COVID-19 in BC Coast Mountains - Page 2 - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Great update martin; more like a full blown trip report!

One question: So Grind / BCMC / FF are not officially closed? I think Grouse slopes below resort are under GVRD jurisdiction and not provincial park and thus still open. Is this right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 03:14 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Great update martin; more like a full blown trip report!

One question: So Grind / BCMC / FF are not officially closed? I think Grouse slopes below resort are under GVRD jurisdiction and not provincial park and thus still open. Is this right?
Thanks zeljkok, Grind is still closed, BCMC is open. The main Grouse parking lot is blocked off, just a small section of the gravel lot is open, and I think that's Grouse property because they charge parking fees, so it's a bit of a weird situation. No provincial park near there, just Grouse Mountain Regional park. The BCMC crosses over from park to private land on the way up, I think they want to try and re-route it in places. I will try to find a map.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 02:01 AM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

]CULTUS LAKE, checked out. parked on road side not even two minutes, and park patrol informs us the park is closed, and $115 fine for non-compliance, i.e. do not use beach, picnic tables, or any part of the park.

Elk Trailhead is closed, with a line and "closed sign"..
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200412_120238.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	274598
further in remote areas see some campers; very few along the main Chilliwack River Rd.

Foley Lake, ... no closed sign seen... less than a few dozen campers throughout the area:

Name:	20200412_151458[1].jpg
Views:	147
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	274594

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............

Last edited by KARVITK; 04-13-2020 at 02:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARVITK View Post
]CULTUS LAKE, checked out. parked on road side not even two minutes, and park patrol informs us the park is closed, and $115 fine for non-compliance, i.e. do not use beach, picnic tables, or any part of the park.

Attachment 274594

Nice update; not sure I understood, did you actually have to pay $115 fine or the officer only informed you about the rules?
post #20 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 03:10 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Default Covid Closures

Hi Folks,
First post here.
I took my family to PineconeBurke to just go around Buntzen lake back on about March 25th and the whole park was closed. That was before the announcement came out that all provincial parks in BC were closed. Surprisingly, the Coquitlam Crunch trail was still open that day. A much more confined trail, with more users. Makes no sense but I guess it doesn't have to.

Other local trails, like the Abby Grind, were open as recently as yesterday.

I was surprised not to find a covid closure thread here.

Can you copy and paste the list of trails that are closed, and which ones are open, along with the date that it was last useable?

Abby Grind - open on April 12th
post #21 of (permalink) Old 04-13-2020, 03:25 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatHiker29 View Post
Hi Folks,
I was surprised not to find a covid closure thread here.

Great first post. This is COVID-19 conditions/closures thread, so please post your updates here not as separate trip report. If you read above, there is quite a bit of updates on North Shore etc already
post #22 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 01:31 PM
Summit Master

Default LSCR bike ride

Had to get out on the weekend, the weather was so nice. We rode bikes east along the new Low Level road, which is way more bike friendly than it used to be, past the grain terminals. There seemed to be more than the usual number of larger train engines at the rail yard (49.307,-123.043), After riding further east over Lynn and Seymour rivers we rode north on Riverside Drive towards LSCR. Near the end of Riverside Drive we saw a bylaw officer handing out tickets, but I think this is normal for this area, it is a popular trail and there are no places to park. Further north we crossed the new suspension bridge, which is pretty fancy.

Name:	bridge.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	592.8 KB
ID:	274634

We rode up along Fisherman's trail to the mid-valley picnic area and had some lunch. Fisherman's trail is closed due to a "washout", but it's really only a small section that has slumped that you have to carry your bike over. Not worth closing the trail IMO. A few bike riders came and went while we were at mid-valley, I would say it was a bit busier than usual. The parking lots at both LSCR and Lynn Valley Headwaters are both closed so people were riding in from wherever. The picnic tables, drinking fountains and various other things were taped up.

Name:	IMG_3093.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	274636

One of the stranger things we saw was on the bridge coming back over Lynn Creek, there was an attendant at each end like flag persons at a road construction site, and only one party could cross the bridge at a time.
zeljkok likes this.
post #23 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 02:19 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Flora Lake Trail was closed yesterday. I couldn't find anything on the internet yesterday saying that the trail was closed before we got there, but there are Covid warning signs up.

There were cars parked on the road outside, and we saw a couple hiking back out, but we didn't venture in.

My wife said that there's a $500 fine per person if you're caught there, but I didn't think to ask if she could read that from the sign or if it's just something that she heard about elsewhere. I was too busy swearing about our PM, who just crossed a provincial border himself to go away for Easter while the rest of the country can't cross the Que/Ont border for personal reason or go basically anywhere for that matter.

Last edited by zeljkok; 04-14-2020 at 02:50 PM.
post #24 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 02:53 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Flora Lake Trail was closed yesterday. I couldn't find anything on the internet yesterday saying that the trail was closed before we got there, but there are Covid warning signs up.

There were cars parked on the road outside, and we saw a couple hiking back out, but we didn't venture in.

My wife said that there's a $500 fine per person if you're caught there, but I didn't think to ask if she could read that from the sign or if it's just something that she heard about elsewhere. I was too busy swearing about our PM, who just crossed a provincial border himself to go away for Easter while the rest of the country can't cross the Que/Ont border for personal reason or go basically anywhere for that matter.

PhatHiker -- please note this is not discussion about political leaders and government policies, so please stick with conditions update only.

Thank you for nice Flora Lake trail update.
post #25 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

Interest: Hiking, Snowshoeing, and Photography. Enjoying the outdoors fresh air and fitness experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
Nice update; not sure I understood, did you actually have to pay $115 fine or the officer only informed you about the rules?
No we were there so briefly sitting in vehicle. We were just advised, and several were assessed trying to break the rules.

K

Hiking is what keeps you young of mind and heart. When the going gets tough, the tough get going..............
post #26 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2020, 10:56 PM
Headed for the Mountains

Quote:
That is because it is part of Chilliwack lake provincial park.
zeljkok likes this.
post #27 of (permalink) Old 04-15-2020, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator

Sumas Regional Park was open on Sunday:

View from near lookout atop Sumas Peak

Name:	20200413_121309.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	850.3 KB
ID:	274692

McKee Hill from 2nd parking lot

Name:	DSC06000.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	842.7 KB
ID:	274694

Parking lot @ 700 meters elevation

Name:	20200413_132307.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	274690
zeljkok and dcc_028 like this.

post #28 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2020, 07:45 PM
Scaling New Heights

Wow, I'm surprised they closed Elk!

Not much to add from me but I was in Squamish Valley recently and none of those trails (High Falls, Crooked Falls) were roped off or anything - and it was actually very busy there! Now with the fire, access may be difficult.

Also, not really a hike but I was at Pitt Lake yesterday for sunrise and they just had some signs up about keeping your distance. No closure.
KARVITK likes this.
post #29 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2020, 05:19 PM
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc_028 View Post
Also, not really a hike but I was at Pitt Lake yesterday for sunrise and they just had some signs up about keeping your distance. No closure.
Interesting, it was closed last Sunday. Hard to get info online regarding closure status.
post #30 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2020, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Hike and snowshoe to Mt. Benedict; Parking area in common for Davis Lake Provincial Park and our mountain. We saw at least 10 cars parked; yet only 3 or 4 other groups hiking up the mountain. Strongly believe several people disregarded Davis Lake Provincial Park closures.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page