COVID-19 in BC Coast Mountains - ClubTread Community

User Tag List

24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Default COVID-19 in BC Coast Mountains

This thread is for outdoors related updates & discussion in BC Coast Mountains during COVID-19 Pandemic. Please leave generic pandemic discussion outside this thread; focus is on trail / outdoors & conditions. For instance:

• What is still open and what has been closed?
  • How is Grind now that Gondola is off? Significantly less people? If you hiked all the way up to upper terminal, how is it up there now that everything is closed?
  • Did you cycle up Seymour road, or Cypress road? How about Golden Ears road or Manning?
  • Has Mamquam Main been gated? How about Chilliwack Lake road?
  • If you live in Whistler and were able to cycle Cheakamus road, then hike up to Garibaldi -- how is up there now?
  • While recreation is still allowed, how are hikers / cyclists on local trails respecting social distancing rules. Etc etc.
Vancouver Island more than welcome -- how are Vic Trails, Strathcona etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Initial update by clayriley:

Quote:
Just a heads up that Golden Ears and Porteau Cove parks are now closed due to the increase in # of visitors and people not practicing social distancing. This includes all trails as well as the beach areas. They say they will be monitoring and dishing out fines if you are caught in the park. Too bad.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 07:58 PM
Summit Master

Interest: I enjoy hiking

I've been getting up Grouse. It's pretty quiet these days in the morning anyway (before 8am), but I did pass a few people hiking down the BCMC last Saturday, I was going down they were going up. Well spaced out though. The grind is closed due to the regular winter closure and also for trail maintenance. There are workers either there or on the BCMC, which has seen some improvements to the lower section. I've seen the workers getting ready at the bottom but not sure whether they were heading to fix the grind or the bcmc. This morning I hiked up Larsen to the bottom of the Cut and down Mackay, and I didn't see anybody until on the powerline trail, which is plenty wide to pass 2m away from people.
Here's a short clip from a couple of weeks ago, just after the tram closed:
https://vimeo.com/404108758
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2807.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	957.5 KB
ID:	274418

Name:	IMG_2922.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	274420

Name:	IMG_2880.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	866.7 KB
ID:	274422

Name:	IMG_2916.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	2.26 MB
ID:	274424
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2020, 08:27 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Great update martin! This pandemic is super serious, but ability to recreate locally is also essential for mental sanity. It would not be unexpected if Grouse (regardless of way up -- Grind, BCMC, etc) gets closed for hiking if people don't obey social distancing rules, as it is so popular and accessible.

Keep it coming!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2020, 12:57 PM
High on the Mountain Top

Interest: Photography, Nature Observation, Health & Fitness, Nutrition, Shinrin-yoku

Abby Grind in Abbotsford was busy today beginning at 7am but good to see people respecting social distancing.
Blue Heron Nature Reserve wasn't too busy. The Interpretation Center is closed and there are signs to remind people about keeping 6.5 feet apart.
Chilliwack Lake Road has been busier since school was closed. Most people fish early then it gets busier with noisy trail bikes and quads but there are less crowds on portions of the Trans Canada Trail. Chilliwack Lake Park is closed including the trails therefore can't hike Lindeman Lake.
Pierce Lake trail in Chilliwack Valley only has a couple of vehicles parked at the most. Boot prints stop before the snow get deep thus the advantage of microspikes and snowshoes.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 11:50 AM
Summit Master

Went to Manning Park on Sunday and did an easy ski up to to the 1860m bump NW of Little Muddy creek, east of the ski area. We filled up with gas and food before leaving so we wouldn't have to stop anywhere along the way. The resort area and campgrounds are blocked off, only the roads are open. We saw only a couple of people at the parking area and then solitude all day. It was so quiet you could have probably heard someone crumple a bag of chips half a km away. No wind, overcast skies with a light snow falling. Not even the usual jets flying overhead.

Name:	DSC05749.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	274542
WildernessMan likes this.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Interesting; were there any Park Officers parked to ensure no vehicle access? In Canmore they are now parked daily to make sure nobody drives up on Spray road.

Also an interesting article: Can mozzies spread the Virus?
https://www.cbc.ca/news/mosquitoes-c...ered-1.5523773

Last edited by zeljkok; 04-07-2020 at 02:28 PM.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2020, 08:33 PM
Summit Master

No park officers, the roads leading into the lodge area were blocked with snow and barricades, as well as the last bit of road to the ski area. I believe you could still drive to Lightning day use area. It's not like the Cypress Bowl road.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 12:18 PM
Hittin' the Trails

https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020...D85hVR_8Y8Xot8

All BC Parks are closed now. All recreation and camping is prohibited in both front and back country.

