size:	3.36 MB