Am I correct in understanding that I can still recreate on crown land for now?
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwmbm View Post
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2020...D85hVR_8Y8Xot8

All BC Parks are closed now. All recreation and camping is prohibited in both front and back country.

Am I correct in understanding that I can still recreate on crown land for now?

This was likely issued today because of coming long weekend.

Re crown land: It all boils down to who has authority over something. Feds manage national parks, provinces provincial parks, municipalities their local recreation areas etc. Then there is crown land. Right now there is no total lockdown order so one can recreate on crown land as long as social distancing rules are followed. But they really want us to stay at home as much as possible & not venture out for anything except essentials. That is how I interpret the whole thing.

Last edited by zeljkok; 04-08-2020 at 02:29 PM.
post #11 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 03:18 PM
Hittin' the Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeljkok View Post
This was likely issued today because of coming long weekend.

Re crown land: It all boils down to who has authority over something. Feds manage national parks, provinces provincial parks, municipalities their local recreation areas etc. Then there is crown land. Right now there is no total lockdown order so one can recreate on crown land as long as social distancing rules are followed. But they really want us to stay at home as much as possible & not venture out for anything except essentials. That is how I interpret the whole thing.
I can appreciate that. There are nuances though.

1. Dr Henry encourages people to go outside
2. Dr Henry just yesterday said you're extremely unlikely to get the virus outdoors
3. For a lot of people suffering with mental health being outdoors is the only thing that keeps them sane and away from making some very bad decisions.

Closing down remote BC parks while leaving Stanley park open does nothing to prevent the spread, and in fact facilitates it in my (admittedly uneducated) opinion.
Scorpio and WildernessMan like this.
post #12 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Summit Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwwmbm View Post
I can appreciate that. There are nuances though.

1. Dr Henry encourages people to go outside
2. Dr Henry just yesterday said you're extremely unlikely to get the virus outdoors
3. For a lot of people suffering with mental health being outdoors is the only thing that keeps them sane and away from making some very bad decisions.

Closing down remote BC parks while leaving Stanley park open does nothing to prevent the spread, and in fact facilitates it in my (admittedly uneducated) opinion.

I am also one of these people that believes recreation -- as long as it is done responsibly, following social distancing rules, etc -- is essential even more so in these times. Physical well being, mental sanity, etc etc. Look at Spectrum reports, these are great examples. But this leads into different type of discussion, one social media is probably full off; this thread is just for sharing of info and facts.

Very interesting about Stanley Park, and thanks for pointing this out. Third beach was always full of close knit people smoking grass, banging on drums etc. Wonder how will this look now, specially on a sunny day? Will police be patrolling the area and issuing fines?
post #13 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2020, 07:26 PM
Summit Master

Stanley park will be interesting, no cars allowed just walking and bikes. I think this is a good idea.

The latest in N.Van is that the district is closing down some roads that are close to trailheads to locals only.
https://www.nsnews.com/news/north-va...ads-1.24115168

I thought this was a strange sight yesterday.

Name:	basketball.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	510.5 KB
ID:	274548
zeljkok likes this.
post #14 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2020, 12:24 AM Thread Starter
Summit Master

That's quite original pic. Keep it & don't throw away. This is history now in the making, hopefully with happy ending.
post #15 of (permalink) Old 04-11-2020, 01:10 PM
Summit Master

Default F F and more tree vandalism

Went up Flint yesterday for some exercise. There were a few people heading up BCMC trail. Two GVRD workers doing some construction or something near the bottom of the Grind. Trail builders are continuing to do great work on the bottom section of the BCMC, almost up to the 1/4 point now. That was some of the worst parts of the trail, erosion-wise. Snow started after the bluffs.

Name:	Img_3005.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	550.2 KB
ID:	274572

Not much traffic on Lions Gate Bridge at 2 in the afternoon. It was very hazy.

Name:	Img_9896.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	274574

Out of the corner of my eye I see something shiny on the rocks.

Name:	Img_9897.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	274584

There are two climbing bolts.

Name:	Img_3011.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	481.4 KB
ID:	274580

I look down and see a bunch of trees had been cut. Is this another Metro Vancouver scheme to improve the forest? The only thing I can think of is reconnaissance work for the new tram they have been talking about. But these bluffs are in the park, I thought.

Name:	Img_3009.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	631.5 KB
ID:	274576

Name:	Img_3012.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	653.6 KB
ID:	274578

I started heading down BCMC and ran into a warning sign to stay off Grouse lands.

Name:	Img_3014.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	433.7 KB
ID:	274582

Went down a bit more and then onto the ski run to get a glimpse of Seymour.

Name:	Img_9900.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	274586

I took the Larsen and various other trails down, very pleasant in the forest. Didn't see anyone til back at the TH, which wasn't that busy.
WildernessMan likes this.

Last edited by martin; 04-11-2020 at 01:12 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page